The following was reported by Grassroots Health Nov 30
VitaminDWiki added bolding to the text and a lable to the graphic
Do vitamin D levels in children affect their chance of getting COVID-19 and its severity?
While children do not tend to be as severely affected by the SARS-CoV-2 virus and the resulting effects of COVID-19, they are certainly not immune to it, and there is concern that children who carry the virus but are asymptomatic are a contributor to its spread.
Children are also not ‘immune’ to vitamin D deficiency – in fact, a previous post shared data from the US NHANES data set showing that vitamin D levels decline as children age, with a 4-fold increase in the proportion of children below 20 ng/ml (50 nmol/L) from ages 0-4 years up to ages 13-17 years old.
How Might Vitamin D Levels in Children Affect Their COVID-19 Status?
To answer this question, Kamil Yilmaz and Velat Sen conducted a study in which they enrolled 85 children between the ages of 1 month to 18 years, 40 of whom had been diagnosed with COVID-19 and hospitalized, and 45 who were healthy controls. Children with chronic diseases and other co-morbidities were excluded from the study.
Children diagnosed with COVID-19 were divided into two groups for analysis – Group 1 included children who had a vitamin D level below 20 ng/ml, and Group 2 included those with levels at or above 20 ng/ml.
What did the study find?
The study found a significant difference in vitamin D levels between the children with COVID-19, who had a median level of 13 ng/ml (32 nmol/L), and the control group, with a median level of 35 ng/ml (87 nmol/L).
When disease severity for the children who were diagnosed with COVID-19 was analyzed according to vitamin D level, a trend was found showing increased disease severity for those with lower vitamin D levels. In fact, among those with a vitamin D level below 20 ng/ml (50 nmol/L), 31% of the children had moderate to severe COVID-19 symptoms, compared to only 18% with moderate symptoms (none classified as severe) for those children with vitamin D levels of 20 ng/ml or higher. Additionally, 46% of the children with higher vitamin D levels were asymptomatic, compared to 10% of those with lower vitamin D levels.
The study also found a significant negative correlation between vitamin D level and the chance of getting a fever (defined as a temperature above 100.4 F or 38 C, p=0.023), meaning that as vitamin D levels increased, the chance of fever decreased. Overall, none of the children with a vitamin D level of at least 20 ng/ml had a fever, while 34.5% of those with levels below 20 ng/ml did.
See also VitaminDWiki
-  Download the Study PDF from VitaminDWiki
- COVID-19 treated by Vitamin D - studies, reports, videos
As of Feb 25, 2022, the VitaminDWiki COVID page had: 19 trial results, 37 meta-analyses and reviews, Mortality studies see related: Governments, HealthProblems, Hospitals, Dark Skins, 26 risk factors are ALL associated with low Vit D, Recent Virus pages Fight COVID-19 with 50K Vit D weekly Vaccines Take lots of Vitamin D at first signs of COVID 123 COVID Clinical Trials using Vitamin D (1/2023) Cost to prevent a COVID death: 11 dollars of Vitamin D - Nov 2022
5 most-recently changed Virus entries
Items in both categories Children and Virus are listed here:
- Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome of COVID in Children 3X more likely if low Vitamin D – Feb 2023
- PICU layoffs due to pandemic lulls, but children are now getting 3 years of viral infection all at once – Oct 2022
- COVID 5.5 X more likely to be severe if low Vitamin D (children in this case) – Oct 2022
- Tripledemic: Flu, COVID, and RSV (all fought by Vitamin D) - Oct 2022
- CDC advised to recommended annual COVID vaccination of all children over 6 months old – Oct 20, 2022
- 6X increase in excess deaths of children since vaccinations were started - Oct 2022
- Early puberty during pandemic (perhaps just low vitamin D) - Sept 2022
- COVID kids were more likely to have a poor VDR (4.3 X), than low Vitamin D (2.6 X) – Sept 2022
- Recent increases in pediatric endocrine problems may be decreased by Vitamin D – Aug 2022
- COVID children helped by Vitamin D, trial terminated: unethical to not give Vitamin D to all: – RCT July 2022
- Increase in children with low vitamin D and with tibia fractures during COVID – June 2022
- 28,859 deaths and 238,412 serious injuries due to vaccines, how many more when add ages 0.5 - 5 – June 2022
