J Diabetes. 2017 Oct 26. doi: 10.1111/1753-0407.12621. [Epub ahead of print]
Ranasinghe P1, Wathurapatha WS1, Galappatthy P1, Katulanda P2, Jayawardena R3,4, Constantine GR2.
1 Dept of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
2 Dept of Clinical Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
3 Dept of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
4 Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Queensland Univ. of Technology, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
They also have a good backgrounder on Zinc and Health which includes
- "Zinc has two standard dosages. The low dosage is 5-10mg, while the high dosage is 25-45mg. The low dose works well as a daily preventative, while the high dosage should be taken by anyone at risk for a zinc deficiency."
- "Different forms of zinc contain different amounts of elemental zinc, which refers to the weight of the zinc molecule by itself"
- "Zinc should be supplemented daily."
- Consistant proof of benefits to diabetes, depression, acne, testosterone, viral warts (topical) , cognition after stroke, common cold
Note: The founder of VitaminDWiki subscribes to only 5 publications. Examine.com is one of them
- Prediabetes reduced by monthly 60,000 IU of vitamin D – RCT May 2015
- Prediabetics 60 percent less likely to become diabetic if given some vitamin D – Jan 2014
Similar to the benefit of Zinc.
Wonder the benefit if a a person took both Vitamin D and Zinc (Founder of VitaminDWiki teks both)
- Prediabetes corrected in 3 months by 1,000 IU of vitamin D as pill or in yogurt – RCT Jan 2018
- Prediabetes both prevented and treated by monthly Vitamin D, etc.
Overview Diabetes and vitamin D contains the following summary
- Diabetes is 5X more frequent far from the equator
- Children getting 2,000 IU of vitamin D are 8X less likely to get Type 1 diabetes
- Obese people get less sun / Vitamin D - and also vitamin D gets lost in fat
- Sedentary people get less sun / Vitamin D
- Worldwide Diabetes increase has been concurrent with vitamin D decrease and air conditioning
- Elderly get 4X less vitamin D from the same amount of sun
Elderly also spend less time outdoors and have more clothes on
- All items in category Diabetes and Vitamin D
517 items: both Type 1 and Type 2
Vitamin D appears to both prevent and treat diabetes
- Appears that >2,000 IU will Prevent
- Appears that >4,000 IU will Treat , but not cure
- Appears that Calcium and Magnesium are needed for both Prevention and Treatment
- which are just some of the vitamin D cofactors
Number of articles in both categories of Diabetes and:
'This list is automatically updated''
- Dark Skin
24 ; Intervention 55 ; Meta-analysis 36 ; Obesity 32 ; Pregnancy 42 ; T1 (child) 38 ; Omega-3 11 ; Vitamin D Receptor 22 ; Genetics 12 ; Magnesium 26 Click here to see details
Some Diabetes studies
- Glycemic control of type 2 diabetes – only Vitamin D had high quality studies – meta-analysis Sept 2022
- Diabetic inflammation synergistically decreased by Vitamin D and exercise – RCT June 2022
- Incidence of Type-2 Diabetes increased 3X in 30 years (by the way, Vitamin D helps) – July 2022
- Vitamin d treats Type II Diabetes in many ways (14 article review) - Sept 2021
- Diabetes 30 percent more likely if poor Vitamin D Receptor – meta-analysis of 47 studies – July 2021
- Diabetes helped somewhat by weekly 50,000 IU of vitamin D (5 ways to improve) – RCT Aug 2021
- Diabetes prevented by 50,000 IU vitamin D monthly (Iran) – Jan 2022
- Most Diabetics getting 40,000 IU of vitamin D weekly did not get to 30 ng (needed gut-friendly form) - RCT June 2020
50 ng of Vitamin D fights Diabetes
- Saudi study defines normal Vitamin D level to be 50 to 70 ng (diabetes, etc.) - June 2020
- Diabetes 5X less likely if more than 50 ng of Vitamin D – April 2018
- T1 Diabetes 3X lower risk if high vitamin D (over 40 ng) – Meta-analysis Nov 2020
- Type 1 Diabetes is prevented and treated by Vitamin D – review of 16 studies – Sept 2019
- Type 1 Diabetes prevention with Vitamin D and Omega-3 – Symposium April 2019
- Prediabetes reduced by weekly 60,000 IU of Vitamin D – RCT Jan 2021
- Prediabetes 1.5 X more likely to go away if take Vitamin D – meta-analysis July 2020
26 studies in both categories Diabetes and Magnesium - see below
Diabetes category starts with the following
517 items In Diabetes category Autoimmune category listing has 188 items along with related searches
Zinc and Vitamin D category listing has
81 items and the following
Zinc half life in the body - hours or 4 months?
http://garthkroeker.blogspot.com/2009/07/zinc-eating-disorders.html 4 months
others indicate take Zinc several times per day to stop a cold
- Google Search 239,000 items Feb 2018
- Prediabetes Patients Improve Fasting Glucose with Zinc April 2016, 30 mg
- Pharmacokinetics of Zinc in Pre-Diabetes: A Pilot Study - By the same principal author as study on this page, Jan 2018, J Diabetes Metab Disord Control 2018, 5(1): 00131
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
This study evaluated the effects of zinc supplementation on glycemic control, other cardiometabolic and anthropometric parameters, and disease progression in prediabetes.
A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled Phase 2 clinical trial was conducted over a 12-month period in 200 subjects (43% male; mean [± SD] age 51.8 ± 7.3 years), randomly assigned (1: 1) to the treatment or control group. The treatment group received zinc (20 mg daily). Subjects were evaluated at baseline and at 1, 3, 6, and 12 months. The primary outcome was the change in glycemic control from baseline. Multiple regression analyses were performed, with change in outcome variables after intervention from baseline used as continuous dependent variables.
In both groups, mean serum zinc concentrations prior to the trial were below normal (15.29-21.41 μmol/L). During the 12-month follow-up, a significantly higher percentage of participants developed type 2 diabetes in the control compared with zinc-treated group (25.0% vs 11.0% respectively; P = 0.016).
- Fasting plasma glucose (FPG),
- 2-h glucose levels in the oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT),
- homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance (HOMA-IR),
- total cholesterol (TC), and
- low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C)
were significantly lower in the treated group, with significant improvement in β-cell function. In all four regression models, the best predictor of the dependent variables (i.e. change in FPG, 2-h glucose in the OGTT, HOMA-IR, and homeostatic model assessment of β-cell function) was zinc treatment.
Zinc supplementation reduced blood glucose and insulin resistance while improving β-cell function. Furthermore, supplementation reduced disease progression to diabetes and had beneficial effects on TC and LDL-C.
PMID: 29072815 DOI: 10.1111/1753-0407.12621Zinc cut in half the rate of prediabetes progressing to diabetes (20 mg) – RCT Oct 2017
5243 visitors, last modified 24 Feb, 2019,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)
ID Name Comment Uploaded Size Downloads 9424 Pharmacokinetics of Zinc in Pre-Diabetes - A Pilot Study.pdf PDF 2018 admin 28 Feb, 2018 09:23 450.13 Kb 564 9423 Examine Zinc Diabetes.jpg admin 28 Feb, 2018 02:15 56.04 Kb 1672 9422 ERD Zinc Diabetes.pdf PDF 2018 admin 28 Feb, 2018 02:07 615.96 Kb 868