Mechanisms in endocrinology: vitamin D as a potential contributor in endocrine health and disease.
Eur J Endocrinol. 2014 Sep;171(3):R101-10. doi: 10.1530/EJE-14-0158. Epub 2014 May 28.
Muscogiuri G1, Mitri J2, Mathieu C2, Badenhoop K2, Tamer G2, Orio F3, Mezza T2, Vieth R3, Colao A2, Pittas A2.
It has been suggested that vitamin D may play a role in the pathogenesis of several endocrine diseases, such as hyperparathyroidism, type 1 diabetes (T1DM), type 2 diabetes (T2DM), autoimmune thyroid diseases, Addison's disease and polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). In this review, we debate the role of vitamin D in the pathogenesis of endocrine diseases.
Narrative overview of the literature synthesizing the current evidence retrieved from searches of computerized databases, hand searches and authoritative texts.
Evidence from basic science supports a role for vitamin D in many endocrine conditions. In humans, inverse relationships have been reported not only between blood 25-hydroxyvitamin D and parathyroid hormone concentrations but also with risk of T1DM, T2DM, and PCOS. There is less evidence for an association with Addison's disease or autoimmune thyroid disease. Vitamin D supplementation may have a role for prevention of T2DM, but the available evidence is not consistent.
Although observational studies support a potential role of vitamin D in endocrine disease, high quality evidence from clinical trials does not exist to establish a place for vitamin D supplementation in optimizing endocrine health. Ongoing randomized controlled trials are expected to provide insights into the efficacy and safety of vitamin D in the management of endocrine disease.
© 2014 European Society of Endocrinology. PMID: 24872497
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki.
See also VtiaminDWiki
- Hyperparathyroidism – still not absolutely, positively sure that vitamin D should be used to treat it – March 2014
- Long term Hashimoto's Thyroiditis has lower level of vitamin D – Jan 2013
- 50,000 IU vitamin D weekly is safe and effective for Primary Hyperparathyroidism – Jan 2013
- Primary Hyperparathyroidism perfectly predicted with a Vitamin D-Based nomogram – Nov 2011
- Fertility problem (PCOS) reduced by vitamin D: many studies
- Women with PCOS 4 X more likely to develop T2 Diabetes (no surprise, both associated with low vitamin D) - Aug 2017
- Overview Thyroid and Vitamin D
- Overview Diabetes and vitamin D contains the following summary
- Diabetes is 5X more frequent far from the equator
- Children getting 2,000 IU of vitamin D are 8X less likely to get Type 1 diabetes
- Obese people get less sun / Vitamin D - and also vitamin D gets lost in fat
- Sedentary people get less sun / Vitamin D
- Worldwide Diabetes increase has been concurrent with vitamin D decrease and air conditioning
- Elderly get 4X less vitamin D from the same amount of sun
Elderly also spend less time outdoors and have more clothes on
- All items in category Diabetes and Vitamin D
517 items: both Type 1 and Type 2
Vitamin D appears to both prevent and treat diabetes
- Appears that >2,000 IU will Prevent
- Appears that >4,000 IU will Treat , but not cure
- Appears that Calcium and Magnesium are needed for both Prevention and Treatment
- which are just some of the vitamin D cofactors
Number of articles in both categories of Diabetes and:
'This list is automatically updated''
- Dark Skin
24 ; Intervention 55 ; Meta-analysis 36 ; Obesity 32 ; Pregnancy 42 ; T1 (child) 38 ; Omega-3 11 ; Vitamin D Receptor 22 ; Genetics 12 ; Magnesium 27 Click here to see details
Some Diabetes studies
- Glycemic control of type 2 diabetes – only Vitamin D had high quality studies – meta-analysis Sept 2022
- Diabetic inflammation synergistically decreased by Vitamin D and exercise – RCT June 2022
- Incidence of Type-2 Diabetes increased 3X in 30 years (by the way, Vitamin D helps) – July 2022
- Vitamin d treats Type II Diabetes in many ways (14 article review) - Sept 2021
- Diabetes 30 percent more likely if poor Vitamin D Receptor – meta-analysis of 47 studies – July 2021
- Diabetes helped somewhat by weekly 50,000 IU of vitamin D (5 ways to improve) – RCT Aug 2021
- Diabetes prevented by 50,000 IU vitamin D monthly (Iran) – Jan 2022
- Most Diabetics getting 40,000 IU of vitamin D weekly did not get to 30 ng (needed gut-friendly form) - RCT June 2020
50 ng of Vitamin D fights Diabetes
- Saudi study defines normal Vitamin D level to be 50 to 70 ng (diabetes, etc.) - June 2020
- Diabetes 5X less likely if more than 50 ng of Vitamin D – April 2018
- T1 Diabetes 3X lower risk if high vitamin D (over 40 ng) – Meta-analysis Nov 2020
- Type 1 Diabetes is prevented and treated by Vitamin D – review of 16 studies – Sept 2019
- Type 1 Diabetes prevention with Vitamin D and Omega-3 – Symposium April 2019
- Prediabetes reduced by weekly 60,000 IU of Vitamin D – RCT Jan 2021
- Prediabetes 1.5 X more likely to go away if take Vitamin D – meta-analysis July 2020
Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Magnesium - many studiesVitamin D helps with T2 Diabetes, hyperparathyroidism, PCOS, and some other endocinological diseases – Sept 2014
7701 visitors, last modified 07 Sep, 2017,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)
ID Name Comment Uploaded Size Downloads 4395 Endocrine Table 1.jpg admin 23 Sep, 2014 13:52 116.62 Kb 5380 4394 endocrine health and disease.pdf PDF 2014 admin 23 Sep, 2014 13:52 155.61 Kb 1417