World J Hepatol. 2014 Dec 27;6(12):901-15. doi: 10.4254/wjh.v6.i12.901.
Iruzubieta P1, Terán Á1, Crespo J1, Fábrega E1.
1Paula Iruzubieta, Álvaro Terán, Javier Crespo, Emilio Fábrega, Gastroenterology and Hepatology Unit, Marqués de Valdecilla University Hospital, Instituto de Investigación Marqués de Valdecilla, 39008 Santander, Cantabria, Spain.
Vitamin D is an important secosteroid hormone with known effect on calcium homeostasis, but recently there is increasing recognition that vitamin D also is involved in cell proliferation and differentiation, has immunomodulatory and anti-inflammatory properties. Vitamin D deficiency has been frequently reported in many causes of chronic liver disease and has been associated with the development and evolution of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and chronic hepatitis C (CHC) virus infection. The role of vitamin D in the pathogenesis of NAFLD and CHC is not completely known, but it seems that the involvement of vitamin D in the activation and regulation of both innate and adaptive immune systems and its antiproliferative effect may explain its importance in these liver diseases. Published studies provide evidence for routine screening for hypovitaminosis D in patients with liver disease. Further prospectives studies demonstrating the impact of vitamin D replacement in NAFLD and CHC are required.
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki.
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease associated with low vitamin D – independent of BMI – June 2014
- Search for Fatty Liver in VitaminDWiki 606 items June 2019
- Overview Liver and vitamin D
Items in both categories Liver and Virus are listed here:
- Hepatitis B patients have 2 ng lower level of Vitamin D – meta-analysis June 2019
- Hepatitis B virus reduced by 5X the Vitamin D getting to liver cells in the lab – Oct 2018
- Hepatitis B virus and Vitamin D - many studies
- Hepatitis B virus might be treated by Vitamin D – April 2015
- Hepatitis C, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and vitamin D deficiency – Dec 2014
- Hepatitis B clinical event was 2X more likely if low vitamin D – Oct 2014
- Vitamin D prevents Hepatitis-C and helps treat it (many studies)
- Hepatitis C drug is extremely expensive, why not try Calcidiol (semi-processed vitamin D) - May 2014
- Vitamin D Deficiency May Help Spread of Hepatitis B Throughout Liver – May 2013