Nutrients. 2018 Aug 12;10(8). pii: E1076. doi: 10.3390/nu10081076.
Turner ME1, Adams MA2, Holden RM3,4.
- 1 Department of Biomedical and Molecular Science, Queen's University, Kingston, ON K7L 3V6, Canada. mandy.turner at queensu.ca.
- 2 Department of Biomedical and Molecular Science, Queen's University, Kingston, ON K7L 3V6, Canada. adams at queensu.ca.
- 3 Department of Biomedical and Molecular Science, Queen's University, Kingston, ON K7L 3V6, Canada. rachel.holden at kingstonhsc.ca.
- 4 Department of Medicine, Queen's University, Kingston, ON K7L 3V6, Canada. rachel.holden at kingstonhsc.ca.
- Chronic kidney disease associated with higher levels of vitamin K1 – July 2012
- Seems to claim the opposite of the study on this page
Kidney category starts withKidney category listing has
see also Overview Kidney and vitamin D
Search VitaminDWiki for dialysis OR haemodialysis 878 items not in PDF as of Aug 2020
Search VitaminDWiki for kidney transplant 798 items as of June 2019
"Chronic Kidney Disease" OR CKD 874 items as of Jan 2018
Kidney Intervention trials using Vitamin D:
- Kidney patients who happened to be getting high-dose Calcitriol were 9X less likely to die of COVID-19 - April 6, 2021
- Chronic Kidney Disease (stage 3) slowed by 30 ng of Vitamin D and Calcitriol – Dec 2019
- Diabetic nephropathy (Kidney) treated by 50,000 IU of vitamin D weekly – RCT Jan 2019
- Hemodialysis patients (CKD) helped by weekly 50,000 IU of vitamin D – Jan 2017
- Kidney disease helped by active or high dose Vitamin D - Feb 2014
- Peritoneal Dialysis nicely treated by active vitamin D – July 2013
- 7100 IU (50000 weekly) restored vitamin D levels for those with Chronic Kidney Disease – July 2012
- Chronic Kidney Disease reduced with 3600 IU vitamin D (50000 twice a month)– RCT Aug 2012
- Overview Kidney and vitamin D
Overview Kidney and vitamin D contains the following summary
- FACT: The Kidneys are not the primary way to activate vitamin D, the tissues are
- FACT: When the Kidney has problems, there is less active vitamin D (Calcitriol) for the body
- FACT: When the Kidney has problems, there is increased death due to many factors - many of which are associated with lack of Calcitriol
- FACT: There are many on-going intervention clinical trials trying to determine how much of what kind of vitamin D is needed to treat the problem
- FACT: One Randomized Controlled Trial has proven that Vitamin D treats CKD
- FACT: 38% of seniors have Chronic Kidney Disease and most are unaware of it CDC statistics 2020
- FACT: Taking extra Vitamin D, in various forms, does not cause health problems - even if poor kidney
- Suggestion: Increase vitamin D getting into body now - and increase co-factors so that the vitamin D can be better used
Sun, UV lamp, Vitamin D supplement - probably > 5,000 IU,
Calcitriol - which bypasses the need for the kidney to activate vitamin D
Problems with Calcitriol however: typically only lasts for a few hours, also, possible complications
Update: Pre-cursor of active vitamin D made from plants is better than calcitriol – Sept 2012
- Category Kidney and Vitamin D contains
The purpose of this review is to summarize the research to date on the impact of chronic kidney disease (CKD) on the vitamin K metabolome. Vitamin K-dependent proteins contribute to cardiovascular disease (CVD) prevention via the prevention of ectopic mineralization. Sub-clinical vitamin K deficiency is common in CKD patients, and evidence suggests that it may contribute to the CVD burden in this population. Research from animal models suggests that CKD alters tissue measures of the two predominant forms of vitamin K: KI and MK-4. The expression and/or activity of enzymes that regulate the recycling of vitamin K and the carboxylation of vitamin K-dependent proteins also appear to be altered in CKD. Evidence suggests that statins, a common pharmaceutical prescribed to CKD patients to prevent cardiovascular events, may impact the metabolism of vitamin K and therefore contribute to its relative inefficiency at preventing CVD in this population as kidney disease progresses. Human research on the tissue vitamin K metabolome in CKD patients is lacking.Kidney problems reduces Vitamin K. which causes cardiovascular problems – Aug 2018
1088 visitors, last modified 21 Aug, 2018,