Sleep Apnea 253 items as of Oct 2018
Search VitaminDWiki for (sleep OR insomnia) Magnesium 234 items as of Oct 2018
The following are items in the category= SLEEP
- wiki page:
- Insomnia reduces work performance
- Very short sleep associated with low Vitamin D – Aug 2014
- Children short sleep 12 percent more likely for each 1 ng lower vitamin D at birth – Oct 2018
- Poor sleep 1.5 X more likely if less than 20 ng of Vitamin D – meta-analysis Oct 2018
- Sleep disorders and Autism, TB, etc. (all have low vitamin D) – March 2018
- Omega-3 greatly reduced sleep deprivation problems in rats – June 2018
- Obese elderly with low vitamin D decreases sleeping well by 30 percent and living together by 8 percent – May 2018
- Autism associated with sleep problems
- Sleep half hour longer if OK level of Vitamin D (2-year olds) – April 2018
- Happy Nurses Project gave Omega-3 for 3 months – reduced depression, insomnia, anxiety, etc for a year – RCT July 2018
- Sleep problems cured by vitamin D, etc. – workshops and patient workbooks – Gominak 2018
- The worse the sleep apnea, the lower the vitamin D levels – meta-analysis Dec 2017
- Insomnia treatment 12X less likely to be effective if low vitamin D – Oct 2017
- Sleep Problems in Pregnancy Tied to Premature Births (no surprise, both related to low vitamin D) – Aug 2017
- Vitamin D improves sleep and reduces pain – review of studies - July 2017
- Poor sleep associated with low vitamin D (again) – July 2017
- Sleeps disorders nicely treated by Vitamin D (50,000 IU bi-weekly) – RCT May 2017
- Poor sleep quality in mid-pregnancy 3.5 X more likely if low vitamin D – March 2017
- Sleep problems reduced by vitamin D - Autistics and controls – July 2016
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea reduced by Omega-3 – June 2016
- Sleep Apnea patients – 98 percent had low vitamin D – Feb 2016
- Hypothesis – Vitamin B-12 deficiency is associated with Vitamin D deficiency
- The Better Sleep Vitamin (Vitamin D) – nice 3 dollar book Feb 2015
- 1 night without sleep affects insulin resistance as much as 6 months of high fat diet (vitamin D not mentioned) – Nov 2015
- Hypothesis – reduced circadian rhythms, not vitamin D nor melatonin is the risk factor for many health problems – Sept 2015
- 4.5X more likely to catch a cold if low sleep - hypothesis - due to low vitamin D
- African-Americans with poor sleep have lower levels of vitamin D – Aug 2015
- Sleep, Vitamin D, Vitamin B-12, IBS, Fibromyalgia - Gominak March 2015
- Poor sleep strongly associated with pain in seniors (both associated with low vitamin D) – March 2015
- Longer time to fall to sleep in winter unless eat salmon (vitamin D and Omega-3) – May 2014
- More screen time, less sleep (probably due to less vitamin D) – Feb 2015
- Restless Legs Syndrome dramatically reduced by vitamin D, etc
- Sleep longer if have more vitamin D – Aug 2014
- Vitamin D and Neurologic Disorders (overview of vitamin D) - handout Dr. Gominak April 2013
- COPD helped by weekly 50,000 IU Vitamin D – several trials
- Sleep disorders cured by 60-80 ng of vitamin D and some B vitamins – March 2013
- Sleep disorder and nonspecific pain implies low vitamin D, especially if dark skin – March 2013
- Handout on Vitamin D (Hormone D) and sleep - Gominak 2012
- Severe Sleep Loss Reduced Immune System – wonder about vitamin D reduction – July 2012
- 7 improvements in lives of veterans with chronic pain with 50,000 IU vitamin D weekly – June 2012
- Severe sleep apnea increased chance by 4.8 X of cancer death: low vitamin D – May 2012
- Many sleep disorders cured with vitamin D levels of 60 to 80 nanograms – May 2012
- Analysis by a person found that vitamin D at night somewhat disrupts sleep - Feb 2012
- Poor sleep and lack of vitamin D - Nov 2011
- Narcolepsy with Cataplexy was 5X higher if low Vitamin D – May 2011
- Sleep Apnea and vitamin D - Jan 2011
- Exploring sleep problems in children with developmental disabilities BMC March 2018, free PDF
"...autism spectrum disorder ... had higher scores on the night waking, parasomnias (abnormal behavior during sleep), and daytime sleepiness subscales of the questionnaire."
