Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS) 1 in 5,000 people
EDS results in hypermobility of joints and skin
If one parent has EDS then 50% chance that infant will have EDS
If two parents have EDS then 75% chance in infant
No DNA test (yet) for EDS
EDS very dangerous if also have low vitamin D. Looks like broken bones due to child abuse
EDS on Wikipedia 13 types of EDS as of 2017
Best source of Calcium Milk or yogurt (especially if lactose intollerant - also TUMS)
No need to test, very low cost, just supplement
If mother just take prenatal Vitamins (400 IU) highly likely that both mother and infant will be deficient
Legs can be bowed out or bowed in with Rickets
Head sweating in infant is a good sign of low vitamin D
Infant can bruise easily with rickets
Multiple unexplained fractures in infants and child physical abuse.
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2016 Sep 15. pii: S0960-0760(16)30248-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jsbmb.2016.09.012. [Epub ahead of print]
Cannell JJ1, Holick MF2.
When an infant presents with X-rays showing multiple unexplained fractures in various stages of healing (MUFVSH), the child is usually diagnosed with child abuse based on criteria of the Academy of Pediatrics' Committee on Child Abuse and Neglect (AAPCCAAN). Almost always, the infant is subsequently removed from the home and civil or criminal proceeding commence. It may be that healing infantile rickets or other poorly understood metabolic bone disorders of infancy are responsible for these x-rays. Activated vitamin D is a seco-steroid hormone, whose mechanism of action is genetic regulation. Lack of it can result in musculoskeletal defects known as rickets. Low calcium can also cause rickets. However, it is clear that experts for the state believe that the x-rays in these cases are so definitive as to be pathognomonic for child abuse. Therefore, if the caregivers deny abusing their infants, experts following American Academy of Pediatric's Committee on Child Abuse and Neglect. guidelines are essentially claiming that x-rays showing multiple unexplained fractures in various stages of healing are lie detector tests. However, it is not widely appreciated that the gold standard for the diagnosis of rickets is a bone biopsy, not x-rays, as radiologists miss biopsy proven rickets 80% of the time; that is, 4 out of 5 infants with rickets will have normal x-rays. In this article we provide reports of two cases and their outcomes. We discuss information about healing infantile rickets and an example of common sense medical conclusions in these cases. This information could lead to a significant reduction in the number of innocent parents having their infant removed or sent to prison.
10.1016/j.jsbmb.2016.09.012  Download the PDF from SciHub via VitaminDWiki
- Overview of Rickets and Vitamin D
- Child abuse fractures – 96 percent were associated with poor bones (low vitamin D, etc.) – Oct 2019
Infant-Child category contains
591 items in the category Infant/Child See also
- breastfed 962 items as of Sept 2017
- "BIRTH DEFECTS" 172 items as of July 2016
- Stunting OR “low birth weight” OR LBW OR preemie OR preemies OR preterm 1940 items as of Oct 2018
- "SUDDEN INFANT DEATH" OR SIDS 177 items as of Nov 2018
- Overview of Rickets and Vitamin D
- Youth category listing has
145 items along with related searches
- Holick interview by Mercola on Vitamin D – Dec 2015
- Sunlight and Your Health: An EnLIGHTening Perspective - Holick Video Dec 2014
- If You're Low in This Nutrient, It Doubles Your Odds of Many Cancers– Interview Dr. Holick Oct 2013
- Vitamin D from 1940 and into the future – Holick video Nov 2013
- Children helped by 2,000 IU of vitamin D, but not RDA amount (600 IU) – RCT Sept 2017
- Role of Vitamin D in the Pathogenesis of Diabetes – Holick July 2017
- Vitamin D responses to as much as 15,000 IU per day – Feb 2017
- Vitamin D supplementation guidelines (adults – 50,000 IU per week) – Feb 2017
- The risks and benefits of sun exposure – Holick Oct 2016
- Go ahead, soak up some sun (but don’t burn) – Holick July 2015
- Live Longer with Vitamin D - Holick March 2015
- Less sun means more disease -Grant, Holick, Cannell, et al Feb 2015
- Vitamin D needs in 2004:1000 IU, 10 years later same author says 3,500 IU
Audio-only interview April 2017
What is vitamin D
Is it possible to reduce the risk of the flu by as much as 42%
Vitamin D controls over 200 genes in the cardiovascular system
Reduce the risk of heart attack by 50%
Lack of Vitamin D causes higher blood pressure
Why we who live in Norway have 10-15x greater likelihood of diabetes
How much vitamin D your body needs every single day
What are the symptoms of too little D vitamin
Why is vitamin D so incredibly important to us
What diseases can you get because of little vitamin D
How long do you have to be in the sun to limit the likelihood of high blood pressure and illnesses.
Do you live in Norway, your body does NOT produce vitamin D 6mth of the year.
Are you born in the winter you have a higher risk of Schizophrenia later in life.
Higher vitamin D values reduce the risk of cesarean section by 200 to 300%
How high values should you have while you are pregnant
How much D Vitamin should have small children every day
Why your skin turns red when you're in the sun? Use of sunscreen
The most dangerous form of skin cancer occurs when you do not get sun.
Flawed Theories to Explain Child Physical Abuse: What Are the Medical-Legal Consequences?
Publisher wants $30 for the PDF
Click below to see first page