Cannot recall a single other study that found 400 IU for an adult could be even detected
Menashe N. Mukamel MD1,2, Yosef Weisman MD1,2, Raz Somech MD2, Zipora Eisenberg MSc1, Jacob Landman MD4, Itzhak Shapira MD1, Zvi Spirer MD2,3 and Uri Jurgenson MD2
'Bone Disease Unit and department of Pediatrics, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, and 3Leon Alkalay Chair in Pediatric Immunology, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, and department of Pediatrics, Ma’anei Hayeshua Hospital, Bnei Brak, Israel
<100 IU of Vitamin D: 33% had <10 ng just after birth
400 IU of Vitamin D: 13% had <10 ng
Chart of data by Dr. Grimes in 2021
Background: The modest clothing that Orthodox Jewish women wear exposes very little of their skin to sunlight. Under these conditions they may develop vitamin D deficiency, even in sunny Israel.
Objectives: To determine and compare the vitamin D nutritional status in Jewish orthodox mothers to that of nonorthodox mothers who live in the same metropolitan area in Israel.
Methods: 25-Hydroxyvitamin D was measured by competitive protein-binding radioassay in the sera of 341 Jewish Israeli mothers (156 orthodox and 185 non-orthodox). The sera were obtained 48-72 hours after childbirth during the late summer of 1998 and the spring of 1999.
Results: The mean (SD) serum concentration of 25-OHD was significantly (P< 0.002) lower (13.5 + 7.5 ng/ml) in the orthodox than in the non-orthodox mothers (18.6 + 9.6 ng/ml). Vitamin D deficiency (< 5 ng/ml) and insufficiency (< 10 ng/ml) were more common in the orthodox mothers (5.1% and 32.7% respectively) than in the non-orthodox mothers (2.7% and 13%, respectively). In subgroups of mothers supplemented with 400 units of vitamin D daily during pregnancy, vitamin D deficiency and insufficiency were less common (2.2% and 13%, respectively) in orthodox and non-orthodox mothers (0% and 8.1%, respectively). Vitamin D insufficiency was more common in the winter than in the summer only among nonorthodox mothers.
Conclusions: The high prevalence of vitamin D deficiency and insufficiency in Israeli mothers raises the question whether vitamin D supplements should be given to pregnant women in Israel, at least to orthodox mothers.
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
VitaminDWiki - Pregnancy category starts with
- see also
- Overview Pregnancy and vitamin D
- Number of articles in both categories of Pregnancy and:Dark Skin
25 ; Depression 20 ; Diabetes 40 ; Obesity 14 ; Hypertension 38 ; Breathing 30 ; Omega-3 36 ; Vitamin D Receptor 21 Click here for details
- All items in category Infant/Child
- Pregnancy needs at least 40 ng of vitamin D, achieved by at least 4,000 IU – Hollis Aug 2017
- 34 papers with Breastfeeding of Breastfed in title as of Jan 2022
- Preeclampsia in VitaminDWiki title (47 as of July 2021)
- PRETERM or PREEMIE: contained by 100 titles as of Feb 2022
- "polycystic ovary syndrome" OR PCOS 303 items as of Jan 2018
- Gestational Diabetes
- c-section OR "caesarean section" (various spellings) 937 items as of Aug 2020
- postpartum depression 208 items as of Aug 2018
- 29 VitaminDWiki pages had MISCARRIAGE in title as of Dec 2021
- Search VitaminDWiki for "Assisted reproduction" 33 items as of Feb 2017
- Fertility and Sperm category listing has
121 items along with related searches
- (Stunting OR “low birth weight” OR LBW) 1180 items as of June 2020
- Less labor pain if higher level of vitamin D – August 2021
- Healthy pregnancies need lots of vitamin D
- Ensure a healthy pregnancy and baby - take Vitamin D before conception
VitaminDWiki - Healthy pregnancies need lots of vitamin D hasProblem
Reduces Evidence 0. Chance of not conceiving 3.4 times Observe 1. Miscarriage 2.5 times Observe 2. Pre-eclampsia 3.6 times RCT 3. Gestational Diabetes 3 times RCT 4. Good 2nd trimester sleep quality 3.5 times Observe 5. Premature birth 2 times RCT 6. C-section - unplanned 1.6 times Observe Stillbirth - OMEGA-3 4 times RCT - Omega-3 7. Depression AFTER pregnancy 1.4 times RCT 8. Small for Gestational Age 1.6 times meta-analysis 9. Infant height, weight, head size
within normal limits
RCT 10. Childhood Wheezing 1.3 times RCT 11. Additional child is Autistic 4 times Intervention 12.Young adult Multiple Sclerosis 1.9 times Observe 13. Preeclampsia in young adult 3.5 times RCT 14. Good motor skills @ age 3 1.4 times Observe 15. Childhood Mite allergy 5 times RCT 16. Childhood Respiratory Tract visits 2.5 times RCT
RCT = Randomized Controlled Trial400 IU of vitamin D helped a few adults (Orthodox Jewish mothers - heavy clothing) – 2001
434 visitors, last modified 11 Dec, 2021,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)
- All items in category Infant/Child