2,400 patients over age 30
20 medical centers
4 year duration
Participants must not take > 600 IU of vitamin D if < 70 years old.
Suspect that this RCT will fail to get enough people willing to limit their levels of vitamin D.
Patients have not wanted to limit their vitamin D in several RCT in 2012 and 2013, so they were cancelled
4,000 IU may be enough Vitamin D for those who are not at high risk of being vitamin D deficient – such as elderly, darker skinned, obese, or shut-ins
One of the reasons is that this RCT is being widely announced - so lots of people are strongly suspecting the vitamin D will help
- Overview Diabetes and vitamin D Note: vitamin D appears to both PREVENT and TREAT diabetes
- Diabetes 10X less frequent among people getting lots of vitamin D - Aug 2013
- Clinical Trials for Diabetes and Vitamin D 178 trials as of Aug 2013
- INTERVENTION Clinical Trials for Diabetes and Vitamin D 144 trials as of Aug 2013
- INTERVENTION Clinical Trials for Type 1 Diabetes and Vitamin D 55 trials as of Aug 2013
- All items in Diabetes and Vitamin D
426 items: both Type 1 and Type 2
- Can This 7-Cent Vitamin Prevent Diabetes? Yahoo Health Nov 2013