GMB Union has 620,000 members in the UK
Night shift workers should be provided with free Vitamin D by bosses to keep them healthy, GMB congress has said.
A motion passed by GMB’s Annual congress today (June 11, 2019) calls for supplements for ‘night workers who rarely get enough sunshine to produce it naturally’.
Whilst there's no intention to make this mandatory, or to force workers to take anything that they don't want to, a little prevention can make a huge difference, and in this case that has to be good news for everyone.
Dan Shears, GMB Health and Safety Director
The GMB should use all its influence to work with employers for the use of Vitamin ‘D’ supplements, and as it is a welfare issue, provide access to them in the workplace.
A recent medical study on almost 80,000 suggests vitamin D could cut the risk of dying from cancer.
- High Risk category listing has
43 items along with related searches
- Shift workers have low vitamin D, poorer sleep, and are more depressed – March 2019
- Shiftworkers and Indoor Workers have lower Vitamin D levels – review of 10 studies Sept 2018
- Night shift workers far more likely to have low vitamin D levels – May 2016
- 40 percent lower vitamin D level if work other shifts (Italy) – June 2015
- Allergies and low vitamin D strongly associated with night shift bakers– Sept 2014
- Perhaps shiftwork diseases are due to lack of vitamin D
Cost Savings of Vitamin D