High prevalence of vitamin D deficiency among women of child-bearing age in Lahore Pakistan, associating with lack of sun exposure and illiteracy.
BMC Womens Health. 2015 Oct 12;15:83. doi: 10.1186/s12905-015-0242-x.
Junaid K1, Rehman A2, Jolliffe DA3, Wood K4, Martineau AR5.
1Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, University of the Punjab, Quaid-e-Azam Campus, Lahore, 5400, Pakistan. kashaf_junaid at hotmail.com.
2Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, University of the Punjab, Quaid-e-Azam Campus, Lahore, 5400, Pakistan. rehman_mmg at yahoo.com.
3Centre for Primary Care and Public Health, Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London, London, E1 2AB, UK. d.a.jolliffe at qmul.ac.uk.
4Genome Centre, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London, London, EC1M 6BQ, UK. kristie.wood at qmul.ac.uk.
5Centre for Primary Care and Public Health, Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London, London, E1 2AB, UK. a.martineau at qmul.ac.uk.
Vitamin D status is a key determinant of maternal and neonatal health. Deficiency has been reported to be common in Pakistani women, but information regarding environmental and genetic determinants of vitamin D status is lacking in this population.
We conducted a cross-sectional study among three groups of healthy women living in Lahore, Pakistan: university students, students or employees of Medrasas or Islamic Institutes, and employees working in office, hospital or domestic settings. Multivariate analysis was performed to identify environmental and genetic determinants of vitamin D status: polymorphisms in genes encoding the vitamin D receptor, vitamin D 25-hydroxylase enzyme CYP2R1 and vitamin D binding protein [DBP] were investigated. We also conducted analyses to identify determinants of body ache and bone pain in this population, and to determine the sensitivity and specificity of testing for hypocalcaemia and raised serum alkaline phosphatase to screen for vitamin D deficiency.
Of 215 participants, 156 (73 %) were vitamin D deficient (serum 25[OH]D <50 nmol/L). Risk of vitamin D deficiency was independently associated with illiteracy (adjusted OR 4.0, 95 % CI 1.03-15.52, P = 0.04), <30 min sun exposure per day (adjusted OR 2.13, 95 % CI 1.08-4.19, P= 0.02), sampling in January to March (adjusted OR 2.38, 95 % CI 1.20-4.70), P = 0.01) and lack of regular intake of multivitamins (adjusted OR 2.61, 95 % CI 1.32-5.16, p?=?0.005). Participants with the GG genotype of the rs4588 polymorphism in the gene encoding vitamin D binding protein tended to have lower 25(OH)D concentrations than those with GT/TT genotypes (95 % CI for difference 22.7 to -0.13 nmol/L, P = 0.053).
Vitamin D deficiency was independently associated with increased risk of body ache or bone pain (adjusted OR 4.43, 95 % CI 2.07 to 9.49, P?=?0.001). Hypocalcaemia (serum calcium concentration =9.5 mg/dL) and raised alkaline phosphatase concentration (=280 IU/L) had low sensitivity and very low specificity for identification of vitamin D deficiency.
Vitamin D deficiency is common among healthy women of child-bearing age in Lahore, Pakistan: illiteracy, decreased sun exposure and lack of multivitamin intake are risk factors.
From PDF: Of the 111 women reporting bone pain/body ache, 52 % had <10 nanogram
- Quick, free, self test of vitamin D deficiency pain in 2 of 3 bones
- Musculoskeletal pain reduced with 4,000 IU of vitamin D – RCT April 2015
- 400,000 IU of vitamin D reduced adult pain and improved quality of life – March 2014
- Chronic Widespread Pain associated with Vitamin D under 10 ng – meta-analysis Oct 2015
Pain - chronic VitaminDWiki category has the following
- Overview Pain and Vitamin D
- Percentage of people with pain increased 25 percent in 18 years – Jan 2019
- Pain not reduced by 60,000 IU monthly vitamin D (need 50,000 IU weekly) – RCT Aug 2023
- Overview Fibromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue and vitamin D
- Overview Rheumatoid Arthritis and vitamin D
- Shingles and vitamin D
- Shin splints decrease with vitamin D
- Migraine and Vitamin D
- Headache category
- "musculoskeletal pain" 490 items as of Aug 2023
- "chronic fatigue" 185 items as of Jan 2017
- Category Back Pain
- 7 pain studies in VitaminDWiki with KNEE in the title as of Aug 2023 (see below)
- Opioid OR Opiate OR Morphine in the title 10 pages as of June 2021Vitamin D deficiency 4X more likely if illiterate or have bone pain – Lahore Pakistan – Oct 2015
4590 visitors, last modified 19 Feb, 2021,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)