An Increase in Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Concentrations Preceded a Plateau in Type 1 Diabetes Incidence in Finnish Children.
J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014 Jul 25:jc20141455. [Epub ahead of print]
Mäkinen M1, Simell V, Mykkänen J, Ilonen J, Veijola R, Hyöty H, Knip M, Simell O, Toppari J, Hermann R.
Context: In Finland the world-record high incidence of type 1 diabetes has risen steeply over past decades; however, after 2006 the incidence rate has plateaued. We showed earlier, that despite the strong genetic disease component, environmental factors are driving the increasing disease incidence.
Objective: Since vitamin D intake has increased considerably in the country since 2003, we analyzed how serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25[OH]D) concentration changed over time in healthy children, and the timely relation of these changes to disease incidence.
Design, Setting and Participants: The birth cohort of the Finnish Type 1 Diabetes Prediction and Prevention project was used to explore longitudinal changes in serum 25-hydroxyvitamin concentrations. The sampling period was limited to children born during 1994-2004 with serum samples collected during 1998-2006 in Turku area - Southwest Finland (60 °N). Main Outcome Measure: 25(OH)D concentrations were measured every 3-6 months from birth - age range 0.3-12.2 years (387 subjects; 5334 measurements).
Results: Serum 25(OH)D concentrations were markedly lower before 2003 than thereafter (69.3±1.0 nmol/L vs. 84.9±1.3 nmol/L, respectively, P < .001) in both genders. The mean difference between the periods was 15.7±1.3 nmol/L (P< .001). Importantly, the frequency of children with low serum 25(OH)D levels (< 50 nmol/L) was reduced to almost half from 2003 (37.3 % versus 69.9 %; P< .001). Similarly, severe vitamin D deficiency (<25 nmol/L) has also decreased (2.7% vs. 7.7%; P = .005). In addition, we detected higher 25(OH)D concentrations in young children (<2 years) as compared to older children, which is explained by higher vitamin D intake in this group.
Conclusions: We provide evidence that an increase in circulating concentrations of 25(OH)D shows a delayed temporal association with leveling off of type 1 diabetes incidence in Finland after 2006.
PDF is attached at the bottom of this page
- Type 1 diabetes starting to decrease in Finland, they started Vitamin D fortification in 2003 – July 2013
- Infants in Finland who got 2000 IU vitamin D daily grew to normal height – March 2011
- Finland increased vitamin D - Nov 2010
- T1 diabetes OR type1 diabetes in title 106 items as of May 2018
- All items in Fortification and Vitamin D
- T1 Diabetes associated with low vitamin D - Nov 2014
- Vitamin D fortification is returning to Finland – now 400 IU per 100 gram of butter – Oct 2016
Pages listed in BOTH of the categories Diabetes and Infant/Child
- Milk Consumption Is strong linked to Type 1 Diabetes – Dr. Greger Nov 2019
- T1 Diabetes treated by Vitamin D and Omega-3 (many other studies agree) Jan 2018
- Children in India – 1 in 7 extremely low Vitamin D, 1 in 10 prediabetic – Sept 2019
- Type 1 diabetes trial having problems getting participants – too many taking Vitamin D or Omega-3 – Aug 2019
- Type 1 Diabetes is prevented and treated by Vitamin D – review of 16 studies – Sept 2019
- T1 Diabetes reduction by high Omega-3 and Vitamin D – GRH ongoing observation
- Type 1 Diabetes prevention with Vitamin D and Omega-3 – Symposium April 2019
- Type 1 Diabetes risk increased if high postpartum Vitamin D binding protein – Jan 2019
- T1 Diabetes – how it may be prevented and treated by Vitamin D – Dec 2018
- Vitamin D and Omega-3 may treat Type 1 Diabetes – RCT 2024
- Type 1 Diabetes is increasing – decreased vitamin D is one of the many possible reasons – Sept 2018
- Early Type 1 Diabetes May Shorten Women’s Lives by 18 Years - Aug 2018
- Type 1 Diabetes (T1DM) 1.6 X more likely if low vitamin D – meta-analysis Jan 2018
- Type 1 Diabetes 14 percent more likely with 2 Vitamin D Receptor mutations – Oct 2017
- T1 Diabetes associated with many other autoimmune diseases (all related to low vitamin D) – May 2017
- Vitamin D deficiency is associated with prediabetes in obese Swedish children – Oct 2016
- Type 1 diabetes 1.6 times more likely if a Vitamin D Receptor problem – Feb 2017
- Type II Diabetes in children in India increased 4 X in 20 years – Nov 2016
- Type 1 diabetes risk not decreased if add 400 IU vitamin D while pregnant (no surprise) – Dec 2016
- Diabetes in child not prevented by a tiny amount of vitamin D during pregnancy – Nov 2015
- Diabetes (Type 1) increasing 4 percent per year, now 30,000 in the UK - May 2015
- T1 diabetes in children helped with two doses of 150,000 IU of vitamin D and Calcium – March 2015
- Type I diabetes in dark skin children associated with low vitamin D if far from equator – Jan 2015
- Type 1 diabetes helped with 50,000 IU of vitamin D every two weeks – Nov 2014
- T1 Diabetes associated with low vitamin D - Nov 2014
- Type I Diabetes stopped increasing in Finland after Vitamin D levels were raised – July 2014
- Diabetic children often need more than 7,000 IU of vitamin D – June 2014
- T1 Diabetes 35 percent more likely if 10 degrees further from equator (less vitamin D) – June 2014
- Higher vitamin D at birth associated with less diabetes and obesity 35 years later – Jan 2014
- Type 1 diabetes 3.5X more frequent if low vitamin D - Medscape CME Dec 2012
- Metabolic Syndrome in children is associated with low vitamin D – review Jan 2013
- Like their diabetic mothers, infants had low vitamin D and were slightly diabetic – May 2012
- Type I diabetes 2X more likely if mother had low vitamin D – Jan 2012
Note: T1 Diabetes in Finland is still 5X higher than it was back when they gave an adequate amount of vitamin D to everyone.
- 60 percent more life births after infertility diagnosis if Vitamin D fortification (Denmark) - Nov 2019
- Vitamin D food fortification during pregnancy reduced gestational diabetes in daughters by 13 percent – Nov 2018
- Vitamin D added to margarine reduced inflammatory bowel disease by 13 percent 30 years later – Nov 2019
- Preeclampsia of offspring cut in half if mother who smoked had vitamin D fortified margarine – Dec 2017
- Danish study of childhood diseases vs vitamin D fortification – May 2013
- 9 studies by Denmak D-Tech group (fortifiy Margarine with Vitamin D) online as of Nov 2019
2832 visitors, last modified 24 Nov, 2019, URL: