Quercetin Directly Interacts with Vitamin D Receptor (VDR): Structural Implication of VDR Activation by Quercetin - March 2016
Biomol Ther (Seoul). 2016 Mar 1;24(2):191-8. doi: 10.4062/biomolther.2015.122.
Lee KY1, Choi HS2,3, Choi HS3, Chung KY4, Lee BJ1, Maeng HJ5, Seo MD2,3.
Vitamin D Receptor category has the following
Vitamin D tests cannot detect Vitamin D Receptor (VDR) problems
A poor VDR restricts Vitamin D from getting in the cells
It appears that 30% of the population have a poor VDR (40% of the Obese )
Several diseases protect themselves by deactivating the Vitamin D receptor.Example: Breast Cancer
A poor VDR is associated with the risk of 55 health problems click here for details
The risk of 44 diseases at least double with poor VDR as of Oct 2019 click here for details
Some health problem, such as Breast Cancer reduce the VDR
VDR at-home test $29 - results not easily understood in 2016
There are hints that you may have inherited a poor VDR
Compensate for poor VDR by increasing one or more:
|1) Vitamin D supplement|
Sun, Ultraviolet -B
| Vitamin D in the blood |
and thus in the cells
|2) Magnesium||Vitamin D in the blood |
AND in the cells
|3) Omega-3||Vitamin D in the cells|
|4) Resveratrol||Vitamin D Receptor|
|5) Intense exercise||Vitamin D Receptor|
|6) Get prescription for VDR activator|
|Vitamin D Receptor|
|7) Quercetin (flavonoid)||Vitamin D Receptor|
|8) Zinc is in the VDR||Vitamin D Receptor|
|9) Boron||Vitamin D Receptor ?, |
|10) Essential oils e.g. ginger, curcumin||Vitamin D Receptor|
|11) Progesterone||Vitamin D Receptor|
|12) Infrequent high concentration Vitamin D|
Increases the concentration gradient
|Vitamin D in the cells|
|13) Sulfroaphane and perhaps sulfur||Vitamin D Receptor|
Note: If you are not feeling enough benefit from Vitamin D, you might try increasing VDR activation. You might feel the benefit within days of adding one or more of the above
Far healthier and stronger at age 72 due to supplements Includes 6 supplements that help the VDR
See also web
- Vitamin D Receptor-Mediated Upregulation of CYP3A4 and MDR1 by Quercetin in Caco-2 cells
Jan 2016, "human intestinal Caco-2 cells"
- Effects of vitamin D and quercetin, alone and in combination, on cardiorespiratory fitness and muscle function in physically active male adults. July 2015, free PDF
"CONCLUSION: The findings obtained demonstrate that long-term vitamin D and quercetin supplementation, alone or in combination, does not improve physical performance in male adults with adequate vitamin D, testosterone, and antioxidant status."
- Risk of prostate cancer in African-American men: Evidence of mixed effects of dietary quercetin by serum vitamin D status. Sept 2015
9% less likely to have PC if have quercetin in the diet (not supplement) not statistically significant
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
" In individuals with vitD deficiency, increased dietary quercetin showed a tendency toward lower risk of PCa (OR = 0.91, 95%CI: 0.82-1.00; P = 0.054, age-adjusted) while men with normal vitD were at elevated risk (OR = 1.23, 95%CI:1.04-1.45)."
- Quercetin supplement benefit and side effects, a flavonoid used for prostate, allergy, blood vessel health, athletic performance, Drug interactions, influence on allergy and how to best use this product without adverse reactions Feb 2017
- 22 Scientifically Proven Benefits of Quercetin Selfhacked, excellent overview,
Vitamin D is not mentioned, but it appears that all 22 items are also related to Vitamin D
1) Quercetin Protects the Brain, 2) Quercetin Might Heal Leaky Gut, 3) Quercetin is Anti-inflammatory, 4) Quercetin May be Anti-Aging, 5) Quercetin May Prevent Cancer, 6) Quercetin Reduces the Histamine Response, 7) Quercetin is Antibacterial, 8) Quercetin Limits, and Protects Against, Obesity, 9) Quercetin May Prevents and Treat Diabetes, 10) Quercetin Reduces Symptoms of Arthritis, 11) Quercetin is Good For Your Heart. 12) Quercetin May Reduce Allergies, 13) Quercetin Enhances the Immune System, 14) Quercetin is Good for Athletic Endurance, 15) Quercetin Reduces Blood Pressure, 16) Quercetin May Protect the Liver, 17) Quercetin May Protect the Kidneys
- Amazon US had 613 products with quercetin as of May 2017
- Cell-based and in silico evidence against quercetin and structurally-related flavonols as activators of vitamin D receptor. Oct 2016, PDF is available at https://www.deepdyve.com
"In conclusion, quercetin, 3-hydroxyflavone, galangin, datiscetin, kaempferol, morin, isorhamnetin, tamarixetin, myricetin, and syringetin are not agonists of rVDR, mVDR, or hVDR, as judged by cell-based and in silico evidence."
