Reduction in preterm births during the COVID-19 lockdown in Ireland: a natural experiment allowing analysis of data from the prior two decades - June 5
"VLBW rate per 1000 live births for January to April, 2001-2019 was 8.18 (95% CI: 7.21, 9.29).
During January to April 2020, an unusually low VLBW rate of just 2.17 per 1000 live births was observed.
The rate ratio of 3.77 (95% CI: 1.21, 11.75), p = 0.022"
From Michael Cawley, Ireland Personalized Vitamin D3 For MS with Michael Cawley Facebook group
"According to the owner of Sona nutritional supplier in Ireland,
he sold a typical 6 months of D3 supplements every 7 days since March 2020.
The Government have not recommended Vitamin D3 supplementation (even in hospitals and care homes)
but everyone is ignoring their advice and taking it anyway."
Suspect that other places around the world will also find
COVID-19 ==> want to improve immune system
==>take more vitamin D ==> improved pregnancies, asthma, etc..
Imagine how much better the pregnancies would have been if the women had been taking the VItamin D for 8, 9, or 10 months
Afew relevant studies in VitaminDWiki
- Low birth weight associated low Vitamin D (little sunshine in China in this case) - Dec 2019
- Low birth weight far more likely if African-American (low vitamin D) – 1997, Aug 2018
- Vitamin D intervention reduces preterm births and low birth weight by 60 percent – Cochrane Reviews – Nov 2017
- 7X more likely to have low birth weight babies when mother very low on vitamin D – March 2010
- Low birth weight 3X more likely if mother had less than 25 nanograms of vitamin D – May 2012
- Overview Pregnancy and vitamin D has the following
Pregnancy category starts with
- see also
- Overview Pregnancy and vitamin D
- Number of articles in both categories of Pregnancy and:
25 ; Depression 19 ; Diabetes 40 ; Obesity 13 ; Hypertension 36 ; Breathing 30 ; Omega-3 33 ; Vitamin D Receptor 21
- All items in category Infant/Child
- 34 papers with Breastfeeding of Breastfed in title as of Jan 2022
- Preeclampsia in VitaminDWiki title (47 as of July 2021)
- Pre-term 368 items (not in PDF) as of Nov 2020
- "polycystic ovary syndrome" OR PCOS 303 items as of Jan 2018
- Gestational Diabetes
- c-section OR "caesarean section" (various spellings) 937 items as of Aug 2020
- postpartum depression 208 items as of Aug 2018
- 29 VitaminDWiki pages had MISCARRIAGE in title as of Dec 2021
- Search VitaminDWiki for "Assisted reproduction" 33 items as of Feb 2017
- Fertility and Sperm category listing has
118 items along with related searches
- (Stunting OR “low birth weight” OR LBW) 1180 items as of June 2020
- Less labor pain if higher level of vitamin D – August 2021
- Healthy pregnancies need lots of vitamin D
- Ensure a healthy pregnancy and baby - take Vitamin D before conception
Healthy pregnancies need lots of vitamin D has the following summaryProblem
Reduces Evidence 0. Chance of not conceiving 3.4 times Observe 1. Miscarriage 2.5 times Observe 2. Pre-eclampsia 3.6 times RCT 3. Gestational Diabetes 3 times RCT 4. Good 2nd trimester sleep quality 3.5 times Observe 5. Premature birth 2 times RCT 6. C-section - unplanned 1.6 times Observe Stillbirth - OMEGA-3 4 times RCT - Omega-3 7. Depression AFTER pregnancy 1.4 times RCT 8. Small for Gestational Age 1.6 times meta-analysis 9. Infant height, weight, head size
within normal limits
RCT 10. Childhood Wheezing 1.3 times RCT 11. Additional child is Autistic 4 times Intervention 12.Young adult Multiple Sclerosis 1.9 times Observe 13. Preeclampsia in young adult 3.5 times RCT 14. Good motor skills @ age 3 1.4 times Observe 15. Childhood Mite allergy 5 times RCT 16. Childhood Respiratory Tract visits 2.5 times RCT
RCT = Randomized Controlled Trial
- 2X to 10 X reduction in rate of preemies during COVID-19 in some countries NYT July 19
- No mention about any possible increased Vitamin D sales in Denmark, Ireland, Calgary,
- Did Lockdowns Lower Premature Births? A New Study Adds Evidence NY Times Oct 15
- https://www.ipopstudy.com/ a group of > 75 researchers trying to understand it.
- VitaminDWiki sent them a note (Oct 15) suggesting that they look at increased Vitamin D supplementation
There have actually been
1852 visitors to this page since it was originally made3.7X decrease in Very Low Weight Births (following huge increase in Vitamin D sales) - June 2020 579 visitors, last modified 14 Aug, 2021,
- All items in category Infant/Child