Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2014 Mar;99(2):F166-8. doi: 10.1136/archdischild-2013-303999. Epub 2013 Jul 13.
Monangi N1, Slaughter JL, Dawodu A, Smith C, Akinbi HT.
1 Neonatal Perinatal Medicine, Perinatal Institute, Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center/University of Cincinnati, , Cincinnati, Ohio, USA.
To evaluate vitamin D (vitD) status in early preterm infants (EPTIs) at birth and during birth hospitalisation on current vitD intake.
Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin-D [25(OH)D] concentrations, vitD intake and risk factors for low vitD status were assessed in 120 infants born at ≤32 weeks gestation.
Mean (SD) serum 25(OH)D at birth was 46.2 (14.0) nmol/L with lower concentrations in infants born <28 weeks than at 28-32 weeks gestation, p=0.02. Serum 25(OH)D was <50 nmol/L in 63% of mothers, 64% of infants at birth and 35% of infants at discharge.
Mean daily vitD intake was 289±96 IU at 4 weeks of age and 60% achieved 400 IU/day intake at discharge.
Serum 25(OH)D <50 nmol/L was widespread in parturient women and in EPTIs at birth and at discharge. Optimising maternal vitD status during pregnancy and improving postnatal vitD intake may enhance infant vitD status during hospitalisation.
PDF is attached at the bottom of this page
- Vitamin D Webinar - cost of pre-term birth etc- Baggerly Nov 2013
- Premature birth 2.5X more likely if mother had low vitamin D and was having twins – July 2013
- Blacks have more pre-term births due to low nutrients such as vitamin D – Sept 2011
- The more preterm the birth, the lower the vitamin D level (both mothers and infants) – Feb 2014
- Premature birth 2.5X more likely if mother had low vitamin D and was having twins – July 2013 having twins reduces the vitamin D level during pregnancy
- ((Stunting OR “low birth weight” OR LBW OR preemie OR preemies) 253 items as of April 2014
- Third study found that Infants needed 1600 IU of vitamin D – JAMA RCT May 2013 and these are not early birth, who need even more Vitamin D
- Preemies have increased need for vitamin D and Calcium (Rickets)– May 2013
- Many preemies need at least 800 IU of vitamin D – RCT May 2013