The Tim Ferriss Show, Episode 12: Dr. Rhonda Patrick on Life Extension, Performance, and Much More
Search VitaminDWiki for METHYLATION 354 items as of April 2018
Activation (methylation) of CYP2R1 and CYP24A1 predict response to dose of vitamin D – Oct 2013
Epigenetics, vitamin D, and Multiple Sclerosis includes methylation
Epigenetics of Multiple Sclerosis – March 2014
Vitamin D and the epigenome - April 2014
Health problems can persist through many generations – Epigenetics and Vitamin D
All-cause mortality is related to low Magnesium, rather than low Vitamin D – April 2015
5.8 X more likely to die in 15 year followup if low vitamin D and poor methylation – July 2018
Less DNA repair if nutrient deficient (Vitamin D, Magnesium, Omega-3, Vitamin K, etc) – Ames Oct 2018
Some highlights of 78 minute Podcast
- 00:00:30 - Who the episode is for: nerds, biohackers, people interested in life extension, dangers and promises of supplements, and performance enhancement.
- 00:08:34 - Preventing micronutrient deficiencies (magnesium, vitamin K, vitamin D, etc.) over time cause insidious deficiency that rear their head as age related diseases later like cancer, neurodegenerative diseases, type II diabetes and more.
- 00:09:45 - Explanation of Rhonda's use of the term "translational research". Applying mechanistic insights from science directly into practice where it's used in the real world.
- 00:11:03 - What causes micronutrient inadequacies?
- 00:11:40 - Clarification of definition of micronutrient inadequacy. Inadequacy is different from deficiency because symptoms may be subclinical and not observable unless you know what to look for.
- 00:12:30 - Magnesium is in the center of the chlorophyll molecule.
- 00:13:15 - Magnesium is essential for about 300 different enzymes in the body.
- 00:13:23 - Enter discussion of the triage theory. A theory that the body rations micronutrients to proteins and enzymes in the body for short-term, immediate survival.
- 00:16:30 - It makes sense to try to prevent damage (e.g. that of the insidious damage caused by micronutrient deficiency over years) than try to patch it up after the fact.
- 00:16:52 - Discuss of Vitamin K in nato, kimchee and vegetables. Covers pronunciation of nato!
- 00:17:44 - Focus on eating more green leafy vegetables chiefly instead of focusing on supplementing K2, since the K1 from green leafy vegetables convert K1 to K2. (Note: most people get sucked into minutiae instead of just addressing the most important fundamental - eat green leafy vegetables.)
- 00:21:50 - Minerals are required as cofactors for a lot of enzymes, because they're very small they're very similar in their structure. If you supplement too much of a given mineral and are disproportionately lacking in a mineral that is close on the periodic table then your enzymes will start to take use the wrong cofactors, which causes them to not work as well.
- 00:22:50 - Some studies show that the maximum amount of magnesium you can absorb from a single dose (supplementing) is something like 123mg.
- 00:25:22 - Supplementing context radically changes if a person is already in a diseased state.
- 00:30:25 - The difference between cancer initiators versus cancer promoters
- 00:30:57 - Begin discussion of IGF-1 (insulin-like growth factor 1).
- 00:41:58 - Begin "what is methylation?" (Epigenetics 101)
- 00:44:02 - Explanation of autophagy: the process by which cell essentials eats itself, destroying dysfunctional organelles, dysfunctional mitochondria & endoplasmic reticulum.
- 00:46:32 - Rhonda explains the difference between cancer initiators, which cause the initial mutation, and cancer promoters, which allow the caner cells to proliferate and reproduce.
- 00:48:28 - Epigenetic: epi means "on-top of". Epigenetics definition: changes in methylation/acetylation patterns (mostly) within your lifetime which influence the behavior of your genes in the context of your environment.
- 00:52:27 - Begin discussion of new study where the authors were able to demonstrate with an accuracy of around 96% the ability to predict someones age within 4 years by the methylation pattern of their genome alone.
SOME LINKS FROM THE EPISODE:
George Carlin – http://www.georgecarlin.com
Dr. Bruce Ames – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Ames
St. Jude’s donation link – https://shop.stjude.org/GiftCatalog/donation.do?cID=14262&pID=24671
Bluehost offers – http://www.bluehost.com/tim
Wellness FX – http://www.wellnessfx.comVitamix 5200 Blender
StemSave.com – http://www.stemsave.com/index.aspx
National Pulp Dental Laboratory – http://www.ndpl.net
Dr. Rhonda Patrick’s homepage – http://foundmyfitness.com
Rhonda on Twitter – @foundmyfitness
Rhonda on Facebook – facebook.com/foundmyfitness
A FEW BOOKS MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE:Nutrition and Physical Degeneration – Weston Price
Wild Fermentation – Sandor Katz and Sally Fallon
Spark – Eric Hagerman
The Paleo Solution – Robb Wolf
|5542 visitors, last modified 24 Oct, 2018,