High-dose vitamin D supplementation is associated with an improvement in several cardio-metabolic risk factors in adolescent girls: a nine-week follow-up study.
Ann Clin Biochem. 2018 Mar;55(2):227-235. doi: 10.1177/0004563217707784. Epub 2017 Sep 6.
Khayyatzadeh SS1, Mirmoosavi SJ2, Fazeli M3, Abasalti Z1, Avan A3, Javandoost A1, Rahmani F1, Tayefi M3, Hanachi P4, Ferns GA5, Bahrami-Taghanaki H6, Ghayour-Mobarhan M1,3.
- Cardio parameters would havestatistically signficantly improved if they had extended the trial: to say 18+ weeks
- Personal note: I have been taking 50,000 IU every 4 or 5 days for over 6 years
H Lahore, founder of VitaminDWiki
Overview Loading of vitamin D contains the followingLoading dose:
Vitamin D loading dose (stoss therapy) proven to improve health overview
If a person is or is suspected to be, very vitamin D deficient a loading dose should be given
- Loading = restore = quick replacement by 1 or more doses
- Loading doses range in total size from 100,000 IU to 1,000,000 IU of Vitamin D3
- = 2.5 to 25 milligrams
- The size of the loading dose is a function of body weight - see below
- Unfortunately, some doctors persist in using Vitamin D2 instead of D3
- Loading may be done as quickly as a single day (Stoss), to as slowly as 3 months.
- It appears that spreading the loading dose over 4+ days is slightly better if speed is not essential
- Loading is typically oral, but can be Injection (I.M,) and Topical
- Loading dose is ~3X faster if done topically or swished inside of the mouth
- Skips the slow process of stomach and intestine, and might even skip liver and Kidney as well
- The loading dose persists in the body for 1 - 3 months
- The loading dose should be followed up with on-going maintenance dosing
- Unfortunately, many doctors fail to follow-up with the maintenance dosing.
- About 1 in 300 people have some form of a mild allergic reaction to vitamin D supplements, including loading doses
- it appears prudent to test with a small amount of vitamin D before giving a loading dose
- The causes of a mild allergic reaction appear to be: (in order of occurrence)
- 1) lack of magnesium - which can be easily added
- 2) allergy to capsule contents - oil, additives (powder does not appear to cause any reaction)
- 3) allergy to the tiny amount of D3 itself (allergy to wool) ( alternate: D3 made from plants )
- 4) allergy of the gut to Vitamin D - alternative = topical
- Elite Athletes do well with weekly 35,000 IU of Vitamin D – RCT Feb 2017
Response to weekly 35K and 70K for 12 weeks
Note: The vitamin D levels appeare to still be climbing at 12 weeks
Background Vitamin D deficiency is a prevalent and important global health problem. Because of its role in growth and development, vitamin D status is likely to be particularly important in adolescent girls. Here, we explored the effects of high-dose vitamin D supplementation on cardio-metabolic risk factors.
Methods We have examined the effects of vitamin D supplementation on cardio-metabolic risk factors in 988 healthy adolescent girls in Iran. Fasting blood samples and anthropometric measurements were obtained at baseline and after supplementation with high-dose vitamin D. All individuals took a capsule of 50,000 IU vitamin D/week for nine weeks. The study was completed by 940 participants.
Results The prevalence of vitamin D deficiency was 90% at baseline, reducing to 16.3% after vitamin D supplementation. Vitamin supplementation was associated with a significant increase in serum concentrations of 25 (OH) vitamin D and calcium. There were significant reductions in diastolic blood pressure, heart rate, waist circumference and serum fasting blood glucose, total- and low-density lipoprotein-cholesterol after the nine-week period on vitamin D treatment, but no significant effects were observed on body mass index, systolic blood pressure or serum high-density lipoprotein cholesterol and triglyceride.
Conclusion Vitamin D supplementation had beneficial effects on cardio-metabolic profile in adolescent girls.Title change made Dec 2020 caused the visitor count to reset.
There have actually been
|1138 visitors, last modified 22 Dec, 2020,