VDR and GC gene polymorphisms modulate the risk of lumbar disc degeneration in Iran
Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery, Vol 165, Feb 2018, Pages 67–71 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clineuro.2017.12.024
Sohail Mashayekhia, Alia Saberia, b, , , , Zivar Salehic, a, Gelareh Biazard, Roghayeh Mehrdelb
A poor VDR increases the risk of 39 health problems as of Jan 2018
- VDR and GC polymorphism were genotyped for 180 patients with LDD and 230 controls by PCR-RFLP.
- VDR AA homozygous genotype is associated with the increased risk of LDD.
- The minor allele of GC rs7041 is associated with a decreased risk of LDD.
Lumbar disc degeneration (LDD) occurs commonly in humans. Vitamin D metabolic and signaling pathway plays a significant role in intervertebral disc degeneration. The aim of this study was to evaluate the influence of the genetic polymorphism in the two key genes of 1,25-(OH)2-D3 pathway, VDR (vitamin D receptor) and GC (group-specific component), in LDD development.
Patients and Methods
Two single-nucleotide polymorphisms, VDR rs2228570 (FokI) and GC rs7041, were genotyped in 180 patients with LDD and 230 healthy individuals. Genomic DNA was extracted from whole peripheral blood. VDR and GC genotyping was performed by polymerase chain reaction-restriction fragment length polymorphism (PCR-RFLP).
A significant difference in genotype distributions of rs2228570 in VDR and rs7041 in GC gene were observed between cases and controls (P = .01 and. 005, respectively). The VDR AA homozygous genotype was seen in 30(16.7%) patients with LDD and 20(8.7%) controls (codominant model: OR = 2.48; 95% CI 1.30–4.73, P = .005) with an estimated approximately 2.5-fold risk of developing LDD in individuals with this genotype. Moreover, higher grades of disc degeneration were more related to VDR A allele. The minor allele of GC rs7041 was associated with a decreased risk of LDD (OR = 0.69; 95% CI 0.44–0.82, P = .001).
In conclusion, our results suggest for the first time that the genetic variants of VDR and GC genes contribute to genetic predisposition to LDD in Iran. These findings need further validation in the large multicenter case-control studies.
Association of rs2228570 Polymorphism of Vitamin D Receptor Gene with Lumbar Degenerative Disc Disease
Selçuk Özdoğan1, Cumhur Kaan Yaltırık2, Seda Güleç Yılmaz3, Ayhan Koçak1, Turgay İsbir3
1Istanbul Training and Research Hospital, Neurosurgery, Istanbul,
2Yeditepe University School of Medicine, Neurosurgery, Istanbul,
3Yeditepe University School of Medicine, Molecular Medicine, Istanbul,
Data was in PDF, not abstract
- Increased risk of Osteoporosis if poor Vitamin D Receptor (UK males this time) – Sept 2019
- Osteoporosis 3X higher risk of in white men having a poor Vitamin D receptor – Aug 2019
- Osteoporosis is associated with genes such as the Vitamin D Receptor – July 2019
- Osteoporosis 15 percent more likely if poor Vitamin D receptor – meta-analysis Dec 2018
- Disc Degeneration in women is 1.7X more likely if poor Vitamin D Receptor – meta-analysis Jan 2017
- Degeneration of lumbar disc 2.5 X more likely if poor Vitamin D receptor (not detected by test) Feb 2018
- Osteoporosis is associated with more than vitamin D genes – Jan 2016
- 2.8X higher risk of osteoporosis if COPD and modified vitamin D receptor genes – Sept 2015
- Osteoporosis 2.8 X more likely if Vitamin D receptor (VDR) genes altered – Aug 2013
- Vitamin D Receptor genes bb and BB and Osteoporosis, esp. for blacks – meta-analysis Nov 2012