The Vitamin K Metabolome in Chronic Kidney Disease.
Nutrients. 2018 Aug 12;10(8). pii: E1076. doi: 10.3390/nu10081076.
Turner ME1, Adams MA2, Holden RM3,4.
- 1 Department of Biomedical and Molecular Science, Queen's University, Kingston, ON K7L 3V6, Canada. mandy.turner at queensu.ca.
- 2 Department of Biomedical and Molecular Science, Queen's University, Kingston, ON K7L 3V6, Canada. adams at queensu.ca.
- 3 Department of Biomedical and Molecular Science, Queen's University, Kingston, ON K7L 3V6, Canada. rachel.holden at kingstonhsc.ca.
- 4 Department of Medicine, Queen's University, Kingston, ON K7L 3V6, Canada. rachel.holden at kingstonhsc.ca.
- Chronic kidney disease associated with higher levels of vitamin K1 – July 2012
- Seems to claim the opposite of the study on this page
Kidney category starts withKidney category listing has
see also Overview Kidney and vitamin D
Peritoneal dialysis in titles in VitaminDWiki (3 titles as of Oct 2021)
CKD or CHRONIC KIDNEY DISEASE in title of 65 pages as of Dec 2022
- Kidney Inflammation not reduced by 30 ng Vitamin D (many health problems need 50 ng) – Nov 2022
- Chronic Kidney Disease decreases Vitamin D in 4 ways – Nov 2017
- Half as much chronic kidney disease infection if supplement with Vitamin D – 2018
- 2.4 times more likely to die if have Chronic Kidney Disease and low vitamin D - Sept 2016
- 4X more Chronic Kidney disease patients are now using vitamin D – March 2014
- Poor kidneys rarely get enough or the right form of vitamin D – Feb 2019
Overview Kidney and vitamin D contains the following summary
- FACT: The Kidneys are not the primary way to activate vitamin D; the tissues are
- FACT: When the Kidney has problems, there is less active vitamin D (Calcitriol) for the body
- FACT: When the Kidney has problems, there is increased death due to many factors - many of which are associated with lack of Calcitriol
- FACT: There are many ongoing intervention clinical trials trying to determine how much of what kind of vitamin D is needed to treat the problem
- FACT: One Randomized Controlled Trial has proven that Vitamin D treats CKD
- FACT: 38% of seniors have Chronic Kidney Disease and most are unaware of it CDC statistics 2020
- FACT: Taking extra Vitamin D, in various forms, does not cause health problems - even if poor kidney
- Suggestion: Increase vitamin D getting into body now - and increase co-factors so that the vitamin D can be better used
Sun, UV lamp, Vitamin D supplement - probably > 5,000 IU,
Nanoemulstion vitamin D (inside cheek, topically) gets activated Vitamin D to the cells without the need for healthy kidney, liver, or intestine
Calcitriol - which bypasses the need for the kidney to activate vitamin D
Problems with Calcitriol however: typically only lasts for a few hours, also, possible complications
Update: Pre-cursor of active vitamin D made from plants is better than calcitriol – Sept 2012
- Category Kidney and Vitamin D contains
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
The purpose of this review is to summarize the research to date on the impact of chronic kidney disease (CKD) on the vitamin K metabolome. Vitamin K-dependent proteins contribute to cardiovascular disease (CVD) prevention via the prevention of ectopic mineralization. Sub-clinical vitamin K deficiency is common in CKD patients, and evidence suggests that it may contribute to the CVD burden in this population. Research from animal models suggests that CKD alters tissue measures of the two predominant forms of vitamin K: KI and MK-4. The expression and/or activity of enzymes that regulate the recycling of vitamin K and the carboxylation of vitamin K-dependent proteins also appear to be altered in CKD. Evidence suggests that statins, a common pharmaceutical prescribed to CKD patients to prevent cardiovascular events, may impact the metabolism of vitamin K and therefore contribute to its relative inefficiency at preventing CVD in this population as kidney disease progresses. Human research on the tissue vitamin K metabolome in CKD patients is lacking.Kidney problems reduces Vitamin K. which causes cardiovascular problems – Aug 2018
2532 visitors, last modified 21 Aug, 2018,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)