"While quercetin supplements have been promoted for prevention and treatment of cancer, "there is no reliable clinical evidence that quercetin can prevent or treat cancer in humans"."
- Quercetin and Pterostilbene Mercola April 2019
US Military studied Quercetin and developed a supplement for military personnel
Mercola form has 20 times the bioavailability, $1/day, money-back guarantee
- Quercetin Boosts Interferon Response to Viruses and COVID-19 Mercola June 1 2020
- More Health Benefits of Quercetin Revealed Mercola Jan 2020 45 references
- Metabolic Syndrome, Improves Diabetes-Induced NAFLD, Helps Modulate Gene Expression (not mention VDR),
- Powerful Antiviral (Influenza, Herpes, H3N2, H1N1, Dengue (in mice). Combats Inflammation and Boosts Immunity
- Quercetin — A Far Better Flu Remedy Than Tamiflu Mercola Feb 2018
RCT: Following exercise stress test:5% viral infection if got Quercetin + Niacin + Vitamin C, 45% if not get it.
|Foods containing quercetin|| Quercetin |
(mg/100g of edible portion)
|red kidney beans, raw (powdered)||603 +/- 307|
|dock like sorrel||86|
- Superfioods: red wine, green tea, kale and blueberries all have quercetin (also Broccoli - important for health)
- Quercetin WebMd
Quercetin is also in onions, green tea, apples, berries, Ginkgo biloba
Known to be safe for 500 mg twice daily for 12 week
"Quercetin might decrease how quickly the liver breaks down some medication"
- Quercetin Examine.com
- Quercetin, Vitamin D, Iron, Zinc and Thyroid Function Welness Resources 2017?
- Quercetin extensive review at ConsumerLab April 2020
- "11 cents to as much as $1.17 to get the same amount of quercetin"
- You can get a trial membership to see all of their excellent reviews
- Pronunciation: kwer-suh-tin
Found My Fitness Aug 2020 table of contents (the words Receptor and Vitamin do not occur once)
2Quercetin and health
3Quercetin as an antioxidant
4Quercetin and inflammation
5Quercetin and chronic diseases
5.1Quercetin and cardiovascular disease
5.2Quercetin and hypertension
5.3Quercetin and atherosclerosis
5.4Quercetin and obesity
6Quercetin and wound healing
6.1Quercetin and viral infections
6.2Quercetin and rheumatoid arthritis
7Quercetin and exercise
8Quercetin and aging
10Quercetin as a senolytic compound
10.1The "hit and run" treatment of senolytics
10.1Quercetin improves median lifespan in animals
10.2Quercetin improves age-related vascular conditions
10.3Quercetin and neurological diseases
10.4Quercetin and bone loss
10.5Quercetin and pulmonary fibrosis
10.6Quercetin and diet-related kidney disease
12Quercetin bioavailability and safety profile
The vitamin D receptor (VDR) is a member of the nuclear receptor (NR) superfamily. The VDR binds to active vitamin D3 metabolites, which stimulates downstream transduction signaling involved in various physiological activities such as calcium homeostasis, bone mineralization, and cell differentiation. Quercetin is a widely distributed flavonoid in nature that is known to enhance transactivation of VDR target genes. However, the detailed molecular mechanism underlying VDR activation by quercetin is not well understood. We first demonstrated the interaction between quercetin and the VDR at the molecular level by using fluorescence quenching and saturation transfer difference (STD) NMR experiments. The dissociation constant (Kd) of quercetin and the VDR was 21.15 ± 4.31 µM, and the mapping of quercetin subsites for VDR binding was performed using STD-NMR. The binding mode of quercetin was investigated by a docking study combined with molecular dynamics (MD) simulation. Quercetin might serve as a scaffold for the development of VDR modulators with selective biological activities.
Title revision of Jan 2020 caused the visitor count to reset.
There have actually been
|5321 visitors, last modified 29 Jul, 2021,