Evaluation of the effect of vitamin D3 supplementation on quantitative and qualitative parameters of spermograms and hormones in infertile men: A randomized controlled trial
Complementary Therapies in Medicine, Volume 53, September 2020, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2020.102529
Dosing just got half to 35 ng - not enough
Expect higher level/better results if they had used any of the following
- 50,000 every 5 days for 8 weeks
- 100,000 every week for 6 weeks
- 50,000 weekly for 12 weeks
Fertility and Sperm category contains the following summary
Overview Women and Vitamin D
Overview Pregnancy and vitamin D Fertility and Vitamin D – several articles
Ensure a healthy pregnancy and baby - take Vitamin D before conception
Search VitaminDWiki for IVF OR "IN VITRO FERTILIZATION" 345 items as of Sept 2019
Search VitaminDWiki for "Assisted reproduction" 177 items as of Sept 2019
Search VitaminDWiki for "polycystic ovary syndrome" OR PCOS" Sept 2019
Search VitaminDWiki fore Testosterone 77 items just in webpages as of Sept 2020
Search VitaminDWiki for "erectile dysfunction" 120 items as of July 2018
Conception and vitamin D snapshot as of 2012
- Live birth 1.7 X more likely after IVF if good level of vitamin D – meta-analysis Aug 2020
- If diagnosed infertile, more likely to have live birth if Vitamin D fortification – Feb 2020
- Infertility treatment needs to achieve at least 30 ng of vitamin D – May 2019
- Vitamin D is needed for human fertility – goal is 50 ng – Sept 2018
- Preconception vitamin D is great - every extra 10 ng associated with 10 percent more likely to have live birth – Aug 2018
- In-vitro Fertilization costs at least 10,000 dollars, Vitamin D costs 5 dollars
- Women with more than minimum vitamin D were 3.4 X more likely to achieve pregnancy and 1.6 X more likely to have live births – June 2017
- Assisted Reproduction – 5 studies concluded vitamin D repletion helps – Review March 2015
- Pregnancy success increased 30 percent if sunny (or vitamin D) one month earlier – June 2015
- IVF 4X more successful for white women with lots of vitamin D – Oct 2012 many studies
Increased male Vitamin D increases fertility
- Fertility (sperm) associated with vitamin D – meta-analysis Sept 2019
- Infertility - 71 percent of the time of BOTH partners had less than 20 ng of Vitamin D – Aug 2017
- Birth rates doubled with Vitamin D - 300,000 loading dose for men – RCT Nov 2017
- Male fertility 4 X higher if high Vitamin D – Nov 2015
- Vitamin D somewhat assists reproduction – both the mother and the father – May 2014
- Male fertility is improved in many ways by vitamin D – Jan 2014
25-Hydroxy Vitamin D3 is known to have an effect on reproductive system in both genders and may change the semen parameters in men.
Our study aimed to evaluate the effect of oral vitamin D3 supplementation on spermogram quantitative and qualitative parameters in infertile men.
Materials and Methods
This study was a triple-blind randomized controlled trial involving 62 infertile men with impaired spermatogonial tests. They were randomly divided into placebo and D3-supplemented groups. Spermograms and tests for LH (Luteinizing Hormone), FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone), TT (Total Testosterone), FT (Free Testosterone), SHBG (Sex Hormone Bonding Globulin), FAI (Free Androgen Index) and vitamin D3 levels were performed before and after the intervention.
There were no significant differences between the two groups in parameters of the spermograms or serum levels of LH, FSH, TT, and FAI. In the intervention group, SHBG was significantly decreased after intervention (p = 0.01) and there was a significant increase in FT in the placebo group (p = 0.03).
The intake of vitamin D3 did not change the quality and quantity of spermograms and serum levels of LH, FSH, TT, and FAI but affected FT and SHBG. Further studies are still needed to clarify the biological role of vitamin D3 on fertility particularly on male fertility. This study lays a foundation for more extensive studies on male infertility.
|484 visitors, last modified 27 Jun, 2021,