PLoS One. 2016 Jan 22;11(1):e0146797. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0146797. eCollection 2016.
Zhang Y1, Hodgson NW1,2, Trivedi MS1,3, Abdolmaleky HM4, Fournier M5, Cuenod M5, Do KQ5, Deth RC1,3.
- Vitamin B12 category listing has
49 items along with related searches
- Overview Autism and vitamin D
- Alzheimers-Cognition - Overview
Overview Schizophrenia and Vitamin D contains the following summary
Many reasons to think that schizophrenia is associated with low vitamin D
1) 97% of patients with schizophrenia are vitamin D deficient
2) Schizophrenia varies with latitude (UVB) by 10X (controversy)
3) Schizophrenia is more common in those with dark skin (when away from the equator)
4) Schizophrenia is associated with low natal vitamin D
5) Schizophrenia has been increasing around the world when vitamin D has been decreasing (controversy)
6) Schizophrenia is associated with low birth rate, which is associated with low vitamin D
7) Schizophrenia is associated with Autism which is associated with low vitamin D
8) Schizophrenia Bulletin Editorial (Jan 2014) speculated that Vitamin D could be a major player
9) Schizophrenia 2X more likely if low vitamin D - meta-analysis
10) Schizophrenia increased 40 % for Spring births after Danes stopped vitamin D fortification
11) Schizophrenia is associated with season of birth
12) Schizophrenia is associated with poor Vitamin D Receptor genes
13) Schizophrenia risk is decreased if give Vitamin D after birth
14) Schizophrenia symptoms reduced when Vitamin D levels are restored
- Cognitive decline 2X more likely if low Vitamin D or high Vitamin B12 – Feb 2019
- Autistics and Schizophrenics have 3X lower Vitamin B12 levels in the brain – Jan 2016
- Vitamin B12
- The End of Alzheimer's - if custom adjust Vitamin D, B-12, Iron, Omega-3, etc.
- Schizophrenia might be treated by folic acid, vitamin B12 and vitamin D – May 2014
Many studies indicate a crucial role for the vitamin B12 and folate-dependent enzyme methionine synthase (MS) in brain development and function, but vitamin B12 status in the brain across the lifespan has not been previously investigated. Vitamin B12 (cobalamin, Cbl) exists in multiple forms, including methylcobalamin (MeCbl) and adenosylcobalamin (AdoCbl), serving as cofactors for MS and methylmalonylCoA mutase, respectively. We measured levels of five Cbl species in postmortem human frontal cortex of 43 control subjects, from 19 weeks of fetal development through 80 years of age, and 12 autistic and 9 schizophrenic subjects.
Total Cbl was significantly lower in older control subjects (> 60 yrs of age), primarily reflecting a >10-fold age-dependent decline in the level of MeCbl. Levels of inactive cyanocobalamin (CNCbl) were remarkably higher in fetal brain samples.
In both autistic and schizophrenic subjects MeCbl and AdoCbl levels were more than 3-fold lower than age-matched controls. In autistic subjects lower MeCbl was associated with decreased MS activity and elevated levels of its substrate homocysteine (HCY). Low levels of the antioxidant glutathione (GSH) have been linked to both autism and schizophrenia, and both total Cbl and MeCbl levels were decreased in glutamate-cysteine ligase modulatory subunit knockout (GCLM-KO) mice, which exhibit low GSH levels.
Thus our findings reveal a previously unrecognized decrease in brain vitamin B12 status across the lifespan that may reflect an adaptation to increasing antioxidant demand, while accelerated deficits due to GSH deficiency may contribute to neurodevelopmental and neuropsychiatric disorders.Autistics and Schizophrenics have 3X lower Vitamin B12 levels in the brain – Jan 2016
3165 visitors, last modified 01 Oct, 2018,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)Autism 136 Cognitive 299 Vitamin B12 49
ID Name Comment Uploaded Size Downloads 10633 B12 age.jpg admin 01 Oct, 2018 01:34 24.84 Kb 427 10632 B12 Autism.jpg admin 01 Oct, 2018 01:33 16.43 Kb 363 10631 B12 Schizophrenia.jpg admin 01 Oct, 2018 01:33 17.84 Kb 408 10630 B12 in Aging, Autism and Schizophrenia.PDF admin 01 Oct, 2018 01:32 2.23 Mb 313