"WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW"
- Many older adults suffer from depressive symptoms and major depression.
- It is now recognized that chronic inflammation is an important contributor to depression risk.
- Omega-3 fats are well-known for their powerful anti-inflammatory properties.
- A new study demonstrates close links between low omega-3 blood levels and risk for depressive symptoms, helping to further strengthen the inflammation-depression link.
- Earlier studies have already shown that the administration of omega-3 in conjunction with antidepressant treatment is superior to antidepressant treatment alone.
- Omega-3 supplementation should be a major part of any serious age-decelerating regimen, because of the widespread benefits of its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Overview: Omega-3 many benefits include helping vitamin D
- Omega-3 is vital for health, mail-in test is low cost and accurate
Omega-3 and Depression (items in both categories)
- Overweight needed more EPA (4 grams) to fight depression – RCT Aug 2022
- Anxiety, depression, and suicide have recently surged (Note: Vitamin D, Omega-3, and Magnesium help) – May 2022
- Omega-3 did not prevent depression (they failed to reduce Omega-6, which blocks Omega-3) – RCT Dec 2021
- Mental health not helped by vitamin D monotherapy (adding Omega-3 and Magnesium help) – review Nov 2021
- Benefits of Omega-3 plus Vitamin D were additive – RCT Sept 2021
- Depression treatments: diet, exercise, bright light, Vitamin D, B12, Omega-3, Zinc, Music, etc. – May 2019
- Omega-3 helps treat Major Depression – International Consensus Sept 2019
- Mental disorders fought by Omega-3 etc. - meta-meta-analysis Oct 2019
- Omega-3 reduces Depression. Anxiety, Stress, PTSD, etc. – Aug 2018
- Depression treated by Omega-3 (again) – meta-analysis Aug 2019
- Depression after childbirth 5 X less likely if good Omega-3 index – April 2019
- Occupational burnout reduced after 8 weeks of Omega-3 – RCT July 2019
- Anxiety severity reduced if more than 2 grams of Omega-3 – meta-analysis Sept 2018
- Psychotic disorders not treated by Omega-3 when patents take anti-depressants and get therapy – June 2018
- Happy Nurses Project gave Omega-3 for 3 months – reduced depression, insomnia, anxiety, etc for a year – RCT July 2018
- Depression – is it reduced by Vitamin D and or Omega-3 – RCT 2019
- Benefits of Omega-3 beyond heart health - LEF Feb 2018
- Omega-3 improves gut bacteria, reduces inflammation and depression – Dec 2017
- Unipolar depression treated by Omega-3, Zinc, and probably Vitamin D – meta-analysis Oct 2017
- Omega-3 reduces many psychiatric disorders – 2 reviews 2016
- Omega-3 does not consistently treat depression if use small amounts for short time period – review Oct 2016
- How Omega-3 Fights Depression – LEF July 2016
- Depression due to inflammation reduced by Omega-3 (children and pregnant) – Nov 2015
- Depression treated somewhat by Omega-3 (St. John's Wort better) – RAND org reviews 2015
- Depression substantially decreased with Omega-3 – Sept 2015
- Omega-3 for just 3 months greatly reduced psychosis for 80 months – RCT Aug 2015
- Omega-3 prevents PTSD and some mood disorders - Aug 2015
- Omega-3, Vitamin D, and other nutrients decrease mental health problems – March 2015
- Serotonin regulated by Vitamin D – part 1 autism – Feb 2014
Horikawa C, Otsuka R, Kato Y, et al. Cross-sectional association between serum concentrations of n-3 long-chain PUFA and depressive symptoms: results in Japanese community dwellers. Br J Nutr. 2016;115(4):672-80.
Su KP, Lai HC, Yang HT, et al. Omega-3 fatty acids in the prevention of interferon-alpha-induced depression: results from a randomized, controlled trial. Biol Psychiatry. 2014;76(7):559-66.
Grosso G, Pajak A, Marventano S, et al. Role of omega-3 fatty acids in the treatment of depressive disorders: A comprehensive meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. PLoS ONE. 2014;9(5):e96905.
Grosso G, Galvano F, Marventano S, et al. Omega-3 fatty acids and depression: scientific evidence and biological mechanisms. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2014;2014:313570.
Zulyniak MA, Roke K, Gerling C, et al. Fish oil regulates blood fatty acid composition and oxylipin levels in healthy humans: A comparison of young and older men. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2016;60(3):631-41.
Gertsik L, Poland RE, Bresee C, et al. Omega-3 fatty acid augmentation of citalopram treatment for patients with major depressive disorder. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2012;32(1):61-4.
Kimmel PL, Peterson RA. Depression in patients with end-stage renal disease treated with dialysis: has the time to treat arrived? Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2006 May;1(3):349-52.
Gharekhani A, Khatami MR, Dashti-Khavidaki S, et al. The effect of omega-3 fatty acids on depressive symptoms and inflammatory markers in maintenance hemodialysis patients: a randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2014;70(6):655-65.
Dashti-Khavidaki S, Gharekhani A, Khatami MR, et al. Effects of omega-3 fatty acids on depression and quality of life in maintenance hemodialysis patients. Am J Ther. 2014;21(4):275-87.