Table of contents
- Parkinson's Disease summary in VitaminDWiki
- See also on VitaminDWiki
- VitaminDWiki - Meta-analysis of Parkinson's studies
- See also on web
- Clinical Trial Effects of Vitamin D in Parkinson's Disease (PD)
- Vitamin D Deficiency-Induced Vertebral Fractures May Cause Stooped Posture in Parkinson Disease - 2-11
- Age Adjusted death from Parkinson's
- Age Adjusted Death from Dementia (Finland)"
- High prevalence of hypovitaminosis D status in patients with early Parkinson disease.
- Remember Vitamin D to forget Parkinson’s disease July 2012
- What is Parkinson's (From MJ Fox)
- Epidemiology and etiology of Parkinson’s disease - 2011(which does not mentions vitamin D)
- Emerging role of Nutrition in PD - vitamin D and Omega-3 are mentioned - 2014
- Risk of Dementia reduced 50% by just using Brain Plasticity Software for just 13 hours - Nov 2017
- PD rehabilition better with Virtual Reality - Review April 2021
- Manganese increases the Risk of Parkinson's Symptoms (first described in 1837)
- PD associated with α-synuclein from colon via vegus nerve, due to more meat and less fiber - Dr. Greger Sept 2021
- "End of Alzheimers" protocol can be applied to Parkinson's too
- Parkinson's death rate increased 63% from 1999 - 2019
- Some Viral infections increase the risk of Parkinson's years later
- Parkinson's disease stabilized with just 1200 IU of vitamin D – RCT May 2013
First RCT to report results - +anticipate far better results when more vitamin D is used.
(Belief based on the results with vitamin D on MS and Diabetes)
Additonal proofs that vitamin D treats or prevents diseases
- 7 clinical trials for PD with vitamin D intervention as of June 2022
- Parkinson patients: 60 pcnt taking Vitamin D – Dec 2019
- Parkinson’s Disease Summer School – alternative therapies included 60-80 ng of Vitamin D – Sept 2019
- VitaminDWiki interview and transcript - Jan 2022 30 topics discussed
- Low Vitamin D increases Parkinson's by 3X– July 2010 only a 30 year test, need more study
- Associated with PD are: Meta-analyses (
12 ), Cognition ( 16 studies), Multiple Sclerosis ( 11 studies), VIRUS ( 4 studies), Omega-3 ( 2 studies), Vitamin D Receptor ( 9 studies)
- Parkinson's category has
- Parkinson's disease and vitamin D – review finds promising indications – April 2014
- Parkinson’s Disease relationship to Vitamin D
- Comparison of Alzheimer's Disease and Parkinson's Disease – Sept 2013
- Review of Parkinson's disease and vitamin D recommends use of active form – Aug 2012
- 20 percent less chance of Parkinson’s disease if work outdoors some – Thesis Feb 2013
- Parkinson's disease increased in Israel by 50 percent in 7 years – June 2011
- Reasons for vitamin D deficiency during past several decades
- Role of vitamin D in Parkinson's disease - March 2012 technical
- Comparison of Alzheimer's Disease and Parkinson's Disease – Sept 2013
- Overview Fractures and Falls and Vitamin D - note, more likely to fall if low vitamin D, as is the case with PD
- Omega-3 prevents Parkinson’s Disease – Review of RCT July 2019
- Parkinson’s disease and the bones - Feb 2011 Literature review - PDF file, which has the following image
- Parkinson’s disease 1.6X more likely if a poor Vitamin D Receptor – meta-analysis Jan 2020
- Parkinson’s disease 20 percent more likely in Asians if poor Vitamin D Receptor – meta-analysis April 2019
- Parkinson’s patients 50X less likely to get even a little sun– meta-analysis Jan 2019
- Parkinson's Disease 2.1 X more likely if low Vitamin D – Meta-analysis Nov 2018
- Parkinson’s Disease systematic review finds association with low vitamin D – Jan 2016
- 2X more Parkinson's disease if modified vitamin D receptor genes – meta-analysis Aug 2014
- Parkinson's and Alzheimer's: associations with vitamin D receptor genes and race – meta-analysis July 2014
- Parkinson’s Disease – no association found with changes in Vitamin D genes – meta-analysis June 2014
- Parkinson’s disease 2X more likely if low Vitamin D – meta-analysis May 2014
- Parkinson’s Disease and the “Sunshine” Vitamin (vitamin D) – July 2013
- Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases associated with low vitamin D – meta-analysis June 2013
- Hip fractures greatly reduced by sunshine, vitamin D, and vitamin K – meta-analysis Sept 2012
- Clinical Trials of Parkinson's with Vitamin D INTERVENTION 9 trials as of April 2021
- CLICK HERE for 255 papers on Parkinson's and vitamin D @ PubMed as of April 2021
- Person with PD has videos of his use of THC, CBD, Deep Brain Stimulation, and Coimbra' Protocol to decrease PD
- Aug 2011 mitochondria - Dr. Pressman - video
- March 2011 Dr. Holick- video
- March 2011 Dr. Cannell of the Vitamin D Council - video
- Vitamin D Council on Parkinson's Disease Includes description of 4,000 IU daily of vitamin D treating PD in one person
- Vitamin D Council Overview of Parkinson's Disease by Dr. Grant, 66 references 2010?
