The Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, online 9 August 2016, doi:10.1016/j.jsbmb.2016.08.002
The Cytomegalovirus downregulates the Vitamin D Receptor by 8X in the lab
Human tissue compensates by increasing active Vitamin D production by 9.7 X
These changes have not been observed in other viruses.
See also VitaminDWiki
Vitamin D can inhibit enveloped virus such as Cytmo
Genetics category listing contains the following
379 articles in Vitamin D Receptor 140 articles in Vitamin D Binding Protein = GC 35 articles in CYP27B1
- Topical Vitamin D
- Nanoemulsion Vitamin D may be a substantially better form
- Getting Vitamin D into your body
Vitamin D blood test misses a lot
- Snapshot of the literature by VitaminDWiki as of early 2019
- Vitamin D from coming from tissues (vs blood) was speculated to be 50% in 2014, and by 2017 was speculated to be 90%
- Note: Good blood test results (> 40 ng) does not mean that a good amount of Vitamin D actually gets to cells
- A Vitamin D test in cells rather than blood was feasible (2017 personal communication)
- Commercially available 2019
- However test results would vary in each tissue due to multiple genes
- Good clues that Vitamin D is being restricted from getting to the cells
1) A vitamin D-related health problem runs in the family
- especially if it is one of 51+ diseases related to Vitamin D Receptor
2) Slightly increasing Vitamin D show benefits (even if conventional Vitamin D test shows an increase)
3) Vitamin D Receptor test (<$30) scores are difficult to understand in 2016
- easier to understand the VDR 23andMe test results analyzed by FoundMyFitness in 2018
4) Back Pain
- probably want at least 2 clues before taking adding vitamin D, Omega-3, Magnesium, Resveratrol, etc
- The founder of VitaminDWiki took action with clues #3&4
Franz J.J. Riedera, Charlotte Gröschelb, Marie-Theres Kastnera, Karin Kosulinc, Johannes Laengled, Rene Zadnikare, Rodrig Marculescue, Martina Schneidera, Thomas Lionc, f, Michael Bergmannd, Enikö Kallayb, Christoph Steiningera, christoph.steininger at meduniwien.ac.at
- Vitamin D is essential for the human body including antimicrobial responses.
- Cytomegalovirus infection downregulates VDR expression in vitro..
- Expression of CYP24A1 decreases and of CYP27B1 increases in parallel.
- VDR expression is not downregulated during influenza virus or adenovirus replication.
- Cytomegalovirus may also influence VDR expression in vivo.
Vitamin D (VD) is essential for the human body and involved in a wide variety of critical physiological processes including bone, muscle, and cardiovascular health, as well as innate immunity and antimicrobial responses. Here, we elucidated the significance of the VD system in cytomegalovirus (CMV) infection, which is one of the most common opportunistic infections in immunocompromised or -suppressed patients.
We found that expression of vitamin D receptor (VDR) was downregulated in CMV-infected cells within 12 hours [hrs] post infection [p.i.] to 12 % relative to VDR expression in mock-infected fibroblasts and did not recover during the CMV replication cycle of 96 hrs. None of the biologically active metabolites of VD, cholecalciferol, calcidiol, or calcitriol, inhibit CMV replication significantly in human fibroblasts.
In a feedback loop, expression of CYP24A1 dropped to 3 % by 12 hrs p.i. and expression of CYP27B1 increased gradually during the replication cycle of CMV to 970 % probably as a consequence of VDR inhibition. VDR expression was not downregulated during influenza virus or adenovirus replication. The potent synthetic vitamin D analog EB-1089 was not able to inhibit CMV replication or antagonize its effect on VDR expression. Only CMV replication, and none of the other viral pathogens evaluated, inhibited the vitamin D system in vitro. In view of the pleiotropism of VDR, CMV-mediated downregulation may have far-reaching virological, immunological, and clinical implications and thus warrant further evaluations in vitro and in vivo.
Clipped from PDF
- “Vitamin D supplementation is beneficial for patients with HIV, hepatitis C virus, Chlamydia spp. Or mycobacterial infection”
- “CMV infection downregulated VDR expression and this downregulation was specific for CMV and was not observed for other, common human viruses.”
- “In solid-organ and bone-marrow transplant patients, CMV is the most common opportunistic virus infection with an incidence of up to 85 % and is associated with significant morbidity and mortality”
- “VDR gene expression was even upregulated continuously during influenza virus infection. “
CMV is very commen, but most people are unaware of it
Cytomegalovirus downregulates Vitamin D receptor, but tissues respond by increasing production – Sept 2016
3307 visitors, last modified 27 Feb, 2017,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)Virus 332