Table of contents
- They are also synergistic, that is, increasing one helps the other.
- Interesting to note the similarities and differences of Magnesium and Vitamin D
- Built the above table from:
- Hearing Loss was originally associated with only Vitamin D
- Health problems if dificient in BOTH Vitamin D and Magnesium - 2019
- See also VitaminDWiki
|Vitamin D|| Magnesium or Vitamin D|
Aging, Amytrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Alzheimer's Disease; Asthma, Attention Deficit Disorder; Autism,Back pain, Cancer, Cerebrovascular, Chronic Fatigue, Cluster Headaches, Diabetes, Hearing Loss, Heart Disease. Heart Attack, Atherosclerosis, Cardiovascular Disease, HIV, AIDS; Hypertension; Kidney Stones, Migraine Headache, Multiple Sclerosis, Obesity, Osteoporosis; Peripheral vascular disease; Pregnancy-related problems,Rheumatoid Arthritis; SIDS, Sports-related problems,
| Vitamin D only|
Acne, Allergy, Autoimmune, Bone, Breathing, Celiac, Cognition, Colds and Flu, Cystic Fibrosis,
Dental, Fertility, Hyperparathyroid, Immunity, Kidney, Liver, Lupus, Osteoarthritis, Pain - chronic, Parkinson,
Psoriasis, Rickets, Strokes, Sarcoidosis, Thyroid, Parathyroid,
Tuberculosis, Vision, Hair, Skin, Sports
|Not Vitamin D|| Magnesium only|
Aggressive Behavior, Alcoholism, Arrhythmia, Cerebral Palsy,Chemical Sensitivity, Cocaine-related Stroke; Constipation, Cramps, Fluoride Toxicity; Head Injuries, Central Nervous System Injuries,Magnesium Deficiency; Menopause, Mitral Valve Prolapsee,Nystagmus, Psychiatric Disorders; Repetitive Strain Injury, Sickle Cell Disease, Stress, Stuttering, Tetanus; Tinnitis, Sound Sensitivity; TMJ; Toxic Shock; Violence
ALL OTHER DISEASES
- Widespread deficiency of both is due primarily to a single cause during the past century
- Little toxicity
- One needs the other to work properly: being deficient in one can cause problems with the other
- Increasing either decreases the rates of many of the same diseases
- Both have strong interactions with Calcium and Vitamin K2
- Magnesium has no long term storage in the body (not in fat) like Vitamin D does
- Very noticeable reaction if take too much Magnesium, but not vitamin D
- Body can only absorb so much Magnesium per 6 hours – no limit with vitamin D
- There are a variety of magnesium compounds – with different bioavailability and reactions
- Vitamin D Wiki home page
- following list of diseases from a Magnesium web site
Aging; Aggressive Behavior; Alcoholism; Amytrophic Lateral Sclerosis; Alzheimer's Disease; Arrhythmia; Asthma; Attention Deficit Disorder; Autism; Cancer; Cerebral Palsy; Cerebrovascular; Chemical Sensitivity; Chronic Fatigue; Cluster Headaches; Cocaine-related Stroke; Constipation; Cramps; Diabetes; Fluoride Toxicity; Head Injuries, Central Nervous System Injuries; Heart Disease. Heart Attack, Atherosclerosis, Cardiovascular Disease, etc.; HIV, AIDS; Hypertension; Kidney Stones; Magnesium Deficiency; Menopause; Migraine Headache; Mitral Valve Prolapse; Multiple Sclerosis; Nystagmus; Osteoporosis; Peripheral vascular disease; Pregnancy-related problems, Eclampsia; Premenstrual Syndrome, PMS; Psychiatric Disorders; Repetitive Strain Injury; Rheumatoid Arthritis; Sickle Cell Disease; SIDS; Sports-related problems; Stress; Stuttering; Tetanus; Tinnitis, Sound Sensitivity; TMJ; Toxic Shock; Violence
- Search PubMed "hearing loss" AND "magnesium" 115 hits as of March 2022
Generally Magnesium helps treat sudden hearing loss and protects against loss from high intensity sounds
- Phase 2 study examining magnesium-dependent tinnitus 2011
532 milligrams of Mg daily reduced Tinnitus in 3 months
No mention of Vitamin D - which often helps Magnesium
Magnesium Supplementation in Vitamin D Deficiency
Review Am J Ther . Jan/Feb 2019;26(1):e124-e132. doi: 10.1097/MJT.0000000000000538.
Pramod Reddy, Linda R Edwards
Background: Vitamin D and magnesium (Mg) are some of the most studied topics in medicine with enormous implications for human health and disease. Majority of the adults are deficient in both vitamin D and magnesium but continue to go unrecognized by many health care professionals.
Areas of uncertainty: Mg and vitamin D are used by all the organs in the body, and their deficiency states may lead to several chronic medical conditions. Studies described in the literature regarding these disease associations are contradictory, and reversal of any of these conditions may not occur for several years after adequate replacement. One should consider the supplementation therapy to be preventative rather than curative at this time.
Data sources: PubMed search of several reported associations between vitamin D and Mg with diseases.
Results: Vitamin D and Mg replacement therapy in elderly patients is known to reduce the nonvertebral fractures, overall mortality, and the incidence of Alzheimer dementia.
Conclusions: Vitamin D screening assay is readily available, but the reported lower limit of the normal range is totally inadequate for disease prevention. Based on the epidemiologic studies, ∼75% of all adults worldwide have serum 25(OH)D levels of <30 ng/mL. Because of the recent increase in global awareness, vitamin D supplementation has become a common practice, but Mg deficiency still remains unaddressed. Screening for chronic magnesium deficiency is difficult because a normal serum level may still be associated with moderate to severe deficiency. To date, there is no simple and accurate laboratory test to determine the total body magnesium status in humans. Mg is essential in the metabolism of vitamin D, and taking large doses of vitamin D can induce severe depletion of Mg. Adequate magnesium supplementation should be considered as an important aspect of vitamin D therapy.
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
- Overview of Magnesium
- All items Magnesium and Vitamin D
- All items Strength of Evidence for D
- Must balance cofactors when increasing vitamin D
- Magnesium and Vitamin D very synergistic – Aug 2013Magnesium and Vitamin D - similar, different and synergistic
17364 visitors, last modified 22 Mar, 2022,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)
ID Name Comment Uploaded Size Downloads 17284 Mg AND Vitamin D.jpg admin 22 Mar, 2022 20:34 272.15 Kb 316 17283 Mg and Vitamin D.pdf admin 22 Mar, 2022 20:34 274.04 Kb 176 7290 Tinnitus Mg.jpg admin 04 Nov, 2016 16:45 22.80 Kb 23916 7289 tinnitus Magnesium.pdf admin 04 Nov, 2016 16:45 944.30 Kb 1139 731 Venn diagram Vit D and Mag.gif Venn admin 18 Sep, 2011 17:37 5.98 Kb 7579
- All items Strength of Evidence for D