Mov Disord. 2013 Jul;28(8):1133-7. doi: 10.1002/mds.25405. Epub 2013 Apr 2.
Peterson AL1, Mancini M, Horak FB.
Balance problems and falls are a major source of morbidity and mortality in patients with Parkinson's disease.
Vitamin D supplementation reduces falls and sway in neurologically intact elderly fallers, but effects in Parkinson's disease are not established.
To study this relationship and select outcome measures for a vitamin D intervention study, balance function and vitamin D concentration were quantified in a series of Parkinson's patients in a cross-sectional, observational study. Participants underwent a battery of 5 balance tests.
Serum vitamin D concentrations were correlated inversely with Parkinson's severity, as measured by the motor Unified Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale. Among the balance measures, vitamin D concentrations were correlated with automatic posture responses to backwards translation, specifically with response strength and stance weight asymmetry.
These findings support the hypothesis that vitamin D plays a role in balance among patients with Parkinson's disease and identify specific outcome measures for detecting effects of vitamin D upon balance.
PDF is attached at the bottom of this page
- Parkinson’s Disease relationship to Vitamin D
- Seniors with adequate vitamin D could rebalance themselves 80% faster, and thus not fall as often – 2013
- Seniors with less than 12 ng of vitamin D were not stable – March 2012
- Overview Muscles and Vitamin D
- Overview Parkinson's and Vitamin D contains the following summary
- Parkinson's disease stabilized with just 1200 IU of vitamin D – RCT May 2013
First RCT to report results - +anticipate far better results when more vitamin D is used.
(Belief based on the results with vitamin D on MS and Diabetes)
Additonal proofs that vitamin D treats or prevents diseases
- 6 clinical trials for PD with vitamin D intervention as of Jan 2016
- Parkinson patients: 60 pcnt taking Vitamin D – Dec 2019
- Parkinson’s Disease Summer School – alternative therapies included 60-80 ng of Vitamin D – Sept 2019
- VitaminDWiki interview and transcript - Jan 2022 30 topics discussed
- Low Vitamin D increases Parkinson's by 3X– July 2010 only a 30 year test, need more study
- Associated with PD are: Meta-analyses (
12 ), Cognition ( 16 studies), Multiple Sclerosis ( 11 studies), VIRUS ( 4 studies), Omega-3 ( 2 studies), Vitamin D Receptor ( 9 studies)
- Parkinson's category has
93 itemsParkinson's patients having more vitamin D had better balance control – July 2013 9466 visitors, last modified 08 Mar, 2014,
- Parkinson's category has