Children with autism spectrum disorder predominantly experience difficulties with night waking and falling asleep
- Fatty Liver and Sleep Apnea are Related NYT Feb 2015
- Sleep-disordered breathing advances cognitive decline in the elderly Neurology J., April 2015
COPD treatment delays cognitive decline in people with COPD by 10 years
Wonder if COPD machines/treatment increase vitamin D levels
- Why We Sleep: The New Science of Sleep and Dreams Mercola Feb 2018
Includes a video interview
20 large-scale studies agree - the shorter your sleep, the shorter your life
...sleeplessness contributes to dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, diabetes, heart disease and obesity.
"Sleep-Deprived Drivers More Dangerous Than Those Under the Influence"
In the spring when we lose one hour of sleep ==> 24 % increase in heart attacks.
In the fall, when we gain one hour of sleep, we see a 21 % decrease in heart attacks
after a single short sleep night (4 hour) natural cancer killer cells — drop by 75 %
- Sleep — Why You Need It and 50 Ways to Improve It Mercola March 2018
No mention of Vitamin D nor Vitamin Bs
- Lack of sleep increases risk of catching a cold by 4X Mercola Sept 2015
Circadian Rhythms, Melatonin, Vitamin D, or what?
- The influence of vitamin D supplementation on melatonin status in patients with multiple sclerosis Aug 2014
Modest (6%) decrease in Melatonin if take an average of 4,400 IU of vitamin D
PDF is behind a paywall. Suspect that they took the vitamin D at or after the evening meal
Far easier to sleep if take the Vitamin D in the morning and Magnesium in the evening
- Vitamin D and Actigraphic Sleep Outcomes in Older Community-Dwelling Men: The MrOS Sleep Study Feb 2015 free text online
- Vitamin D Associations and Sleep Physiology—Promising Rays of Information Feb 2015, free text online
- Vitamin D as an Underlying Factor in Sleep-Related Issues Dec 2012
- A Quiet Drug Problem Among the Elderly NY Times March 2018, nothing about Vitamin D
Insomnia and anti-anxiety drugs such as benzodiazepines = “benzos,” t: Valium (diazepam), Klonopin (clonazepam), Xanax (alprazolam) and Ativan (lorazepam). can be addicting (need increasing dose sizes)
"By 2015, benzo deaths in that age group (>65) had jumped to 431, with more than two-thirds involving an opioid. (Benzo-related deaths in all age groups totaled 8,791.)"
" “z-drugs” — Ambien, Sonata and Lunesta — present similar risks."  Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
- Ten tips for better sleep Examine.com Sept 2018
Discusses Magnesium, but not Vitamin D nor Omega-3
What happened when I tried the U.S. Army’s tactic to fall asleep in two minutes Oct 2018
Simple visualization and relaxation techniques -Takes 2-6 weeks of practice
- "Sit on the edge of your bed. Make sure only your bedside light is on, your phone is silenced, and your alarm is set for the morning.
- "Now relax your facial muscles. First tighten them up in a wincing motion, and then slowly let your muscles naturally loosen. And let your tongue fall any which way in your mouth."
- "Once your face feels like deflated putty, let gravity pull your shoulders naturally toward the ground. Let your arms dangle too, one side at a time.
- "While doing this, breathe in and out, listening to the sound of your breath. With each breath, let your chest relax further and then let gravity relax your thighs and lower legs."
- "Once your body feels like nothing more than a loosely formed lump of clay, try to clear your mind for 10 seconds. If thoughts come naturally, let them pass–just keep your body loose and limp. After a few more seconds you mind should feel clearer."
- "Now picture one of the following two scenarios: you lying in a canoe in a calm lake with clear blue skies above you; or you in a velvet hammock, gently swaying in a pitch-black room. If you happen to be a person who isn’t great at visualization, you can instead chant the mantra, “Don’t think, don’t think, don’t think” for 10 seconds instead."
Short URL = https://is.gd/SleepD