Vitamin D status and hypercholesterolemia in Spanish general population.
Dermatoendocrinol. 2013 Jun 1;5(3):358-62. doi: 10.4161/derm.27497. Epub 2013 Dec 18.
Cutillas-Marco E 1, Prosper AF 2, Grant WB 3, Morales-Suárez-Varela MM 4.
Low serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] levels have been associated with increased prevalence of cardiovascular diseases. A possible relation between lipids and 25(OH)D might explain this association. This investigation aimed to determine the association between vitamin D and cholesterol, as well as the influence of statins on this association. This was a cross-sectional population-based study with 177 subjects aged 18-84 years. We collected demographics and data on sun exposure, sun protection habits, current medication including lipid-lowering drugs, and estimated vitamin D intake. Serum measurements included levels of 25(OH)D, parathyroid hormone (PTH), calcium, phosphorus, total cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, triglycerides, and fasting glucose. The mean 25(OH)D level was 24 ± 9 ng/ml. Young age (P = 0.04) and spending more than 1 h outdoors (P = 0.04) were independently associated with higher 25(OH)D levels. The 25(OH)D concentrations correlated negatively with total cholesterol (P = 0.01) and LDL cholesterol (P = 0.04) levels.
The adjusted OR for total cholesterol > 200 mg/ml was 2.8 (range, 1.1-7.5). Receiving statins was associated with higher 25(OH)D levels (P = 0.04). In conclusion, this study supports an association between 25(OH)D levels and cholesterol. Further studies are required to explain this association.
Download the PDF from VitaminDWiki
Cholesterol category in VitaminDWiki starts with the following
see also Overview Hypertension and Vitamin D
Search HLD OR LDL Overview Cardiovascular and vitamin D
Overview Cholesterol and vitamin D
- Less cholesterol in diet resulted in less vitamin D in blood (in mice) – Feb 2016
- Vitamin D levels are (again) associated with HDL cholesterol levels – Feb 2018
- More cholesterol is associated with more vitamin D – June 2013
- Cholesterol, Vitamins D3 and K2, heart disease, sulfates, LDL, – Masterjohn Interview Jan 2013
- Most Profitable Pill in Medical History Is Based on Flawed Science (Statins) May 2019
- Kids have recently reduced both cholesterol and vitamin D – Aug 2012
- Cholesterol is needed to produce both Vitamin D and Cortisol 2011?
- Cholesterol reduced by Vitamin D plus Calcium – RCT March 2014
- Eating less cholesterol is harmless other than it causes vitamin D deficiency – June 2011
- Vitamin D bioavailability is associated with cholesterol – Jan 2011
- Vitamin D increases HDL
- Overview Cholesterol and vitamin D
- Cholesterol and vitamin D book - 2009
|5712 visitors, last modified 08 Nov, 2021,