The effect of low vitamin D status on sexual functioning and depressive symptoms in apparently healthy men: a pilot study
Robert Krysiak 1, Anna Szwajkosz 2 & Bogusław Okopień 1
International J. of Impotence Research (2018) DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41443-018-0041-7
1) Department of Internal Medicine and Clinical Pharmacology, Medical University of Silesia, Katowice, Poland
2) Oncology Ward, Beskid Oncology Centre—John Paul II Municipal Hospital in Bielsko-Biała, Bielsko-Biała, Poland
|Vitamin D||14 ng||24 ng||40 ng|
|Depressive symptoms||27 %||12 %||6%|
All differences were statistically significant
Fertility and Sperm category contains the following summary
Overview Women and Vitamin D
Overview Pregnancy and vitamin D Fertility and Vitamin D – several articles
Ensure a healthy pregnancy and baby - take Vitamin D before conception
IVF OR "IN VITRO FERTILIZATION" in 11 VitaminDWiki titles as of Jan 2022
Search VitaminDWiki for "Assisted reproduction" 177 items as of Sept 2019
Search VitaminDWiki for "polycystic ovary syndrome" OR PCOS" Sept 2019
Search VitaminDWiki fore Testosterone 77 items just in webpages as of Sept 2020
Search VitaminDWiki for "erectile dysfunction" 120 items as of July 2018
Conception and vitamin D snapshot as of 2012
- In Vitro Fertilization clinical trial using 50,000 IU of Vitamin D bi-weekly – Dec 2024
- Sperm not improved enough by Vitamin D - 50,000 IU weekly for 8 weeks - RCT Aug 2020
- Women had better sexual desire, orgasm and satisfaction after Vitamin D supplementation – Feb 2018
- Testosterone and erectile function increased after vitamin D supplementation – Jan 2018
- Birth rates doubled with Vitamin D - 300,000 for infertile men – RCT Nov 2017
- Increased Testosterone and Erectile function, decreased weight with Vitamin D – March 2017
- Assisted Reproduction – 5 studies concluded vitamin D repletion helps – Review March 2015
- Infertility - 71 percent of the time of BOTH partners had less than 20 ng of Vitamin D – Aug 2017
- Global sperm count dropped by 59 percent in 40 years – meta-analysis Aug 2017
- Testosterone 14% higher in those with high vitamin D – Aug 2016
- Women with more than minimum vitamin D were 3.4 X more likely to achieve pregnancy and 1.6 X more likely to have live births – June 2017
- Male fertility 4 X higher if high Vitamin D – Nov 2015
- Erectile Dysfunction and vitamin D - many studies
- Feel sexier with vitamin D and-or sunshine
- Hypothesis: increased vitamin D will increase erections and decrease CVD – June 2012 Dr. Grant
- Embrace the Sun – benefits of the sun throughout the day and year – book June 2018 Dr. Grant
" erectile dysfunction" occurs 18 times in the book
PDF is available free at Sci-Hub 10.1038/s41443-018-0041-7
Hypovitaminosis D is associated with sexual dysfunction in apparently healthy women and with erectile dysfunction in men with the presence of concomitant disorders. This study was aimed at investigating sexual functioning and depressive symptoms in young men with low vitamin D status. The study included 15 apparently healthy men (18–40 years old) with vitamin D deficiency (group A), 16 subjects with vitamin D insufficiency (group B ), and 16 men with normal vitamin D status (group C). All participants of the study completed questionnaires investigating their sexual function (the International Index of Sexual Function-15—IIEF-15 for heterosexual men), as well as the presence and severity of depressive symptoms (Beck Depression Inventory-Second Edition—BDI-II). Compared with healthy men, subjects with vitamin D deficiency obtained lower scores for erectile function, orgasmic function, and sexual desire, while individuals with vitamin D insufficiency lower scores only for erectile function. Erectile dysfunction was more prominent in group A than group B. The total BDI-II score was higher in group A than in the other study groups. The results of the study suggest that low vitamin D status impairs male sexual functioning and severity of sexual dysfunction correlates with the degree of hypovitaminosis D.
- 1.Zittermann A, Prokop S. The role of vitamin D for cardiovascular disease and overall mortality. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2014;810:106–19.
- 2. Lai YH, Fang TC. The pleiotropic effect of vitamin D. ISRN Nephrol. 2013;2013:898125.
- 3. Ingraham BA, Bragdon B, Nohe A. Molecular basis of the potential of vitamin D to prevent cancer. Curr Med Res Opin. 2008;24:139–49.
- 4. Teegarden D, Donkin SS. Vitamin D: emerging new roles in insulin sensitivity. Nutr Res Rev. 2009;22:82–92.
- 5. Guillot X, Semerano L, Saidenberg-Kermanach N, Falgarone G, Boissier MC. Vitamin D and inflammation. Joint Bone Spine. 2010;77:552–7.
- 6. Haussler MR. Vitamin D receptors: nature and function. Annu Rev Nutr. 1986;6:527–62.
- 7. Holick MF. Vitamin D deficiency. N Engl J Med. 2007;357:266–81.
- 8. Pilz S, Grübler M, Gaksch M, Schwetz V, Trummer C, Hartaigh BÓ, et al. Vitamin D and mortality. Anticancer Res. 2016;36:1379–87.
- 9. Wranicz J, Szostak-Węgierek D. Health outcomes of vitamin D. Part II. Role in prevention of diseases. Rocz Panstw Zakl Hig. 2014;65:273–9.
- 10. Pilz S, Verheyen N, Grübler MR, Tomaschitz A, März W. Vitamin D and cardiovascular disease prevention. Nat Rev Cardiol. 2016;13:404–17.
