The beginning of : Vitamin D, Sun, Skin Cancer probably late 2010
By Arizona Center for Advanced Medicine
1) Centuries ago, when Vikings and other European seafarers took to the high seas for years at a time, they pioneered new trade routes and they mostly died of skin cancer.
2)Native American Indians, living mostly outdoors, also mostly died of skin cancer.
You never heard that?
Right. Because it didn't happen.
Here are a few things that really did happen:
- In the 1980s, dermatologists began warning about the dangers of sunlight. Their advertisements were heavily funded by the cosmetics and sun screen industry.
- In the 1980s the current triple childhood epidemics of asthma, diabetes, and autism quietly began. Rates of cancer and other chronic illnesses began to escalate.
- In 1989, the American Medical Association's Council on Scientific Affairs warned about the dangers of sun-exposure, advising mothers and children to "stay out of the sun as much as possible."
- In 1999, the American Academy of Pediatrics warned mothers to always keep infants out of direct sunlight, use sun-protective clothes, sun block, and make sure children's activities in general minimize sunlight exposure.
- In 2000, it was documented that rickets – vitamin D deficiency – is making a comeback in American children who drink less milk and more juice and sodas
Today, we have escalating rates of cancer and chronic disease.
Many say hiding from the sun's rays, and living with the subsequent low levels of vitamin D, was one of the tickets to that train wreck.
CLICK HERE for the rest of the extensive vitamin D article.
A good overview as of late 2010.
Only a small portion of it has to do with Skin Cancer
Also note: the body has learned how to deal with small amounts of damage at a time.
A sun burn is not a small amount of damage.
You can get sun, radioactivity, poisons, etc, providing you do not get too much all at one time, and thus not allow the body to repair the minor damages.
- Australian dermatologists had lower vitamin D levels than elderly in hospitals – 2009
- More Cancer, less Solar Radiation - 1941
- Sunshine: Dangerous or Healthy – Schachter Center 2009
- Vitamin D protects DNA against UV skin damage – 5 studies
- Sunny side of the hill is the healthiest – 400BC
- Overview Suntans and melanoma contains the following graph