The Journal of steroid biochemistry and molecular biology · Feb 2017, DOI: 10.1016/j.jsbmb.2017.01.021
Pawel Pludowski, Michael F. Holick, William B., Grant, Jerzy Konstantynowicz, Mario R. Mascarenhas, Afrozul Haq, Vladyslav Povoroznyuk, Nataliya Balatska, Ana Paula Barbosa, Tatiana Karonova, Ema Rudenka, Waldemar, Misiorowski, Irina Zakharova, Alena Rudenka, Jacek Łukaszkiewicz, Ewa Marcinowska-Suchowierska, Natalia Łaszcz, Pawel Abramowicz, Harjit P. Bhattoa, Sunil J. Wimalawansa
|Neonates||< 1 month||1,000 IU||25 mcg|
|Infants||1 - 12 months||2000-3000 IU||50-75 mcg/|
|Children and adolescents||1 - 18 years||3000-5000 IU||75–125 mcg|
|Adults and the elderly||18+ years||7000–10,000 IU |
- “It is generally accepted that a serum 25(OH)D concentration of up to 100 ng/mL is safe for children and adults, with the exception of those who have a hypersensitivity to vitamin D.”
- ““The Endocrine Society guidelines concluded that vitamin D toxicity is not only extremely rare, but 25(OH)D concentration of at least 150 ng/mL is required before there would be evidence of vitamin D toxicity.”
- “25(OH)D concentrations of 30-50 ng/mL (75-125 nmol/L) are beneficial for overall health
- Increased vitamin D needs for Overweight/Obese, Pregnant, Premies, Sick, etc.
- People with genes (5 kinds) which restrict blood vitamin D from getting to the cells
- Cofactor adjustments when Vitamin D level is > 30 ng for > 1 year
- Loading dose - to quickly restore vitamin D levels
- Other types of vitamin D - for those with poor guts, vegitarians, . .
- Other forms of vitamin D: topical, injection, inhaled, Calcitriol, etc.
- Hypersensitivity is often due to low levels of Magnesium
- When to take the vitamin D (with largest meal of the day)
Getting Vitamin D into your body has the following chart
- 1000 IU should be the new vitamin D RDA (if you think 20 ng is enough) - May 2017
- Vitamin D math mistake had been made, adults need at least 8000 IU – July 2017
- 50,000 IU of vitamin D every two weeks – Jordan conclusion - RCT July 2017
- Vitamin D needs in 2004:1000 IU, 10 years later same author says 3,500 IU Dr. Holick
- Is 50 ng of vitamin D too high, just right, or not enough
- Vitamin D Recommendations around the world - IU and ng has the following 2012 chart