The following is the result of a 60 minute search on the web.
Can understand now why cookies and pies baked with lard used to be so good for you.
Lard used to have a lot of vitamin D.
Clip – – –
The second richest source of vitamin D is lard. No, you didn't read that wrong — lard.
Lard ranks #18 on our list of the top 22 foods richest in cholesterol, and is over four times richer in vitamin D than its nearest competitor, herring.
Granted, the pigs need to be exposed to sunlight to generate vitamin D.
Food Sources of Vitamin D per 100 grams
Cod Liver Oil 10,000
Lard (Pork Fat) 2,800 (500 IU per teaspoon)
Lots of detail at http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=12850.0
Wonder if the higher price for lard, pork and bacon with vitamin D would pay for having UV enhanced lighting
http://www.ecrater.com/p/10645886/lard-quart $12 a quart - from pigs living in the wild in sunny Florida
Searching Google for "vitamin D" lard ("pastured pigs" OR "pastured pork") 2,00 hits Nov 2017
- "Free Range Lard" has lots of vitamin D and is good for you
- Vitamin D content of pork increased 3X with about 10 hours of noonday sun – Nov 2017
- Swine need sunshine or 500-2800 IU vitamin D3
- Overview Veterinary and Vitamin D
- All items: Food and vitamin D
- 12 new reasons why vitamin D deficiency is becoming epidemic
- Free-range bacon has 2800 IU of vitamin D per 100 grams
- Timeline of Heart Disease, Diabetes, fats, lard, HFCS, and vitamin D – Aug 2012
- Does Less Sun mean More Disease video made by VitaminDWiki includes a section on pies made with lard
Even food no longer provides as much Vitamin D as it did 100 years ago.
For example, in 1900, pie crust was made with lard from pigs raised outdoors.
Back then, just one piece of a double-crust pie provided 2000 IU of Vitamin D
Today, pie crust is made from vegetable oil or shortening.
How much Vitamin D? Zero.
"Free range" lard has 500 IU vitamin D per teaspoon
- USDA 100 IU in 100 grams of bacon grease - suspect not indoor pigs
- USDA Vitamin D not mentioned in microwaved bacon
- Demand Grows for Hogs That Are Raised Humanely Outdoors New York Times Jan 2014, No mention of vitamin D
- Lard: The Lost Art of Cooking with Your Grandmother's Secret Ingredient Book on Amazon (US) - vitamin D mentioned on only 1 page
55527 visitors, last modified 15 Nov, 2017,This page is in the following categories (# of items in each category)Food sources for Vitamin D 108
ID Name Comment Uploaded Size Downloads 4199 slice 0 ICU.jpg admin 28 Jul, 2014 11:21 29.99 Kb 9513 4198 Slice 2000.jpg admin 28 Jul, 2014 11:21 51.62 Kb 9892 4197 Pie 1900.jpg admin 28 Jul, 2014 11:21 38.68 Kb 9609 4196 Lard Cooking.jpg admin 28 Jul, 2014 11:12 49.35 Kb 9582 462 pig building.gif Outside Editor 19 Feb, 2011 13:28 35.28 Kb 12493 461 pig inside.gif Inside Editor 19 Feb, 2011 13:28 55.31 Kb 15050
Search For a Page