Review in Dynamic Chiropractic
Highlights of a small study by Penckofer
- Senior women who had been diabetic for 8 years
- Given 50,000 IU vitamin D weekly for 6 months
- Blood levels raised from 18 ng to 38 ng.
- improved mood, as indicated by a 20-question depression symptom survey.
- 26.8 dropped to 12. (range 0-60)
- Blood pressure a dropped from 140.4 to 132.5 mm Hg.
Penckofer S, et al. Vitamin D improves mood and blood pressure in women with diabetes.
Presented at the American Diabetes Association's 73rd Scientific Sessions. (2013?)
Study conducted by the Loyola University Chicago Niehoff School of Nursing.
See also VitaminDWiki
- Overview Diabetes and vitamin D
- Search VitaminDWiki for Penckofer 32 items as of July 2017
- The new happy pill, vitamin D – Prevention July 2013
Items in both categories Diabetes and Deproession are listed here:
- Depression more likely if low vitamin D (3.5 X prediabetic women in this case) – Oct 2022
- Depression reduced in Diabetics with 3 months of 4,000 IU of vitamin D – RCT July 2019
- Depression twice as common in Diabetics (both have low vitamin D) – Aug 2018
- Vitamin D treatment of diabetes (50,000 IU every 2 weeks) augmented by probiotic – RCT June 2018
- MAGNESIUM IN MAN - IMPLICATIONS FOR HEALTH AND DISEASE – review 2015
- ALL of the top 10 health problems of women are associated with low vitamin D
- Depression 2X more common among diabetics, both associated with low vitamin D – 2014
- 50,000 IU Vitamin D weekly Improves Mood, Lowers Blood Pressure in Type 2 Diabetics – Oct 2013
- Hypothesis non-severe depression and diabetes related by low vitamin D – June 2011
- Chicago Sun Times on vitamin D: Depression, chest pain, fibromyalgia, Holick, 3000 IU without test - May 2010
- Table of outcomes for seniors vs vitamin D level