- The US premature birthrate has risen 36% over the last 25 years; over half a million preterm births happen in the US each year.
- Preterm birth is the number one killer of newborns and the second leading cause of death in children under five.
- Vitamin D could possibly prevent 50% of preterm births,
- AND cut the risk of preeclampsia, gestational diabetes, and prenatal infections in HALF.
In conversations with hospital administrators and insurance company leaders, I learned about '17P'. 17P is a drug commonly used in hospitals and medical centers for pregnant women who have previously had a preterm birth. It is given to pregnant women as a weekly injection and is effective in reducing preterm birth by approximately 30%.
Unfortunately, it has a price tag of $50,000 per patient and the requirement for weekly injections is difficult for many women to meet. The same doctors who prescribe 17P were elated to find out about vitamin D, because:
- Vitamin D has the potential to reduce preterm birth by 50%.
- Vitamin D can be given to all pregnant women - whether they have had a prior preterm birth or not.
- Vitamin D costs $15 for the entire pregnancy.
- Overview Pregnancy and vitamin D has the following summary
|IU||Cumulative Benefit||Blood level||Cofactors||Calcium||$*/month|
|200|| Better bones for mom|
with 600 mg of Calcium
|6 ng/ml increase||Not needed||No effect||$0.10|
|400|| Less Rickets (but not zero with 400 IU)|
3X less adolescent Schizophrenia
Fewer child seizures
|20-30 ng/ml||Not needed||No effect||$0.20|
|2000|| 2X More likely to get pregnant naturally/IVF |
2X Fewer dental problems with pregnancy
8X less diabetes
4X fewer C-sections (>37 ng)
4X less preeclampsia (40 ng vs 10 ng)
5X less child asthma
2X fewer language problems age 5
|42 ng/ml||Desirable||< 750 mg||$1|
|4000|| 2X fewer pregnancy complications |
2X fewer pre-term births
|49 ng/ml|| Should have |
|< 750 mg||$3|
|6000||Probable: larger benefits for above items|
Just enough D for breastfed infant
More maternal and infant weight
|< 750 mg||$4|
- Pre-term 969 items as of June 2015
- Pre-term births reduced in half if 40 ng of vitamin D in 3rd trimester – Nov 2014
- Chance of preterm birth is strongly associated with low vitamin D – Feb 2015
- Pregnancy category listing has
724 items along with related searches