Table of contents
- Magnesium, vitamin D status and mortality: results from US National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2001 to 2006 and NHANES III
- VitaminDWiki - Magnesium and Vitamin D contains the following highlights
- Pages in BOTH the categories Magnesium and Mortality
8028 visitors to this page since it was originally made
Magnesium, vitamin D status and mortality: results from US National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2001 to 2006 and NHANES III
BMC Medicine201311:187, DOI: 10.1186/1741-7015-11-187
© Deng et al.; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2013
Xinqing Deng, Yiqing Song, JoAnn E Manson, Lisa B Signorello, Shumin M Zhang, Martha J Shrubsole, Reid M Ness, Douglas L Seidner and Qi Da
Magnesium plays an essential role in the synthesis and metabolism of vitamin D and magnesium supplementation substantially reversed the resistance to vitamin D treatment in patients with magnesium-dependent vitamin-D-resistant rickets. We hypothesized that dietary magnesium alone, particularly its interaction with vitamin D intake, contributes to serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25(OH)D) levels, and the associations between serum 25(OH)D and risk of mortality may be modified by magnesium intake level.
We tested these novel hypotheses utilizing data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2001 to 2006, a population-based cross-sectional study, and the NHANES III cohort, a population-based cohort study. Serum 25(OH)D was used to define vitamin D status. Mortality outcomes in the NHANES III cohort were determined by using probabilistic linkage with the National Death Index (NDI).
High intake of total, dietary or supplemental magnesium was independently associated with significantly reduced risks of vitamin D deficiency and insufficiency respectively.
- Intake of magnesium significantly interacted with intake of vitamin D in relation to risk of both vitamin D deficiency and insufficiency.
- Additionally, the inverse association between total magnesium intake and vitamin D insufficiency primarily appeared among populations at high risk of vitamin D insufficiency.
- Furthermore, the associations of serum 25(OH)D with mortality, particularly due to cardiovascular disease (CVD) and colorectal cancer, were modified by magnesium intake, and the inverse associations were primarily present among those with magnesium intake above the median.
Our preliminary findings indicate it is possible that magnesium intake alone or its interaction with vitamin D intake may contribute to vitamin D status. The associations between serum 25(OH)D and risk of mortality may be modified by the intake level of magnesium. Future studies, including cohort studies and clinical trials, are necessary to confirm the findings.
- Magnesium: Biochemistry, Nutrition, Detection, and Social Impact of Diseases Linked to Its Deficiency - March 2021
- DOI: 10.3390/nu13041136 FREE PDF
- Magnesium in Infectious Diseases in Older People - Jan 2021
- https://doi.org/10.3390/nu13010180 FREE PDF
- The Role of Magnesium in the Pathogenesis of Metabolic Disorders
- April 2022 https://doi.org/10.3390/nu14091714 FREE PDF
- Vitamin D, Magnesium and Their Interactions: A Review - Sept 2021
- 10.30476/ijns.2021.91766.1144 FREE PDF
- Magnesium and Microelements in Older Persons 168 pages 2021 PDF
VitaminDWiki - Magnesium and Vitamin D contains the following highlights
328 items in category, see also
- Overview Magnesium and vitamin D
- Magnesium deficiency – causes and symptoms – May 2016
- Vitamins and Metals needed by the Immune System – Jan 2020
- Magnesium: intake decreased, difficult to measure in body – Sept 2018
- Magnesium deficiency estimated by just 6 Yes No questions - Dec 2019
- Magnesium fights diabetes (yet again)– meta-analysis Nov 20218
- Intracellular Magnesium and Vitamin D - a few studies
- Magnesium in Healthcare (Rickets, Stones, Pregnancy, Depression, etc.) with level of evidence – Sept 2017
- Magnesium is great for health, topical much faster than oral, MgCl2 is the best – 2019
- Magnesium is important for health but levels are low – July 2018
- How to get lots of Magnesium – especially needed for Coimbra MS and Autoimmune Protocol
- COVID death 6.9X less likely if high Magnesium to Calcium ratio – April 2022
- Magnesium etc. reduced in crops (must supplement) – 2009
Mg and Vitamin D
- Intracellular Magnesium and Vitamin D - a few studies
- Vitamin D and Magnesium need each other - many studies
- Why Vitamin D is Useless without This Critical Nutrient (Magnesium) - Jan 2019
- 500 mg of Magnesium for 8 weeks increased Vitamin D by 4 ng – July 2020
- Magnesium and Vitamin D - pre-colon cancer – RCT Dec 2018
- Magnesium is vital to Vitamin D in 4 places (maybe 8) – March 2018
- Magnesium and Vitamin D – recent deficiencies, needed, synergistic - good overview 2017
- Vitamin D Cofactors in a nutshell
- Magnesium and Vitamin D - similar, different and synergistic
- Some Podcasts by Dr. C Dean – Magnesium, Vitamin D, Iodine, etc.
- Magnesium and the body - depletion and reduced intake - Dean Oct 2019
- Magnesium, Vitamin D, Omega-3, TSH - importance and testing - Dean and Baggerly - Oct 2019
Number of studies in both of the categories of Magnesium and:Bone
15 , Cardiovascular 17 , Diabetes 26 . Depression 14 , Obesity 11 , Omega-3 30 , Zinc 21 , Pregnancy 10 , Headache 10 , Virus 25 , Calcium 24 Virus 25 Mortality 7 Hypertension 11 Inflammation 3 Pain 7 etc.
- Magnesium Role in Health and Longevity - many studies
- Magnesium and Mortality – June 2020
- Patients on Hemodialysis 3X more likely if die of heart failure if low Magnesium – meta-analysis Jan 2021
- Death after Breast Cancer 2 times less likely if take lots of Magnesium – Dec 2015
- All-cause mortality is related to low Magnesium, rather than low Vitamin D – April 2015
- Low Magnesium in 40 percent of critical care patients – increased hospital days and death - Jan 2014
- Correcting magnesium deficiencies may prolong life – Space Station Feb 2012
8028 visitors to this page since it was originally madeMagnesium increases Vitamin D and decreases mortality - 2013 363 visitors, last modified 09 Oct, 2022,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)