being reissued as a single volume paperback. $119
Hardback 2nd edition 2 volume 2010, first edition 1999
In Vitamin D: Physiology, Molecular Biology, and Clinical Applications, Second Edition, leading researchers provide a comprehensive, highly readable overview of the biological functions and clinical applications of vitamin D and its metabolites.
Topics range from the most recent recommendations for vitamin D intake to new approaches for the treatment and prevention of vitamin D deficiency and the development of active vitamin D drugs to treat psoriasis and cancer.
The book demonstrates the significant role that vitamin D has in maintaining good bone health and the prevention of osteoporosis, an important health problem for adults over the age of fifty.
In addition, it authoritatively reviews the
- relationship between sunlight exposure, vitamin D, and increased risk of colon and breast cancer;
- how vitamin D is made in the skin; and
- the sequence of events that leads to its activation by the kidney.
Also examined are the biological functions of 1,25-dihydrovitamin D3 on
- the intestine and bone, as well as
- other tissues, such as
- vitamin D's molecular mechanism of action on the cell membrane and nucleus.
The first edition of Vitamin D: Physiology, Molecular Biology and Clinical Applications was the benchmark in the field when published in 1999.
This new and expanded volume continues to include extensive, in-depth chapters covering the most important aspects of the complex interactions between vitamin D and other dietary components, the ongoing debate concerning the best indicator of optimal vitamin D status and its nutrient requirements, and the impact of less than optimal status on disease risk.
Vitamin D: Physiology, Molecular Biology, and Clinical Applications, Second Edition is designed and organized not only to be an up-to-date review on the subject, but also to provide medical students, graduate students, health care professionals and even the lay public with a reference source for the most up-to-date information about the vitamin D deficiency pandemic and its clinical implications for health and disease.
- Overview Vitamin D books
- Vitamin D Solution – Holick 2010 author is one of the top 5 researchers, pretty good, many libraries will have the book
- Vitamin D, Sunlight and Cancer Connection – Holick Jan 2013
- Evidence for vitamin D – Holick June 2012 Dermato-Endocrinology
- VITAMIN D: A D-LIGHTFUL SOLUTION FOR GOOD HEALTH – Holick 2012
- Vitamin D presentation by Dr. Holick Spring 2012 Video