[Article in Spanish]
Vertex. 2014 Mar-Apr;25(114):85-91.
Chaves M1, Toral A, Bisonni A, Rojas JI, Fernández C, Basallo MJ, Matusevich D, Cristiano E, Golimstok A.
1Servicio de Neurología, Hospital Italiano de Buenos Aires. marcelo.chaves at hospitalitaliano.org.ar.
Unknown amount of vitamin D was used to augment conventional Alzheimer's treatment
Vitamin D slowed the progression to severe stage Alzheimer's by 1 year
No comment in article on Vitamin D affect on change, if any, on other Alzheimer's outcomes.
Alzheimers-Cognition - Overview has the following summary
- FACT: Cognitive decline is 19X more likely if low vitamin D
- FACT: Dementia is associated with low vitamin D levels.
- FACT: Alzheimer’s 21 % more likely if low vitamin D
- FACT: Alzheimer's Disease is 4X less likely if high vitamin D
- FACT: Every single risk factor listed for Alzheimer's Disease is also a risk factor for low vitamin D levels
- FACT: Elderly cognition gets worse as the elderly vitamin D levels get even lower (while in senior homes)
- OBSERVATION: Reports of increased vitamin D levels result in improved cognition
- OBSERVATION: Alzheimer’s patients 3X more likely to have a malfunctioning vitamin D receptor gene – 2012
- OBSERVATION: Alzheimer's Disease has been seen to halt when vitamin D was added.
- OBSERVATION: Alzheimer’s is associated with all 7 of the genes which restrict vitamin D
- OBSERVATION: 39 vitamin D and Alz. or Cognition lntervention trials as of Sept 2018
- OBSERVATION: 2 Meta-analysis in 2012 agreed that Alzheimer's Disease. associated with low vitamin D
- OBSERVATION: 50X increase in Alzheimer's while decrease in vitamin D
- OBSERVATION: Vitamin D reduces Alzheimer’s disease in 11 ways
- OBSERVATION: Alzheimer’s cognition improved by 4,000 IU of vitamin D
- OBSERVATION: Plaque removed in mice by equiv. of 14,000 IU daily
- FACT: Vitamin D is extremely low cost and has very very few side effects
- CONCLUSION: Everyone concerned about cognitive decline or Alzheimer's Disease should take vitamin D
- PREDICTION: By 2024 Omega-3 and high dose Vitamin D will be found to reverse Alzheimer's in humans
- As of 2018 that combination has worked well with
- Other studies concerning Omega-3 include
- All items in category Cognition and vitamin D
The aim of the study was to analyze the impact of treatment with vitamin D in the progression of Alzheimer's disease. We performed a retrospective study including patients with mild stage of Alzheimer's disease with more than four years of follow-up. The presence of cardiovascular risk factors, osteoporosis, treatment with memantine, acetylcholinesterase inhibitors drugs and vitamin D were analyzed as independent variables. Time of progression to moderate and severe Alzheimer's disease was analyzed as dependent variable. The analysis was done using multivariate linear regression model, Kaplan Meier analysis, Chi-square and T test. Two hundred and two patients met the inclusion criteria.
- 11% of the patients (n = 23) remained in the mild stage of the disease,
- 54% (n = 110) developed the moderate form in a mean time of 3 ± 1.4 years while
- 35% (n = 69) developed the severe form in a mean time of 4.6 ± 1.4 years.
Time of progression to severe stage of Alzheimer's disease was slower in patients under treatment with vitamin D compared with those without treatment (5.4 ± 0.4 years vs. 4.4 ± 0.16 years respectively, p=0.003). Treatment with vitamin D may be an independent protecting factor in the progression of Alzheimer's disease.
PMID: 25153973Severe Alzheimer's delayed by 1 year with vitamin D intervention – March 2014
3013 visitors, last modified 05 Mar, 2017,