Aging: Volume 6, Issue 9 pp 707—717 10.18632/aging.100690
Dale E. Bredesen 1, 2
1 Mary S. Easton Center for Alzheimer's Disease Research, Department of Neurology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095;
2 Buck Institute for Research on Aging, Novato, CA 94945
Vitamin D is just one of many therapies he used to reverse cognitive decline
I have long thought that multiptherpy would be better than monotherapy
Many of the diseases which vitamin D has been proven to treat are also treated by
Magnesium (which also increases Vitamin D)
Vitamin K2 (this study),
Omega-3 (which also increases Vitamin D)
Boron (which also increases Vitamin D)
Posit (this study),
Resveratrol ( (which also increases Vitamin D, this study)
Zinc (essential for Vitamin D, this study)
See also VitaminDWiki
- Omega-3 etc improved both cognition and mobility of older women – Aug 2015
- Cognitive decline in elderly slowed by Omega-3 – meta-analysis May 2015
- Cognition of Alzheimer’s patients improved by daily 4,000 IU of vitamin D – RCT Jan 2015
- Low vitamin D with metabolic syndrome increased risk of senior cognitive impairment by 3X – July 2016
Paper on current page reduces Metabolic Syndrome in many ways
- Vitamin K and cognition in the elderly
- Alzheimer’s and Vitamins D, B, C, E, as well as Omega-3, metals, etc. – June 2013
Metals include Selenium, Zinc, Iron, and Copper
- Dementia less likely with increased levels of Magnesium etc.
- Posit Science - greatly increases memory
- Decrease of Alzheimer’s biomarker halted by Resveratrol (perhaps due to vitamin D) – RCT Sept 2015
- Vitamin D Cofactors in a nutshell - includes Mg, Vit K, Omega-3, boron, Zinc,
- Overview Parkinson's and Vitamin D
Overview Alzheimer's-Cognition and Vitamin D starts with the following summary
- FACT: Cognitive decline is 19X more likely if low vitamin D
- FACT: Dementia is associated with low vitamin D levels.
- FACT: Alzheimer’s Dementia 2.3X more likely in elderly if low vitamin D – Dec 2022
- FACT: Dementia is associated with low vitamin D - many studies
- FACT: Alzheimer's Disease is 4X less likely if high vitamin D
- FACT: Every single risk factor listed for Alzheimer's Disease is also a risk factor for low vitamin D levels
- FACT: Elderly cognition gets worse as the elderly vitamin D levels get even lower (while in senior homes)
- OBSERVATION: Reports of increased vitamin D levels result in improved cognition
- OBSERVATION: Alzheimer’s patients 3X more likely to have a malfunctioning vitamin D receptor gene – 2012
- OBSERVATION: Alzheimer's Disease has been seen to halt when vitamin D was added.
- OBSERVATION: Alzheimer’s is associated with all 7 of the genes which restrict vitamin D
- OBSERVATION: 39 vitamin D and Alz. or Cognition intervention trials as of Sept 2018
- OBSERVATION: 2 Meta-analysis in 2012 agreed that Alzheimer's Disease. associated with low vitamin D
- OBSERVATION: 50X increase in Alzheimer's while decrease in vitamin D
- OBSERVATION: Vitamin D reduces Alzheimer’s disease in 11 ways
- OBSERVATION: Alzheimer’s cognition improved by 4,000 IU of vitamin D
- OBSERVATION: Plaque removed in mice by equiv. of 14,000 IU daily
- OBSERVATION: DDT (which decreases Vit D) increases risk of Alzheimer's by up to 3.8X
- OBSERVATION: 2% of people have 2 copies of the poor gene reference: Alz Org
- OBSERVATION: Genes do not change rapidly enough to account for the huge increase in incidence
- FACT: Vitamin D is extremely low cost and has very very few side effects
- CONCLUSION: Everyone concerned about cognitive decline or Alzheimer's Disease should take vitamin D
- PREDICTION: By 2024 Omega-3 and high dose Vitamin D will be found to reverse Alzheimer's in humans
- As of 2018 that combination has worked well with Multiple Sclerosis, Sleep, and Cluster Headaches
There are 12+ Alzheimer’s meta-analyses in VitaminDWiki
There are 91+ Alzheimer’s studies in VitaminDWiki
- End of Alzheimer's video and transcript - June 2023
Dementia is associated with low vitamin D - many studies 50+
16+ studies in both categories Cognitive and Omega-3
The End of Alzheimer's and Dementia if adjust Vitamin D, B-12, Iron, Omega-3, etc.
Customizing the types of treatment to the individual results in reversing Alzheimer's
- Inhalational Alzheimer's disease: an unrecognized - and treatable - epidemic - Feb 2016
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
- Reversal of cognitive decline in Alzheimer's disease - June 2016
"Here I report that type 3 Alzheimer’s disease is a phenotypic manifestation of CIRS." (chronic inflammatory response syndrome)
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
This report describes a novel, comprehensive, and personalized therapeutic program that is based on the underlying pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease, and which involves multiple modalities designed to achieve metabolic enhancement for neurodegeneration (MEND).
The first 10 patients who have utilized this program include patients with memory loss associated with
- Alzheimer's disease (AD), a
- mnestic mild cognitive impairment (aMCI), or
- subjective cognitive impairment (SCI).
Nine of the 10 displayed subjective or objective improvement in cognition beginning within 3-6 months, with the one failure being a patient with very late stage AD.
Six of the patients had had to discontinue working or were struggling with their jobs at the time of presentation, and all were able to return to work or continue working with improved performance.
Improvements have been sustained, and at this time the longest patient follow-up is two and one-half years from initial treatment, with sustained and marked improvement.
These results suggest that a larger, more extensive trial of this therapeutic program is warranted.
The results also suggest that, at least early in the course, cognitive decline may be driven in large part by metabolic processes.
Furthermore, given the failure of monotherapeutics in AD to date, the results raise the possibility that such a therapeutic system may be useful as a platform on which drugs that would fail as monotherapeutics may succeed as key components of a therapeutic system.