- Vitamin D was voted best acne treatment Feb 2011 http://www.acne.org
- Topical Vitamin D appears help acne (oil, cream, or paste made from capsules)
- Putting vitamin D on an affected area for a few days often clears up acne
- An acne clinical trial with Vitamin D intervention is underway (More acne info below)
Learn how Vitamin D is essential for good health
Watch a 5 minute video "Does Less Sun Mean more Disease?"
Browse for other Health Problems and D in left column or here
see also Supplementing and More in the menu at the top of very page
If you have a disease associated with low Vit D take Vit D
Raising your Vit D levels will substantially prevent other low-Vit D health problems
Often your specific health problem will also be treated
- Google Search for Eczema OR "Atopic Dermatitis" in VitaminDWiki 2830 items as of June 2018
- Psorasis and vitamin D
- Skin and vitamin D
- Vitamin A and and vitamin D
49 items Vitamin A in many acne drugs appears to hamper the benefits of Vitamin D
- Acne - Accutane - vitamin A - vitamin D and suicide - Nov 2010
- Report of increased suicides in patients taking Accutane to reduce acne (128 of 5,700)
- Autoimmune category listing has
115 items along with related searches
- Atopic dermatitis treated by Vitamin D (in dogs too) - RCT Feb 2018
- Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis) treated by 1600 IU of vitamin D – meta-analysis Dec 2016
- Atopic Dermatitis risk is 55 percent higher if low vitamin D – Meta-analysis Oct 2015
- Staph infections with eczema reduced with 2,000 IU of vitamin D – RCT Oct 2015
- Atopic Eczema might be helped by Vitamin D – Review May 2015
- Off topic: Caesarean section increases risk of Eczema (Atopic dermatitis) by 1.8 X – Sept 2015
- Atopic Dermatitis (Eczema) in Mongolian children reduced with 1,000 IU of vitamin D – RCT Oct 2014
- Who said vitamin D could not be patented Acne patented - a good hint that it works
- Google Search for acne "vitamin d" 2,,200,000 as of Feb 2018
- "healthy skin" "vitamin d" >894,000 hits as of Jan 2015
- psoriasis "vitamin d 1,250,000 hits as of Feb 2018
- Way back in 1938 Acne was nicely treated by 8,000 to 14,000 IU daily
- 2016 Randomized Clinical Trial found that after 8 weeks of treatment, inflammatory lesions in the
vitamin D group decreased by 34.6% compared to
only 5.8% in the control group.
Acne.org Forum March 2018
"I've tried EVERYTHING including accutane (4 rounds, antibiotics (3 years), spironolactone (3 years), topical tretinoin (10 years, still using), useless lotions and potions.. you name it, i've tried it."
Serum Vitamin D levels and Vitamin D supplementation do not correlate with the severity of chronic eczema in children March 2015
Results"Vitamin D concentrations in patients with moderate and severe eczema were not statistically different from Vitamin D concentration detected in the serum of patients with mild eczema. Furthermore, we did not find any correlation between Vitamin D levels, total IgEs and SCORAD index, both in the Sensitized and in the Not-Sensitized group. The Vitamin D3 supplementation did not influence the SCORAD severity or the total IgEs concentration."
VitaminDWiki wonders why. Perhaps because they did not use topical vitamin D?
Associations of maternal and fetal 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels with childhood eczema. The Generation R Study.
Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2015 Dec 19. doi: 10.1111/pai.12530. [Epub ahead of print]
Gazibara T1,2,3,4, Elbert NJ1,5, den Dekker HT1,2,3, de Jongste JC2, Reiss I6, McGrath JJ7,8, Eyles DW7,8, Burne TH7,8, Tiemeier H3,9,10, Jaddoe VW1,3,11, Pasmans SG5, Duijts L2,3,6.
Exposure to low levels of vitamin D in fetal life might affect the developing immune system, and subsequently the risk of childhood eczema. We examined whether 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels in mid-gestation and at birth were associated with the risk of eczema until the age of 4 years.
In a population-based prospective cohort study of 3,019 mothers and their children, maternal blood samples in mid-gestation and umbilical cord blood samples at birth were used to determine 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels (severely deficient <25.0 nmol/L, deficient 25.0-49.9 nmol/L, sufficient 50.0-74.9 nmol/L, optimal ≥75.0 nmol/L). Eczema was prospectively assessed by annual questionnaires until the age of 4 years. Eczema patterns included never, early (age ≤1 year only), late (age >1 year only), and persistent eczema (age ≤ and >1 year). Data were assessed using generalized estimating equations and multinomial regression models.
Compared with the optimal 25-hydroxyvitamin D group, sufficient, deficient and severely deficient groups of 25-hydroxyvitamin D level in mid-gestation were not associated with the risk of overall eczema (odds ratios (95%confidence interval): 1.09 (0.82, 1.43), 1.04 (0.87, 1.25) and 0.94 (0.81, 1.10), p-values for trend >0.05), nor with eczema per year or eczema patterns in children up to the age of 4 years. Similarly, we observed no associations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D groups at birth with any eczema outcome.
Our results suggest that levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D in mid-gestation and at birth are not associated with the risk of overall eczema, eczema per year or eczema patterns among children until the age of 4 years
Acne Can Increase the Risk for Depression NYT Feb 2017
The word VITAMIN does not occur in the article
Risk of depression 63% higher in first year of acne
They have no clue as to why depression is associated with acne
British Journal of Dermatology- 10.1111/bjd.16099 behind a paywall
- Acne is the result of dead skin and excess oil clogging pores.
- Dermatitis is an inflammation of the skin caused by contact with allergens, irritants, or other triggers.
- Skin and vitamin D