Table of contents
- FDA Rubber-Stamps Remdesivir for Infants Without Evidence of Safety, Efficacy
- Remdesivir ‘Disastrous’ as COVID Treatment, But Government Pays Hospitals to Use It - May 2022
- "Safety and effectiveness ... have not been established in pediatric patients younger than 12 years of age" (package insert)
- VitaminDWiki - Risk factors for severe COVID in children are all related to low vitamin D (same as adults) - April 2022
- VitaminDWiki - Children with higher Vitamin D had less severe COVID (no surprise) – April 2022
- VitaminDWiki - Severe pediatric COVID 5.5 more likely if low vitamin D (review of 6 studies) -July 2021
- VitaminDWiki - Vitamin D might reduce Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in children – March 2021
- Vitamin D is 3000 X more cost-effective, studied on 16X more patients, with virtually no side effects however, Gilead Sciences had the money to petition for the FDA approval
- Probably would cost $50,000 to petition the FDA that Vitamin D can reduce COVID risk in children
- Many successful vitamin D early treatment trials for adults
- Vitamin D is much better than Remdesivir for adults
- VitaminDWiki - Infant-Child category has
710 studies and starts with
- Did you know that:
- "According to the press release, the FDA’s decision to approve the therapy, marketed under the name Veklury, is supported by a clinical study conducted on infants 4 weeks and older weighing a minimum of 6.6 pounds."
- "The study is underway and will not be completed until February 2023. There are no published results."
- "However, Gilead Sciences, maker of remdesivir and sponsor of the study, provided the following details in a company press release:"
- A total of 53 hospitalized pediatric patients were enrolled in the clinical study.
- 72% suffered adverse events.
- 21% suffered serious adverse events determined to be unrelated to the drug.
- Three children died from either underlying conditions or COVID-19.
Note: Gilead saw $5.6B in remdesivir sales in 2021
Assuming $3,100 per dose, Gilead sold 1.8 million doses in 2022
Well over 1 billion doses of vitamin D were sold in 2022
- "Remdesivir, which to this day is the primary COVID drug approved for use in U.S. hospitals, routinely causes severe organ damage and, often, death."
- "Despite its horrible track record, the U.S. government actually pays hospitals a 20% upcharge for sticking to the remdesivir protocol, plus an additional bonus. Hospitals must also use remdesivir if they want liability protection."
"Safety and effectiveness ... have not been established in pediatric patients younger than 12 years of age" (package insert)
Natural Health May 2, 2022
VitaminDWiki - Risk factors for severe COVID in children are all related to low vitamin D (same as adults) - April 2022
VitaminDWiki - Severe pediatric COVID 5.5 more likely if low vitamin D (review of 6 studies) -July 2021
Vitamin D is 3000 X more cost-effective, studied on 16X more patients, with virtually no side effects however, Gilead Sciences had the money to petition for the FDA approval
5,000 X ROI for Gilead Sciences ($5,000 of profit for every $1 invested)
Guessing: $1 billion in profit in 2 years for $200,000 cost (trial + FDA petition)
- FDA allows the claim that Vitamin D “supports healthy pregnancies and promotes full-term births” – Oct 2019
Unfortunately, there are >100 Vitamin D suppliers,. so the additional total Vitamin D sales ($3 million?) would be greatly deluted
Addional sales:<$3 million $1 of vitamin D per infected child X 24 million children X 1 in 10 are infected
Guess increased profit = 20% X increased sales = $600,000
Ther might be a single manufactuer that has 5% of the market - it would get increased revenue of $30,000
This would not repay the $50,000 cost to petition the FDA
VitaminDWiki - Infant-Child category has
710 studies and starts with
- No consensus on MINIMUM International Units (IU) for healthy infant of normal weight
- 400 IU Vitamin D is no longer enough
Was OK in the past century, but D levels have been dropping for a great many reasons.
FDA doubled the vitamin D level in milk in July 2016
- No consensus: range is 600 to 1600 IU – based on many randomized controlled trials
- Review of 400 IU to 2000 IU daily and higher if non-daily
- Fewer pre-infants were vitamin D deficient when they got 800 IU – RCT Feb 2014
- 1600 IU was the conclusion of three JAMA studies
1000 IU recommended in France and Finland – 2013 - appears to be a good level
- 5X less mite allergy after add vitamin D
- Child bone fractures with low vitamin D were 55X more likely to need surgery
- 75 % of SIDS had low vitamin D
- Children stayed in ICU 3.5 days longer if low vitamin D – Dec 2015
- 5 out of 6 children who died in pediatric critical care unit had low vitamin D – May 2014
- Infants have gotten free 400 IU of vitamin D in Turkey since 2005, More for longer would be even better – Feb 2022
- Preemies should have vitamin D supplements – reaching an agreement – April 2021
- Vitamin D loading dose was as effective as daily dosing (rickets in this case) – RCT July 2021
Having a good level of vitamin D cuts in half the amount of:
- Asthma, Chronic illness, Doctor visits, Allergies, infection
Respiratory Tract Infection, Growing pains, Bed wetting
Need even more IUs of vitamin D to get a good level if;
- Have little vitamin D: premie, twin, mother did not get much sun access
- Get little vitamin D: dark skin, little access to sun
- Vitamin D is consumed faster than normal due to sickness
- Older (need at least 100 IU/kilogram, far more if obese)
- Not get any vitamin D from formula (breast fed) or (fortified) milk
Note – formula does not even provide 400 IU of vitamin D daily
Infants-Children need Vitamin D
- Sun is great – well known for 1,000’s of years.
US govt (1934) even said infants should be out in the sun
- One country recommended 2,000 IU daily for decades – with no known problems
- As with adults, infants and children can have loading doses and rarely need tests
- Daily dose appears to be best, but monthly seems OK
- Vitamin D is typically given to infants in the form of drops
big difference in taste between brands
can also use water-soluable form of vitamin D in milk, food, juice,
- Infants have evolved to get a big boost of vitamin D immediately after birth
Colostrum has 3X more vitamin D than breast milk - provided the mother has any vitamin D to spare
- 100 IU per kg of infant July 2011, Poland etc.
More than 100 IU/kg is probably better
Getting Vitamin D into infants
Many infants reject vitamin D drops, even when put on nipple
I speculate that the rejection is due to one or more of: additives, taste, and oils.
Infants have a hard time digesting oils, 1999 1997 and palm oils W.A. Price 1 2 3
Coconut oil, such as in D-Drops, is digested by infants. 1, 2 3
Bio-Tech Pharmacal Vitamin D has NO additves, taste, nor oil
One capsule of 50,000 Bio-Tech Pharmacal Vitamin D could be stirred into monthly formula or given once a month
this would result in ~1,600 IUs per day for infant, and higher dose with weight/age/formula consumption
710 items in the category Infant/Child See also
- 34 pages in VitaminDWiki had BREASTFE*in title as of Jan 2022
- "BIRTH DEFECTS" 172 items as of July 2016
- Stunting OR “low birth weight” OR LBW OR preemie OR preemies OR preterm 1940 items as of Oct 2018
- 96 VitaminDWiki pages contained PRETERM or PREEMIE in title as of Aug 2021
- "SUDDEN INFANT DEATH" OR SIDS 214 items as of Dec 2020
- Overview of Rickets and Vitamin D
- Youth category listing has
161 items along with related searches
This list is automatically updatedItems found: 36
There have actually been
403 visitors to this page since it was originally madeRemdesivir approved to treat COVID in Infants, yet Vitamin D is 3000 X more cost effective and widely used - April 2022 352 visitors, last modified 13 May, 2022,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)Top news 885 Infant-Child 710 Virus 1076