Fortified yogurt with vitamin D as a cost-effective food to prevent diabetes: A randomized double-blind clinical trial
Journal of Functional Foods, Vol 42, March 2018, Pages 137-145, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jff.2018.01.001
- Vitamin D home fortification- don't wait 100 years for your govt
- Improved health due to vitamin D fortification in Finland
- Yogurt fortified with K-2, Vitamin D, Mg, Omega-3, etc helped – Oct 2015
- Prediabetes reduced by monthly 60,000 IU of vitamin D – RCT May 2015
- Fewer mice became prediabetic when given Vitamin D, even when on high fat, high sugar diet – March 2017
- Overview Diabetes and vitamin D
- prediabetes OR prediabetic 336 items as of Jan 2018
- Fortification with Vitamin D category listing has
86 items along with related searches
- Anthropometric indices in the fortified-yogurt and oral-supplement groups decreased significantly.
- Oral glucose tolerance tests (OGTT) decreased significantly in only the fortified-yogurt group.
- The mean fasting serum insulin and the insulin-resistance index in the fortified-yogurt and oral-supplement groups decreased significantly.
- These findings showed that vitamin D-fortified yogurt is the low-cost approach to decrease vitamin D deficiency in Iranian people.
Vitamin D has a role in both insulin secretion and insulin sensitivity, and thus could be important in the pathogenesis of diabetes. The aim of this study was to compare the effect of yogurt fortified with vitamin D and oral vitamin D supplement on glycemic and anthropometric indices in pre-diabetic individuals.
This study was conducted on 90 subjects with pre-diabetes in three groups:
- those given fortified yogurt with vitamin D,
- those given plain yogurt and
- those given oral vitamin D supplements.
The study variables were evaluated at the beginning and end of the intervention period.
Results from the participants’ oral glucose tolerance tests (OGTT) decreased significantly in only the fortified-yogurt group.
[Note: The PDF did not show the difference to be statistically significant]
The mean fasting serum insulin and the insulin-resistance index (HOMA-IR) in the fortified-yogurt (p < .01) and oral-supplement (p < .03, p < .04) groups decreased significantly. Waist-to-hip ratio (WHR) and percentage of body fat (PBF) decreased significantly in the fortified-yogurt (p < .02, p < .006) and oral-supplement (p = .015, p < .001) groups. These findings show that yogurt fortified with vitamin D improves glycemic and anthropometric indices in pre-diabetic individuals.
- “To ensure that the subjects would consume the yogurt, they were given 10 packs for self-consumption and 10 packs for other family members to consume”
- “To fortify the yogurt with vitamin D we used vitamin D powder (dry vitamin D3 100 SD/S, containing 100,000 IU vitamin D3 per gram, suitable for fortification of water-based foods, product code: 5010950.304; DSM Nutritional Products Ltd., Basel, Switzerland”
Note: This is similar form to the Vitamin D by Bio-Tech Pharmacal
303 visitors, last modified 29 Jan, 2018, URL: