Vitamin B12-fortified toothpaste improves vitamin status in elderly people: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study.
Aging Clin Exp Res. 2019 Jan 24. doi: 10.1007/s40520-019-01125-6
Zant A1, Awwad HM1, Geisel J1, Keller M2,3, Obeid R4,5.
1 Department of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, Saarland University Hospital, Building 57, 66421, Homburg, Saar, Germany.
2 Fachhochschule des Mittelstands, University of Applied Sciences, 50674, Cologne, Germany.
3 Institute of Alternative and Sustainable Nutrition, 35444, Biebertal, Giessen, Germany.
4 Department of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, Saarland University Hospital, Building 57, 66421, Homburg, Saar, Germany. rima.obeid at uks.eu.
5 Aarhus Institute of Advanced Studies, Aarhus University, 8000, Aarhus C, Denmark. rima.obeid at uks.eu.
Vitamin D really helps my mouth a lot
- I have been brushing my teeth with a tooth powder to which I add Vitamin D powder
- powder consists of charcoal to whiten teeth and bentonite clay
- I use the same vitamin D augmented powder on brush while cleaning between the teeth
- I use a vitamin D mouthwash weekly (dissolve Vitamin D in water)
Just raising my vitamin D levels to 100 ng did not help my teeth/gums (6 years)
Finally, I found that in-mouth (topical) vitamin D helped – my gums and teeth are now the best of my entire life
I happen to have Vitamin B12 power - I will try adding it to my Vitamin D tooth powder
- Vitamin D: (The D Stands for Dentist) - July 2018 - has also written a book
- Great Teeth if 10X more fat-soluble vitamins (Vitamin D) - 1935
- Periodontitis probably related to low Vitamin D – review June 2018
- Periodontal diseases are treated by Vitamin D - how much is needed, and when – June 2018
- Vitamin D may provide the most peridontal benefits of all nutraceuticals – May 2018
- Topical vitamin D might be more bio-available than oral – Oct 2015
- Getting Vitamin D into your body topical is one of many ways
- Dental category listing has
71 items along with related searches
- Vitamin B12 category listing has
33 items along with related searches
- Interaction of drugs with Vitamin D, Magnesium, Vitamin B12, Selenium, etc – Dec 2018
- Dr. Coimbra discusses Vitamin D, Magnesium, Folic Acid, B12, Autism, Depression, etc – Sept 2018
- Autistics and Schizophrenics have 3X lower Vitamin B12 levels in the brain – Jan 2016
- ADHD associated with significantly less Vitamin B12 – Sept 2018
- Hypothesis – Vitamin B-12 deficiency is associated with Vitamin D deficiency
BACKGROUND: Elderly people are at risk for vitamin B12 deficiency.
AIMS: We studied the ability of vitamin B12-enriched toothpaste vs. placebo to increase vitamin B12 status in elderly subjects.
METHODS: We conducted a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled intervention in 103 elderly subjects. Serum concentrations of vitamin B12, holotranscobalamin (holoTC), methylmalonic acid (MMA), and plasma total homocysteine (tHcy) were measured at baseline and after 3 months.
92 subjects met the inclusion criteria, completed the 3 months study, and were included in the data analysis. After the intervention, concentrations of vitamin B12 were higher [mean (SD) = 368 (123) vs. 295 (123) pmol/L; p = 0.005] and holoTC tended to be higher [112 (48) vs. 91 (68) pmol/L; p = 0.088] in the vitamin B12 group compared with the placebo group. The changes of serum vitamin B12 [54 (74) vs. 3 (60) pmol/L, p < 0.001], holoTC [21 (34) vs. 2 (32) pmol/L, p = 0.007], and tHcy [- 0.9 (2.3) vs. 0.3 (1.9) µmol/L, p = 0.010] were significantly different between the intervention groups. Mean percentage increase of serum vitamin B12 (+ 23% corresponds to + 54 pmol/L) in the vitamin B12 toothpaste group suggests that the intervention had provided an additional daily intake of approximately + 7 µg oral B12. Common diseases and drugs did not predict the change of blood markers in the vitamin group. No side effects were observed.
CONCLUSIONS: The toothpaste enriched with 100 µg cyanocobalamin/g has increased vitamin B12 status and can thus be used for preventing vitamin B12 depletion in elderly people. The trial was registered at ClinicalTrials.gov: NCT02679833.
- Vitamin B12 category listing has