Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 2014 Mar;43(1):205-32. doi: 10.1016/j.ecl.2013.09.010. Epub 2013 Dec 12.
Mitri J1, Pittas AG2.
1Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Prima CARE Medical Center, 277 Pleasant Street, Fall River, MA 02721, USA. Electronic address: joannamitri at hotmail.com.
2Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Tufts Medical Center, 800 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02111, USA.
There has been increasing evidence that vitamin D may have a role in modifying risk of diabetes. Vitamin D has both direct and indirect effects on various mechanisms related to the pathophysiology of type 2 diabetes, including pancreatic beta cell dysfunction, impaired insulin action and systemic inflammation. This article describes the biologic plausibility behind the potential association between vitamin D and type 2 diabetes and summarizes the current evidence from human studies that suggests but does not prove a relation between vitamin D and type 2 diabetes, and briefly reports on the potential association between vitamin D and type 1 diabetes.
Overview Diabetes and vitamin D contains the following summary
- Diabetes is 5X more frequent far from the equator
- Children getting 2,000 IU of vitamin D are 8X less likely to get Type 1 diabetes
- Obese people get less sun / Vitamin D - and also vitamin D gets lost in fat
- Sedentary people get less sun / Vitamin D
- Worldwide Diabetes increase has been concurrent with vitamin D decrease and air conditioning
- Elderly get 4X less vitamin D from the same amount of sun
Elderly also spend less time outdoors and have more clothes on
- All items in category Diabetes and Vitamin D
477 items: both Type 1 and Type 2
Vitamin D appears to both prevent and treat diabetes
- Appears that >2,000 IU will Prevent
- Appears that >4,000 IU will Treat , but not cure
- Appears that Calcium and Magnesium are needed for both Prevention and Treatment
- which are just some of the vitamin D cofactors
Number of articles in both categories of Diabetes and:
- Dark Skin
23 ; Intervention 51 ; Meta-analysis 34 ; Obesity 28 ; Pregnancy 40 ; T1 (child) 37 ; Omega-3 11 ; Vitamin D Receptor 21 ; Genetics 11 ; Magnesium 19 Click here to see detailsVitamin D and diabetes – review with many charts and tables – March 2014 3348 visitors, last modified 26 Sep, 2016,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)Diabetes 477
ID Name Comment Uploaded Size Downloads 6095 Insulin secretion.jpg admin 24 Oct, 2015 15:13 57.11 Kb 1495 6094 Diabetes risk.jpg admin 24 Oct, 2015 15:08 43.77 Kb 1110 6093 Insulin.jpg admin 24 Oct, 2015 15:08 20.34 Kb 1557 6092 Vitamin D and diabetes.pdf PDF 2014 admin 24 Oct, 2015 15:08 1.14 Mb 695