And – treating with vitamin D would decrease their number of patients thus and their income
A cost effective complement to managing the vitamin D deficient and anemic dialysis patient in the bundled world.
Nephrol News Issues. 2012 Jul;26(8):22-4, 26.
Larkin J, Bea L, Sharma A.
Pacific Renal Research Institute, Caldwell, Idaho, USA.
Vitamin D deficiency is a common health complication in patients with chronic kidney disease and can be treated with an abundance of classical and advanced pharmaceutics. However, the impact of bundling in dialysis clinics limits the use of the most optimal therapeutics and desired efficacy targets in end-stage renal disease patients.
To address this issue, we investigated the benefits of adding a cost-effective antioxidant and vitamin D nutraceutical (MV-ONE, Nephrian Inc.) to patient regiments. This nutraceutical was used in an attempt to replete vitamin D levels and decrease inflammation that dialysis patients experience. Additionally, we investigated the potential of this therapy to reduce the need for erythropoietin-stimulating agents.
Results indicate MV-ONE caused:
- (1) increases in 25-OH vitamin D (p = 0.0058),
- (2) decreases in ESA dose (p = 0.0475), and
- (3) no change in C-reactive protein (p = 0.3290).
Overall, this suggests the addition of MV-ONE does benefit the vitamin D deficiency and anemia observed in ESRD patients.
- Hemodialysis and Vitamin D - many studies 38 studies as of Jan 2023
- Dialysis patients 23 percent more likely to live if had just 10 ng more Vitamin D – meta-analysis Feb 2018
- Dialysis patients who added Vitamin D were 41 percent less likely to get infection – Meta-analysis July 2018
- Hemodialysis patients (CKD) helped by weekly 50,000 IU of vitamin D – Jan 2017
- Adding Vitamin decreased kidney deaths by 4x – Dec 2010
It is amazing that such excellent results were buried in the paper. They were not in the title nor abstract.
This is the result of about 10 trials with about 5,000 kidney disease patients.
Note: some of the trials were terminated as they felt it morally wrong to not give vitamin D to all of the Kidney patients
- Overview Kidney and vitamin D which has the following chart
- Clinical Trials Kidney and Vitamin D INTERVENTION 183 trials as of Feb 2021