- Parkinson's disease and osteoporosis Age Aging, Nov 2012
- Nutriion and PD - includes Vitamin D 2013 21 minute Video by Dr. Donald Ingram
- Keeping Parkinson’s Disease a Secret New York Times July 2012 Nothing on vitamin D - but interesting
- The Prevalence of Stroke in Parkinson's Disease Is High Feb 2014 3-4X higher
- Might be possible for computer to listen to voice on phone and diganose Parkinson's Jan 2013
The voice cord muscles have similar degradation with PD as do many other muscles.
The group has gotten >10,000 voice recordings to try to find voice patterns associated with PD
- Parkinson's disease Wikipedia
PD is more common in the elderly and prevalence rises from 1% in those over 60 years of age to 4% of the population over 80
- Red Headed people are 90% more likely to get PD
Red Heads sunburn more, so they stay away from the sun more
Red Heads are more sensitive to pain, an indication of low vitamin D
- Signs and symptoms of Parkinson's disease Wikipedia, excellent; Includes Slowed cognitive speed (Bradyphrenia).
- Hypomimia Wikipedia, a medical sign, is a reduced degree of facial expression.
CLICK HERE for web search of "parkinson's disease" "poker face" >600,000 items Feb 2013
- Interventions that Improve Body and Brain Bioenergetics for Parkinson's Disease Risk Reduction and Therapy. Jan 2014
diet and lifestyle changes that increase insulin sensitivity. Calorie restriction, exercise, nothing about vitamin D; PDF $27
- PREVALENCE OF PARKINSON'S DISEASE huge variation around the world
- GENETIC CAUSES OF PARKINSON'S DISEASE lots of detail on specific genes, no mention of vitamin D
- A meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies identifies 17 new Parkinson's disease risk loci Sept 2017
Much of the data was from 23andME database, Nothing about Vitamin D. Behind a $5 paywall
- Unrecognized vitamin D3 deficiency is common in Parkinson disease Oct 2013
deficient in 17.6% of patients with PD compared with 9.3% of controls. Does not assume vitamin D deficiency causes PD
- MRI Brain Scans Detect People with Early Parkinson’s June 2014
85% chance of correctly detecting early stage PD. No mention of vitamin D, no mention of prevention
Has both false positives and false negatives. Only about 20 people tested so far
- The woman who can smell Parkinson's disease BBC News Oct 2015
Confirmed by 100% correctly identifying "musky odour" of T shirts: 7 with PD, 5 without PD
She first noticed the odour of her husband before he was diagnosed with PD
- Pot for Parkinson's? The Scientific Evidence Is Compelling Nov 2015
CBD, which is legal and sold on Amazon, is great for treating PD
Random Controlled Trial with good results suspected CBD had "anxiolytic," "antidepressant," "anti-psychotic," and "sedative" properties.
