Sleep Med. 2018 Nov 24;54:262-265. doi: 10.1016/j.sleep.2018.10.033.
- Children short sleep 12 percent more likely for each 1 ng lower vitamin D at birth – Oct 2018
- Poor sleep 1.5 X more likely if less than 20 ng of Vitamin D – meta-analysis Oct 2018
- Sleep half hour longer if OK level of Vitamin D (2-year olds) – April 2018
- Happy Nurses Project gave Omega-3 for 3 months – reduced depression, insomnia, anxiety, etc for a year – RCT July 2018
- Sleep may be regulated by Vitamin D via two pathways – Nov 2018
Sleep category starts with
- Sleep problems cured by vitamin D, etc. – workshops and patient workbooks – Gominak 2018
- Restless Legs Syndrome dramatically reduced by vitamin D, etc
- Iron deficiency is a cause of Vitamin D deficiency Depression
- On the job sleepiness 2.2X more likely if low vitamin D – Feb 2020
- Poor sleep 1.5 X more likely if less than 20 ng of Vitamin D – Feb 2019
- The Better Sleep Vitamin (Vitamin D) – nice 3 dollar book Feb 2015
- The worse the sleep apnea, the lower the vitamin D levels – meta-analysis 2017, 2020
- Seach VitaminDWiki for "SLEEP APNEA" 481 items as of Sept 2020
- Search VitaminDWiki for (sleep OR insomnia) Magnesium 307 items as of July 2020
- 5X increase in sleep problems in a decade in US Veterans
Muscogiuri G1, Barrea L2, Scannapieco M2, Di Somma C3, Scacchi M4, Aimaretti G5, Savastano S2, Colao A2, Marzullo P6.
1 Dipartimento di Medicina Clinica e Chirurgia, Sezione di Endocrinologia, Università Federico II di Napoli, Naples, Italy. giovanna.muscogiuri at gmail.com.
2 Dipartimento di Medicina Clinica e Chirurgia, Sezione di Endocrinologia, Università Federico II di Napoli, Naples, Italy.
3 IRCCS SDN, Napoli Via Gianturco 113, 80143, Naples, Italy.
4 IRCCS, Istituto Auxologico Italiano, Div. General Medicine, Ospedale San Giuseppe, Piancavallo, Verbania, Italy.
5 Università del Piemonte Orientale, Endocrinologysss, Dept. Translational Medicine, Novara.
6 IRCCS, Istituto Auxologico Italiano, Div. General Medicine, Ospedale San Giuseppe, Piancavallo, Verbania, Italy; Università del Piemonte Orientale, Endocrinologysss, Dept. Translational Medicine, Novara.
Vitamin D is a pro-hormone belonging to the category of the fat-soluble group of vitamins; it is obtained more from solar exposure and in smaller quantities through feeding. Although vitamin D has traditionally been shown to be involved in calcium homeostasis and bone health, recent studies have found a positive association between vitamin D and sleep. In particular, clinical studies in humans indicate that low levels of vitamin D are correlated with poor quality and short sleep duration. The mechanism by which this association is explained is still unclear. However, vitamin D receptors have been found in the brain regions involved in sleep regulation, and vitamin D appears to be involved in regulating the sleep-wake cycle. The current review summarizes the available evidence regarding the association between vitamin D and sleep, focusing on both clinical and preclinical studies.
|1541 visitors, last modified 31 Jan, 2019,