- 11. Cutolo M, Pizzorni C, Sulli A. Vitamin D endocrine system involvement in autoimmune rheumatic diseases. Autoimmun Rev. 2011;11:84–87.
- 12. Caretta N, de Kreutzenberg SV, Valente U, Guarneri G, Ferlin A, Avogaro A, et al. Hypovitaminosis D is associated with erectile dysfunction in type 2 diabetes. Endocrine. 2016;53:831–8.
- 13. Barassi A, Pezzilli R, Colpi GM, Corsi Romanelli MM, Melzi d’Eril GV. Vitamin D and erectile dysfunction. J Sex Med. 2014;11:2792–2800.
- 14. Farag YM, Guallar E, Zhao D, Kalyani RR, Blaha MJ, Feldman D, et al. Vitamin D deficiency is independently associated with greater prevalence of erectile dysfunction: the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2001-4. Atherosclerosis. 2016;252:61–7.
- 15. Kidir V, Altuntas A, Inal S, Akpinar A, Orhan H, Sezer MT. Sexual dysfunction in dialysis patients: does vitamin D deficiency have a role? Int J Clin Exp Med. 2015;8:22491–6.
- 16. Grant WB. Vitamin D deficiency may explain the link between back pain and erectile dysfunction. Spine. 2013.
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
- 17. Canguven O, Talib RA, El Ansari W, Yassin DJ, Al Naimi A. Vitamin D treatment improves levels of sexual hormones, metabolic parameters and erectile function in middle-aged vitamin D deficient men. Aging Male. 2017;11:1–8.
- 18. Bellastella G, Maiorino MI, Olita L, Capuano A, Rafaniello C, Giugliano D, et al. Vitamin D deficiency in type 2 diabetic patients with hypogonadism. J Sex Med. 2014;11:536–42.
- 19. Krysiak R, Gilowska M, Okopień B. Sexual function and depressive symptoms in young women with low vitamin D status: a pilot study. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2016;204:108–12.
- 20. Krysiak R, Szkróbka W, Okopień B. The effect of l-thyroxine treatment on sexual function and depressive symptoms in men with autoimmune hypothyroidism. Pharmacol Rep. 2017;69:432–7.
- 21. Rosen RC, Cappelleri JC, Gendrano N 3rd. The International Index of Erectile Function (IIEF): a state-of-the-science review. Int J Impot Res. 2002;14:226–44.
- 22. Cappelleri JC, Rosen RC, Smith MD, Mishra A, Osterloh IH. Diagnostic evaluation of the erectile function domain of the International Index of Erectile Function. Urology. 1999;54:346–51.
- 23. Beck AT, Steer RA, Brown GK. BDI-II: beck depression inventory manual. 2nd edn. San Antonio: Psychological Corporation; 1996.
- 24. American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders—DSM-IV-TR. 4th edn. Washington: American Psychiatric Publishing; 1994.
- 25. Andrukhova O, Slavic S, Zeitz U, Riesen SC, Heppelmann MS, Ambrisko TD, et al. Vitamin D is a regulator of endothelial nitric oxide synthase and arterial stiffness in mice. Mol Endocrinol. 2014;28:53–64.
- 26. Molinari C, Uberti F, Grossini E, Vacca G, Carda S, Invernizzi M, Cisari C, et al. 1α,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol induces nitric oxide production in cultured endothelial cells. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2011;27:661–8.
- 27. Anic GM, Albanes D, Rohrmann S, Kanarek N, Nelson WG, Bradwin G, et al. Association between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and serum sex steroid hormones among men in NHANES. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2016;85:258–66.
- 28. Murdoch GH, Rosenfeld MG. Regulation of pituitary function and prolactin production in the GH4 cell line by vitamin D. J Biol Chem. 1981;256:4050–3.
- 29. Podlasek CA, Mulhall J, Davies K, Wingard CJ, Hannan JL, Bivalacqua TJ, et al. Translational perspective on the role of testosterone in sexual function and dysfunction. J Sex Med. 2016;13:1183–98.
- 30. Corona G, Isidori AM, Aversa A, Burnett AL, Maggi M. Endocrinologic control of men’s sexual desire and arousa/erection. J Sex Med. 2016;13:317–37.
- 31. Lv WS, Zhao WJ, Gong SL, Fang DD, Wang B, Fu ZJ, et al. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels and peripheral neuropathy in patients with type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Endocrinol Invest. 2015;38:513–8.
- 32. Jung CH, Jung SH, Kim KJ, Kim BY, Kim CG, Kang SK, et al. The relationship between vitamin D status and cardiac autonomic neuropathy in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diab Vasc Dis Res. 2015;12:342–51.
- 33. Adler UC, Marques AH, Calil HM. Inflammatory aspects of depression. Inflamm Allergy Drug Targets. 2008;7:19–23.
- 34. Lips P. Vitamin D physiology. Prog Biophys Mol Biol. 2006;92:4–8.
- 35. Rausch-Fan X, Leutmezer F, Willheim M, Spittler A, Bohle B, Ebner C, et al. Regulation of cytokine production in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells and allergen-specific Th cell clones by 1 alpha,25-dihydroxyvitamin D-3. Intern Arch Allergy Immunol. 2002;128:33–41.
- 36. Cass WA, Smith MP, Peters LE. Calcitriol protexts against the dopamine- and serotonin-depleting effects of neurotoxic dosese of methamphetamine. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2006;1074:261–71.
- 37. Gozdzik A, Barta JL, Weir A, Cole DE, Vieth R, Whiting SJ, et al. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations fluctuate seasonally in young adults of diverse ancestry living in Toronto. J Nutr. 2010;140:2213–20.
|5406 visitors, last modified 05 Jul, 2018,