- Pandemic Vitamin D levels dropped by 3.3 ng (perhaps less D, more health problems) – May 2022
- Problems after childhood vaccinations - many studies
- FDA approved 5-11 vaccine booster (based tiny unpublished study without asking advisory panel) May 2022
- Remdesivir approved to treat COVID in Infants, yet Vitamin D is 3000 X more cost effective and widely used - April 2022
- Risk factors for severe COVID in children are all related to low vitamin D (same as adults) - April 2022
- Hepatitis normally rare in children: huge increase after lockdown (Adenovirus, low Vitamin D) - April 2022
- Children with higher Vitamin D had less severe COVID (no surprise) – April 2022
- Children have less severe COVID, but just as much long-haul as adults - April 2022
- Croup (due to viruses) has surged with Omicron - March 2022
- COVID children with multisystem inflammatory syndrome have less than 10 ng of vitamin D – March 2022
- Younger are much less likely to die of COVID than elderly (posters) - Nov 2021
- COVID Vaccination trial for kids: 11 red flags - Oct 25, 2021
- Children and COVID - many studies
- 8 of 10 pediatric COVID-19 infections were Vitamin D deficient (49 patients) – May 2021
- Severe pediatric COVID 5.5 more likely if low vitamin D (review of 6 studies) -July 2021
- 68 infants died in Italy 2009-2011 soon after vaccination, drop in US SIDS when vaccinations slowed due to COVID-19 – July 2021
- Hospitalized children with COVID-19 and inflammation had lower vitamin D – March 2021
- Severe childhood COVID-19 associated with Vitamin D deficiency (hospital in Turkey) – March 2021
- Vitamin D might reduce Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in children – March 2021
- 87 percent of children with COVID–19 had low vitamin D (small study) – Feb 2021
- Vaccinations resulted in increased office visits for children 16 months later - Nov 2020
- 13 possible reasons why COVID-19 is less severe in children – Dec 1, 2020
- Vitamin D associated with reduced COVID-19 risks in children - Grassroots Nov 2020
- Children with low vitamin D far more likely to hospitalized with COVID-19 – Oct 2020
- Respiratory viral infection (RSV) and low vitamin D - many studies
- Increased weight in children 8X more likely for each unit increase in adenovirus (if ignore Vitamin D) – Nov 2019
- Severe hand, foot, and mouth virus is 2.9 X more likely if poor Vitamin D receptor – Oct 2018
- More US infants die in 1st day than in all other developed countries COMBINED (and US gives vaccine in first day) – May 2013
- Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease (virus) strongly associated with low vitamin D – May 2017
- Half the risk of Influenza -A in infants taking 1200 IU of vitamin D for 4 months – RCT Jan 2018
- Child is 2 X more likely to get influenza if have older sibling (perhaps closely-spaced birth) – Sept 2017
Items in both categories Children and Immunity are listed here:
- 2.4 X fewer lower respiratory track infections in infants getting 400 IU of Vitamin D – May 2022
- Infant and child immunity depends on Vitamin D and two Vitamin D genes – Review April 2020
- Lower Respiratory Tract Infection in Infants reduced 5.9 X by daily 600 IU of vitamin D (China) - March 2020
- I have a PhD in immunology and this is how I keep my daughter from getting sick during the winter
- Preemie immunity (Treg) vastly improved by 800 IU of Vitamin D daily – RCT July 2019
- Treatment of neonate sepsis greatly aided by Vitamin D – RCT June 2019
- Infection in first six months of life: White 69 percent, Black, 78 percent – Jan 2018
- Vitamin D does not help children (if only use 400 IU of D3 or D2 or quarterly) – Cochrane Nov 2016
- Vitamin D improves a child’s immune system – can now be claimed in Europe – Sept 2016
- Rotavirus diarrhea (nearly every child gets it) is strongly associated with low vitamin D – Aug 2015
- Immune System response of infants is associated with higher levels of vitamin D – RCT Nov 2014
- Infant sepsis strongly associated with low vitamin D – Aug 2014
- Middle ear infection (Otitis Media) and Vitamin D – many studies
- Tonsillectomy, tonsollitis and Vitamin D - many studies
- Many infant infections avoided with supplementation with 400 IU of vitamin D – Oct 2012
- TB vaccinations increased vitamin D levels a year later – Jan 2012
There have actually been
|581 visitors, last modified 31 Aug, 2022,
|14639||Yilmaz-COVID-Vit-D-Children.pdf||admin 30 Nov, 2020 16:10||142.66 Kb||227|
|14638||Children GRH.jpg||admin 30 Nov, 2020 16:09||144.38 Kb||325|