Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and breast cancer in the military: a case-control study utilizing pre-diagnostic serum.
Cancer Causes Control. 2013 Jan 8.
Mohr SB, Gorham ED, Alcaraz JE, Kane CI, Macera CA, Parsons JK, Wingard DL, Horst R, Garland CF.
Division of Epidemiology, Department of Family and Preventive Medicine, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive 0620, La Jolla, CA, 92093-0620, USA, sbmohr75 at yahoo.com.
The objective of this study was to ascertain whether a relationship exists between pre-diagnostic serum levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25(OH)D) and risk of breast cancer in young women.
About 600 incident cases of breast cancer were matched to 600 controls as part of a nested case-control study that utilized pre-diagnostic sera. Logistic regression was used to assess the relationship between serum 25(OH)D concentration and breast cancer risk, controlling for race and age.
According to the conditional logistic regression for all subjects, odds ratios for breast cancer by quintile of serum 25(OH)D from lowest to highest were 1.2, 1.0, 0.9, 1.1, and 1.0 (reference) (p trend = 0.72). After multivariate regression for subjects whose blood had been collected within 90 days preceding diagnosis, odds ratios for breast cancer by quintile of serum 25(OH)D from lowest to highest were 3.3, 1.9, 1.7, 2.6, and 1.0 (reference) (p trend = 0.09).
An inverse association between serum 25(OH)D concentration and risk of breast cancer was not present in the principal analysis, although an inverse association was present in a small subgroup analysis of subjects whose blood had been collected within 90 days preceding diagnosis. Further prospective studies of 25(OH)D and breast cancer risk are needed.
- All items in Cancer - Breast at VitaminDWiki
- Vitamin D prescriptions in US Military increased 5X in 5 years – July 2015
- Breast Cancer chance decreased 16 percent for every extra ng of vitamin D – Jan 2013
- Vitamin D and Breast Cancer Incidence and Outcome – Jan 2013
- Compelling evidence – Breast Cancer and vitamin D – Dissertation June 2012
- Not enough women willing to stop taking vitamin D to permit breast cancer clinical trial – June 2012
- 4X less Breast Cancer if have enough vitamin D – Dec 2010
- Triple-negative breast cancer is 3X more frequent if less than 32 ng of vitamin D – March 2012
- Breast tumor 1 inch bigger for each 1 ng decrease in vitamin D – Dec 2011
- Overview Breast Cancer and Vitamin D
3X increased chance of Breast Cancer if recent vitamin D levels were low – Jan 2013
- Low levels of vitamin D associated with higher risk of premenopausal breast cancer News Medical Net Jan 2013 reporting on this study
4275 visitors, last modified 01 Jul, 2015,