The Complexity of Omega-3 Fatty acids modulation of Signaling Pathways related to Pancreatic Cancer.
Curr Med Chem. 2017 Jun 16. doi: 10.2174/0929867324666170616111225
Torres C1, Diaz AM2, Principe DR3, Grippo PJ2.
- 1 Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology University of Illinois at Chicago Department of Medicine 840 South Wood Street, 738A CSB , IL 60612 Chicago . United States.
- 2 Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology University of Illinois at Chicago Department of Medicine 840 South Wood Street, 738A CSB , IL 60612 Chicago. United States.
- 3 College of Medicine, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL. United States.
Cancer is a major public health problem worldwide and is the second leading cause of death in the United States. Although cancer death rate has dropped by 23% since 1991, there are certain types of cancer for which death rates are still increasing such as, pancreatic cancer. There is an urgent need to find new therapies that could help improve this dreadful outcome. In this regard, the role of nutrition in health and disease has attracted much attention. Several dietary ingredients are involved in metabolic, physiological, and cellular signaling affecting tumor growth and progression. Although lipids, and more specifically polyunsaturated fatty acids, have been traditionally studied due to their health effects in cardiovascular disease, it is now clear that they can affect an extensive array of cellular processes that influence a wide range of diseases such as type II diabetes, inflammatory disorders and cancer.
These biological activities may be grouped as regulation of:
- (1) membrane structure and function,
- (2) intracellular signaling pathways,
- (3) transcription factor activity,
- (4) gene expression, and
- (5) production of bioactive lipid mediators.
The aim of this review is to assimilate the current state of knowledge about the potential mechanism(s) of action and signaling pathways modulated by polyunsaturated fatty acids in pancreatic cancer.
Publisher wants $95 for the PDF
PDF was not on SciHub April 2019
- Omega-3 prevents and treats several cancers – Sept 2017
- Severe acute pancreatitis treated in 11 ways by Omega-3 in just 7 days – RCT April 2018
- Omega-3 reduces side effects of Cancer treatments – April 2019
- Prostate Cancer PSA reduced by 60 ng of Vitamin D, Vitamin B complex, Omega-3, Curcumin and diet – June 2021