Role of Vitamin-D in the prevention and treatment of Alzheimer's disease.
Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 2015 Jan-Mar;59(1):94-9.
Gangwar AK, Rawat A, Tiwari S, Tiwari SC, Narayan J, Tiwari S.
Changes in MMSE Scores from PDF (subset of the table)
|Vitamin D |
(4,000 IU daily)
|3 month to 6 month||2.37±1.33||1.72±1.30|
MMSE = Mini Mental State Examination
Lower MMSE = poorer cognition
Overview Alzheimer's-Cognition and Vitamin D has the following summary
- FACT: Cognitive decline is 19X more likely if low vitamin D
- FACT: Dementia is associated with low vitamin D levels.
- FACT: Alzheimer’s Dementia 2.3X more likely in elderly if low vitamin D – Dec 2022
- FACT: Dementia is associated with low vitamin D - many studies
- FACT: Alzheimer's Disease is 4X less likely if high vitamin D
- FACT: Every single risk factor listed for Alzheimer's Disease is also a risk factor for low vitamin D levels
- FACT: Elderly cognition gets worse as the elderly vitamin D levels get even lower (while in senior homes)
- OBSERVATION: Reports of increased vitamin D levels result in improved cognition
- OBSERVATION: Alzheimer’s patients 3X more likely to have a malfunctioning vitamin D receptor gene – 2012
- OBSERVATION: Alzheimer's Disease has been seen to halt when vitamin D was added.
- OBSERVATION: Alzheimer’s is associated with all 7 of the genes which restrict vitamin D
- OBSERVATION: 39 vitamin D and Alz. or Cognition intervention trials as of Sept 2018
- OBSERVATION: 2 Meta-analysis in 2012 agreed that Alzheimer's Disease. associated with low vitamin D
- OBSERVATION: 50X increase in Alzheimer's while decrease in vitamin D
- OBSERVATION: Vitamin D reduces Alzheimer’s disease in 11 ways
- OBSERVATION: Alzheimer’s cognition improved by 4,000 IU of vitamin D
- OBSERVATION: Plaque removed in mice by equiv. of 14,000 IU daily
- OBSERVATION: DDT (which decreases Vit D) increases risk of Alzheimer's by up to 3.8X
- FACT: Vitamin D is extremely low cost and has very very few side effects
- CONCLUSION: Everyone concerned about cognitive decline or Alzheimer's Disease should take vitamin D
- PREDICTION: By 2024 Omega-3 and high dose Vitamin D will be found to reverse Alzheimer's in humans
- As of 2018 that combination has worked well with Multiple Sclerosis, Sleep, and Cluster Headaches
There are 12+ Alzheimer’s meta-analyses in VitaminDWiki
There are 84+ Alzheimer’s studies in VitaminDWiki
Dementia is associated with low vitamin D - many studies 50+
48 studies in both categories Cognitive and Omega-3 see below
The End of Alzheimer's - if custom adjust Vitamin D, B-12, Iron, Omega-3, etc.
Customizing the types of treatment to the individual results in reversing Alzheimer's
Items in categories Cognition and Intervention (give Vitamin D and see what happens)
- Every schizophrenia measure was improved when vitamin D levels were normalized – June 2021
- Mild cognitive decline reversed by a year of just 800 IU Vitamin D daily – RCT Dec 2020
- Methadone cognition improved by 50,000 IU of vitamin D every 2 weeks – RCT May 2019
- Schizophrenia reduced by biweekly 50,000 IU Vitamin D and probiotics – RCT Feb 2019
- Cognitive function of adult women improved in 3 months of 50,000 IU weekly Vitamin D – Jan 2019
- Amyloid brain plaque both prevented and removed by high vitamin D (in mice) – Aug 2018
- Cognition improved a tiny amount with 400 IU of vitamin D (not a surprise) – RCT Oct 2018
- 9,000 dollar prize for RCT which found cognition improved after taking 4,000 IU of Vitamin D for 18 weeks – May 2018
- Senior cognition improved somewhat by 4,000 IU of Vitamin D (if initially less than 30 ng) – RCT April 2017
- Vitamin D and Glutamine reduced Trauma Center deaths by half – March 2017
- Mental health intervention trials using enough vitamin D for long enough found benefits – Jan 2017
- Visual memory improved a bit by vitamin D if start with less than 30 ng – RCT Jan 2017
- Cognition of Alzheimer’s patients improved by daily 4,000 IU of vitamin D – RCT Jan 2015
- 2,000 IU of vitamin D reduced schizophrenia chance by 77 percent (male infants) - 2004
- Better memory if take lots of vitamin D (senior rats) – May 2015
- Severe Alzheimer's delayed by 1 year with vitamin D intervention – March 2014
- Vitamin D aided progesterone in reducing traumatic brain injury – RCT Dec 2012
- Age-related cognitive decline in rats mitigated by Vitamin D intervention – RCT Oct 2012
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
Alzheimer's disease is the most common form of age related cognitive impairment. Aim of the present study was to see the effect of vitamin D on cognitive function in elderly. The study was conducted in Department of Physiology, King George's Medical University (KGMU). A total of 80 subjects were enrolled based on Mini Mental State Examination (MMSE) score < 24 and vitamin D deficiency. They were divided into two groups as Group A (case) and Group B (control), each group having 40 subjects. Intervention (Vitamin D supplementation) was given in Group A. The assessment of dementia was done by Mini Mental State Examination (MMSE) score. Every subject was clinically evaluated and estimation of vitamin D was done by direct ELISA kit. Gender, weight, height, BMI, residence and education were also similar between two groups. A significant (p=0.0001) change in MMSE score was observed in both Group A and Group B from baseline to 3 & 6 months and from 3 to 6 months, however, mean change was higher in Group A than Group B.
In conclusion, vitamin D supplementation caused significant improvement in the cognitive performance in subjects with senile dementia.
PMID: 26571990Cognition of Alzheimer’s patients improved by daily 4,000 IU of vitamin D – RCT Jan 2015
5274 visitors, last modified 18 Feb, 2019,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)