Want to Live Longer? Turn Off Your TV Time Magazine
This was a study of 11,000 Australians in 2008
A previous study in June 2011 found that for every 2 hours of additional TV watching there was a 13% increase of dying in the next 7 years
Possible reasons which they listed: lack of exercise, tendency to eat junk food
Note: Disadvantaged and people who have not finished high school watch TV more and do not live as long.
VitaminDWiki adds a reason: By using TV/video games/multimedia not get out in the sun as much.
Would be nice to find a study of how much vitamin D levels decrease with hours of watching TV.
- - - - -
Does watching TV really kill you? Jan 2010
- Disadvantaged get less sun and have poor health in the North– Aug 2011
- Study quantified the problems of increased TV watching by toddlers – May 2010
- Teens increasingly indoors - especially if have dark skin
- Vitamin D is essential to the modern indoor lifestyle
- Analysis of the time people spend outdoors – Dec 2010
- Many reasons why vitamin D deficiency has become epidemic
- Dark skinned teens use media much more - June 2011
That web page has the following graphic
- - - - - - - - -
5 hours of TV a day = 1825 per year = 91,250 per 50 years
20 minutes = 1/3 hour.
1/3 * 91,250 = 30,416 hours = 1267 days = 3.5 years: possible