- "The story goes back to the 1920s, and it takes place in a bakery in a country (Canada) where hundreds of thousands of children were suffering painful and debilitating effects of rickets."
- "McGroarty’s patent formula used a compound called ergosterol, which is a steroid alcohol found in fungi that converts to Vitamin D when irradiated with UV light."
- "He added it to yeast, irradiated it with quartz lamps, and used that yeast to make Vitamin D-enriched bread."
Note Vitamin D fortified Milk was started a few years later - not at Govt demand
- Fortification with Vitamin D category listing has
113 items along with related searches
Best thing since sliced bread (vitamin D bread was patented and baked in 1929)
- Marks and Spencer is first UK retailer to add Vitamin D to all of its breads – Dec 2019
- Vitamin D food fortification, Belgium considers 270 IU per kcal of milk or bread– June 2019
- Best thing since sliced bread (vitamin D bread was patented and baked in 1929)
- Vitamin D2 from bread yeast is 4 times less bioaccessible than D2 in milk – April 2016
- Vitamin D3 fortified bread better than supplement – RCT April 2016
- 5000 IU of vitamin D in daily bread resulted in 50 ng and improved quality of life– May 2014
- Cooking reduces vitamin D content by about 30 percent – Oct 2013
- Germany does not fortify ANY food with vitamin D, is considering 1000 IU from bread – Nov 2013
- 5,000 IU of vitamin D (in bread) was great – should have continued forever – Oct 2013
- 5000 IU vitamin D3 added daily to bread raised blood levels to 50 ng – 2009
1295 visitors, last modified 21 Dec, 2019,