Trends in Vitamin A, C, D, E, K Supplement Prescriptions From Military Treatment Facilities: 2007 to 2011.
Mil Med. 2015 Jul;180(7):748-753.
Morioka TY1, Bolin JT1, Attipoe S1, Jones DR1, Stephens MB1, Deuster PA1.
1Uniformed Services University, 4301 Jones Bridge Road, Bethesda, MD 20814.
- Suspect it has been more than 5X in the most recent 5 years
- This appears to be number of prescriptions, not the amount of IU prescribed
- Suspect that even more vitamin D was consumed which was not prescribed.
See also VitaminDWiki
- Military and Vitamin D
- 3X increased chance of Breast Cancer if recent vitamin D levels were low – Jan 2013 in military
- Suicide 2X more likely with low vitamin D (in military) – Jan 2013
- 3X less Multiple Sclerosis with enough vitamin D - Veterans Administration
- US Army learning about benefits of vitamin D to trauma – Dec 2013
- Huge increase in Vitamin D supplementation in the US military (2005-13) – Oct 2016
See also web
- Vitamin D Status and Monitoring in Female Veterans April 2015
Authors: Ahmad Alazzeh MDa, Maria M. Cooper MS IIa, Beth Bailey PhDb, Dima A. Youssef MDc, Todd Manning BAd & Alan N. Peiris MD
"Vitamin D deficiency in female veterans was also associated with increased health-care costs. "
- Vitamin D Status May Affect Resilience and Recovery from Mild Traumatic Brain Injury in Military Personnel May 2014 full text online
- Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Levels and Stress Fractures in Military Personnel: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis Nov 2014
Those with stress fractures had ~2 ng lower vitamin D levels at entry into basic training and at time of fracture
- Changes in vitamin D and matrix metalloproteinase-9 in submariners during a submerged patrol Feb 2014
Abstract free, Publisher charges $47 for the PDF
Thus huge potential economic benefits to military for increasing Vitamin D include:
DECREASED brain trauma, stress fractures, suicide. breast cancer, MS, time in ICU, etc.
DECREASED COST Of health care for both active military and veterans
INCREASED FORCE READINESS
By the way: Vitamin C was the focus of perhaps the first Randomized Controlled Trial (RCT) in 1758
It took the English govt over 100 years to give Vitamin C to their sailors
to increase "force readiness" to fight the French
Although prior studies have examined the prevalence of dietary supplement use among various populations, data on single vitamins prescribed by health care providers are limited.
This study examined trends in single-vitamin supplement (A, C, D, E, K) prescriptions by providers from military treatment facilities from 2007 to 2011.
We examined prescription data from the Department of Defense Pharmacy Data Transaction Service to determine trends in the aforementioned single-vitamin supplement prescriptions. Prescription rates per 1,000 active duty personnel were estimated using population data retrieved from the Defense Medical Epidemiology Database (i.e., [number of prescriptions/population size] × 1,000).
Across the 5-year period, the number of vitamin D prescriptions per 1,000 active duty personnel increased 454%. In contrast, the number of vitamin A, vitamin E, and vitamin K prescriptions per 1,000 active duty personnel decreased by 32%, 53%, and 29% respectively. Vitamin C prescriptions remained relatively constant. Across all age groups, total single-vitamin supplement prescriptions increased by 180%.
Together, prescriptions examined in this study increased steadily from 2007 to 2011, primarily because of the increase in vitamin D prescriptions. The exhibited trend reflects the current general-population pattern of dietary supplement use, with large increases in vitamin D and declines in vitamin E.
Reprint & Copyright © 2015 Association of Military Surgeons of the U.S.
Publisher wants $20 for the PDF
I thought that results of Govt funded studies were to be available FREE to the public
- Vitamin D prescriptions increased 75X in 8 years (Tuscany, Italy) – June 2015
- 20X increase in vitamin D sold and 36 percent decrease in osteoporosis business in Australia – Nov 2013
We anticipate seeing a decrease in Osteoporosis visits in Tuscony, like that in Australia
- Many more people now have vitamin D levels above 50 ng, especially seniors – May 2015
Increases in both Minnesota and Australia appear to be patient, rather than doctor initiated.
- Huge increase in UK vitamin D prescriptions by July 2012
- Big increase in vitamin D supplementation in just 2 years after Swiss rheumatology report – Dec 2013