- Update Dec 2016 US Drug Enforcement Angencyt has classifiedCBD as bad as Cocaine, heroin etc
Note: I am unaware of any cases of CBD addiction
Link has a 219 pages of studies showing the benefits of CBD
- Gut Microbiota Regulate Motor Deficits and Neuroinflammation in a Model of Parkinson’s Disease
Cell Dec 2016 "Human gut microbiota from PD patients induce enhanced motor dysfunction in mice"
Vitamin D not mentioned, but previous studies have shown that Vitamin D influences gut bacteria
Mercola report on the study points out the gut problems of people 10 years before getting PD
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
- Use of Paraquat in the US has increase by 10X in past decade NYT Dec 2016
Paraquat is associated with Parkinson's Disease. It is not permitted to be used in China, Europe, etc.
NYT includes a link to NIH report about Paraquat and PD in 2011 and a link to Meta-analysis of 2X increase in PD with pesticides/solvents
US EPA still permits it to be used in 2019
- Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 level may be associated with olfactory dysfunction in de novo Parkinson's disease Aug 2018
- Bell Peppers to Help Ward Off Parkinson’s Gregor Video Dec 2018 nicotine, not Vitamin D
"...tobacco is a nightshade plant, so it’s in the same family as tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, and peppers. And guess what? They all contain nicotine as well"
Clinical Trial NCT01119131; Start Date: July 2010; Study Ongoing as of July 2015
The proposed study is a randomized, double-blinded, placebo controlled intervention trial to measure the effects of vitamin D at (10,000 IU/day) versus placebo on balance and falls in Parkinson's disease. We will measure static, dynamic, and ambulatory balance, as well as strength, falls, and cognition before and after 16 weeks of therapy. Dynamic posturography will be used to measure static and ambulatory balance, a device called iMOBILITY will measure a timed up and go, and strength will be measured with the Biodex machine checking knee flexion and extension. Multiple quality of life and cognitive tests will also be performed.
Comment by VitaminDWiki - unfortunately only 16 weeks and no loading dose.
It is unlikely that very many of the participants will get a high enough vitamin D level to make any difference in 4 months
Vitamin D Deficiency-Induced Vertebral Fractures May Cause Stooped Posture in Parkinson Disease - 2-11
American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation:
April 2011 - Volume 90 - Issue 4 - pp 281-286
Sato, Yoshihiro MD; Iwamoto, Jun MD; Honda, Yoshiaki MD
Results: During the 5-yr study period, stooped posture developed in 34 patients; the rest of the 58 patients did not show stooped posture. At baseline, mean serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and parathyroid hormone levels were 10.9 ng/ml and 73.1 pg/ml, respectively, in the stooped group and 18.6 ng/ml and 56.4 pg/ml, respectively, in the nonstooped group. Bone mineral density in the stooped group was significantly lower than in the nonstooped group. Dietary intake of vitamin D in the stooped group was significantly lower than in the nonstooped group.
During the study period, 19 (22%) patients in the nonstooped group developed new vertebral fracture, compared with 23 (100%) patients in the stooped group.
The mean ± SD percentage changes in bone mineral density were ?6.5 ± 0.6 in the stooped group and ?3.8 ± 0.8 in the nonstooped group.
Mean serum levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D after 5 yrs were 7.0 ng/ml in the stooped group and 14.1 ng/ml in the nonstooped group.
Conclusions: Stooped posture in Parkinson disease may be caused by vertebral fractures resulting from vitamin D deficiency with compensatory hyperparathyroidism.
Vitamin D supplementation may reduce stooped posture in patients with Parkinson disease.
Image from the web
22% increase in prevelance of Parkinson's(age adjusted) 1990 - 2016
"Age-standardized prevalence rates of Parkinson's disease by country varied greater than five times, with the highest rates generally in high-income North America and lowest rates in sub-Saharan Africa
PMID: 21403017 2011  Download PDF from VitaminDWiki
review of 30 year study in Finland lowest levels of vitamin D were three times more likely to develop Parkinson’s, compared with the group with the highest levels of vitamin D.
What is Parkinson's (From MJ Fox)
Posit Science - 10 year experiment, full free text online
Speed of processing training results in lower risk of dementia
Systemic Literature Review of the Use of Virtual Reality for Rehabilitation in Parkinson Disease
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
- Excess Manganese in well water
- Manganese is used for bleaching at pulp paper plants
- Increased risk of Parkinson's Symptoms if work at a pulp paper plant which which uses Mn
- A friend of the founder of VitaminDWiki worked in a pulp paper plant and got PD
- Manganese and Parkinson's: Mechanism may explain link March 2019
- Manganese and Parkinson’s Disease: A Critical Review and New Findings - Aug 2010
- doi: 10.1289/ehp.0901748 FREE PDF
- Manganese-Induced Parkinsonism and Parkinson’s Disease: Shared and Distinguishable Features - July 2015
- 10.3390/ijerph120707519 FREE PDF - Note: Parkinsonism is bilateral vs PD affects each side of the body differently
- Parkinson-like Symptoms Worsen with Long-Term Exposure to Manganese Parkinson's Foundation - 2016
- "manganese levels can lead to progressive parkinsonism, a disease that mirrors symptoms of Parkinson’s but is a separate disease
- Manganese in manganism, Parkinson's disease, Huntington's disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, and Batten disease: A narrative review - 2017
- DOI: 10.4103/0028-3886.217949, "...The collective evidence to date suggests that environmental exposure to excessive amounts of manganese (Mn) can cause a neurodegenerative condition known as manganism. It is now also relatively clear that Mn is involved in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease and at least some prion diseases. The potential involvement of Mn in a panel of other neurodegenerative conditions including Parkinson's disease, Huntington's disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, and Batten disease "
- Metals and Parkinson’s Disease: Mechanisms and Biochemical Processes. Curr. Med. Chem. 2018, 25, 2198–2214.
- Toxic-Induced Parkinsonism. In Movement Disorders Curricula; Springer: Vienna, Austria, 2017
- Manganism is a neurological disorder that may occur in response to high inhalation exposures in occupational settings and which is characterized by mood changes and an extrapyramidal syndrome resembling Parkinson disease. 2015 chapter in a book
- Clumsiness of movement 82%,Exaggeration of reflexes in lower limbs 74%, Hyperemotionalism 71%, Speech disorders 70%, Masque manganique 65%, Spasmodic laughter 47% Difficulty in certain movements 45%, Spasmodic tears 32%, Adiodokinesis 30%
PD associated with α-synuclein from colon via vegus nerve, due to more meat and less fiber - Dr. Greger Sept 2021
The Role Meat May Play in Triggering Parkinson’s Disease 5 minute video
From research by M J Fox PD foundation
- Can the Flu Contribute to Parkinson’s Disease? NY Times Dec 20,2021
- "There was a sharp increase in Parkinson’s cases following the 1918 influenza pandemic. A new study strengthens a link between the two."
- Long-term Risk of Parkinson Disease Following Influenza and Other Infections JAMA Oct 25, 2021
- 15 years later - Increased risk of PD by 90%
- SARS-CoV-2 may increase the risk of Parkinson's Disease - Dec 2021
Title change made June 2021 caused the visitor count to reset.
There have actually been
230640 visitors to this page since it was originally made
Short URL= is.gd/ParkDThis page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)Overviews
76 Parkinson 94
ID Name Comment Uploaded Size Downloads 15479 Parkinson's VR.pdf PDF 2021 admin 22 Apr, 2021 00:15 111.73 Kb 502 7484 Gut Parkinson's.pdf PDF 2016 admin 14 Dec, 2016 11:00 2.76 Mb 2196 5092 CoQ10 1200 mg for PD LEF 2013.pdf PDF 2013 admin 23 Feb, 2015 03:33 510.70 Kb 2810 3878 PD nutrition.pdf PDF 2014 admin 06 May, 2014 22:19 609.53 Kb 3380 3701 Epidemiology and etiology of Parkinson’s disease - 2011.pdf admin 15 Mar, 2014 02:05 956.71 Kb 4630 3456 what is parkinsons-small.jpg admin 27 Dec, 2013 14:34 191.35 Kb 14100 3455 sunshine-brain.jpg admin 27 Dec, 2013 04:21 24.13 Kb 12336 2595 Parkinson-Disease overview - 2013.pdf admin 20 Jun, 2013 13:07 152.93 Kb 4343 2054 hypomimia.jpg admin 03 Feb, 2013 16:04 55.05 Kb 13911 801 Parksinsons symptoms.jpg Symptoms admin 06 Oct, 2011 20:10 9.41 Kb 16041 800 9 ng of Vitamin D with Parkinsons - 2010.pdf PDF 9 ng admin 06 Oct, 2011 14:04 286.21 Kb 3609
- Parkinson's category has